Bent steel rim sliding into curb... Ih8snow?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my rim is bent, and steering wheel isn't tracking straight (but truck seemed to drive the same otherwise).

I'm assuming a bent rod within the steering, won't know till warm weather.

But what about this rim, fixable? Damage seen at bottom of picture.

If not, anyone know what rims these are? Some steel 16s..

IMG_20211231_165409.jpg

Hammer it back using a piece of wood...and a hammer.

edit:you're still looking for replacement wheel FTR, but this should get you home if you're stranded and have an air pump.

Last edited:
Rim shop might be able to help as long as it isn’t majorly bent up.

Yeah, touch it up with a hammer and block

Maybe Procomp wheel, but not sure.

Also, check the output shaft (sector shaft) on the steering box to see if the splines visible between the steering box and the pitman arm are straight.

I slid into a drain and the impact was enough to twist the sector shaft which put the steering wheel out of position by about 45⁰

Yeah, touch it up with a hammer and block

Maybe Procomp wheel, but not sure.

Also, check the output shaft (sector shaft) on the steering box to see if the splines visible between the steering box and the pitman arm are straight.

I slid into a drain and the impact was enough to twist the sector shaft which put the steering wheel out of position by about 45⁰

The sector shaft looks fine. All the rods and ends do as well, I'm hoping that doing a toe adjustment and then straightening the steering wheel with the drag link arm will make it "normal"

But I'm also worried about all that could of bent... I just rebuilt my entire front axle and diff, new bearings and everything that could be tweaked.... I'm very mad at myself.

Don't forget the wheel bearings too. I slid into a wall on a dirt trail going too fast around a bend in the wet. Once I could see the hit was going to happen I straightened the wheels as I hit, which saved the steering components, but I still shattered one of the wheel bearings. That force has to go somewhere.

I had a set if those pro comp wheels and while they were good for the price they bend very easily. I am guessing that took the impact and hopefully other components are fine.

So, my rim is bent, and steering wheel isn't tracking straight (but truck seemed to drive the same otherwise).

I'm assuming a bent rod within the steering, won't know till warm weather.

But what about this rim, fixable? Damage seen at bottom of picture.

If not, anyone know what rims these are? Some steel 16s..

View attachment 2880407

IIRC the only aluminium wheels which are certified for a serious impact (something like 40 MPH into a 4" kerb?) are those made in Japan but, in my opinion if off road or in something like snow I would run steel rims like yours, they bend quite easily and can be straightened when out on the trail as per @mudgudgeon wood and hammer. I have all aluminium on my 80 but when off road I carry two aluminium spares anyway.

That appears repairable, remember to run a file on the inside where the rim is hammered out, and perhaps run a bead of silicone on the inside where the area was damaged, have it re-balanced and should be job done.

Regards

Dave

I had a bent rim like that on my trailer by hitting a curb a few years ago. My local tire shop (not a big name one) was able to fix it easily. Took the guy like 5 minutes and they didn't charge me anything.

On the steering wheel also check the length of threads sticking out on each end of the drag link and tie rod. I hit a rock once and it somehow pulled the rod end down exposing more threads on one side (think it was passenger). Not sure how it did it without damaging any threads, maybe the clamp wasn't tight enough? Anyway, I adjusted that end, so it matched the other end per FSM, and it put my wheel right back where it needed to be. Been a few years since that and many miles and no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom