Be honest, do you like the FJ Cruiser....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i fit in it
have 75k on it
only problem was a little air thing that made engine run slow==$300

comfortable
and have learned to live with visibility and stoplight issues

I have an '08 Trail Teams and previously had an '07 "B" Package. It's a great truck with incredible handling and great on/off road manners. Previously had an '86 HJ60 which was a beast but rode like a school bus and you couldn't see a damned thing at night. The FJC has tons of head/foot room and is one of the only vehicles I've been in where I didn't have to have the seat all the way back to be comfortable. In contrast, I also have an '03 Sequoia LTD and I have to have the driver's seat all the way back and even then, I wish I had a little more room. The FJC is nimble and drives wonderfully. Sure, it's not the greatest on gas, you do need to consider your clearances a little more when in a parking lot and you do have to kind of peer up to see traffic lights but it looks so damned sweet that you live with it. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. They may not be perfect wheelers, or fuel sipping commuters but they do most things pretty darned well.

I have several posts on this thread........

My 2007 TRD has 88000 miles.
Bought it new, Dec 2006.
I love the truck, the only issues that I have had are as follows:
Cracked arm rest on driver's door; replaced under goodwill by Toyota last month,
Hole in cloth arm rest, replaced under warranty,
Headlite ECM solenoid switch, replaced under warranty.

Tires are original BFG's with 7/32nds.
Most tanks get 18-20 mpg(auto)
CAI has been great, added alot of pickup and intake noise.
Resale value is holding nicely.
I have considered getting something different, but everytime that I go there, the value, comfort and fun factor of the FJ keeps me in this truck. I have an 80 and a 62 but this is my favorite DD.
I strongly recomend it............gm

I have had mine for almost 3 months and love it. Excited to drive again after driving fullsize crew cabs for many years.

I've posted before in this thread- an update-

I'm still beating on mine after 2.5 years... Used mainly for off-road purposes in a professional setting. It rarely gets driven on the street unless to the trail.

Others have talked about the pros and cons. So, I won't touch on that again. But, in short- if you are looking for a daily driven rig, an expedition rig, or something that you want to learn on, this is a fantastic truck.

You simply are going to be limited on tire sizing under the IFS. I've run 35" for well over a year now on 4.88's and an ARB up front. You can only get so much ground clearance with this vehicle. I won't do a SAS as I have other SA vehicles to choose from.

Replaced under warranty-
A/C Compressor/clutch
Power steering pump
Power steering rack
Trans/Bell Housing/ Clutch, etc. (HORRIBLE FLAW on 6pd. trans , same as Tacoma..)
Rear diff housing
Pulleys on front of motor

Parts broken on trail-
none

Great for all around 4x4 fun. IMO, best for expeditions and moderate off-road. Not going to be a championship rock crawler without ditching the IFS. NOT to say it doesn't hold it's own with a proper suspension setup!

It works for what it is. And it does it wonderfully!!

Replaced under warranty-
A/C Compressor/clutch
Power steering pump
Power steering rack
Trans/Bell Housing/ Clutch, etc. (HORRIBLE FLAW on 6pd. trans , same as Tacoma..)
Rear diff housing
Pulleys on front of motor

all this broke??? Jebus.

all this broke??? Jebus.

I use it in a professional setting, ie commercial.
And, I wheel it. :) I should add the trans was a freebie and didn't fail.

They aren't THAT beefed up.. ;)

Flip open Toyota 4x4 mag., or Overland journal- find Bajarack's ad. That's me in the sandstone FJ. ;) promo shot I did for them.

Last edited:
Sold mine and bought an 80, will never look back.

If the FJC actually came with 4-doors it might be more popular. Current model does look good, I might get a used one in the future :D

buy a 4R if you want four doors. :)

the FJ is awesome with it's clam-shells. And unique.

my 6'4" 300lb. friend actually doesn't mind it back there.. go figure.. It's def. closed in.

Cheers,

When we got our first FJ I did not like it all. I did not like the way it looked or felt. Then I went on first wheeling trip as the driver and I was hooked. I loved what it can do and handle and I went out and bought my own. Putting it to the test in a week at Ouray and then Moab. I love it.

What's the best and oldest (cheap) used FJC

What can I say after reading NGA-FJC's endorsement... "It has been as reliable as my dog and has outlasted two wives"? So I will also consider an FJC as an expedition (painting) rig along with my current options of a BJ 45 or 40, heck, I'll even consider gas @ 20mpg as not so bad. I don't think my dog will mind.

manual gearbox, awd, decent power, decent mpg, roomy, great offroad, toyota reliability, wife loves it but hates driving the 80. my only negative is the rear windows don't open.

I just purchased a 2011 FJC (1st new ride in 20 yrs)…it’s been 4 days and I think I’ll drive this into the ground and the give it to my boy in 4 years when he starts driving. My garage has a ’02 Sequoia, FJ62, and now an ’11 FJC…IMO Toyota make an all-round great vehicle.

The FJC compared to my FJ62 really isn’t a comparison at all…the FJ62 is rugged and built tough for the dirt but sucks in mountain passes. The FJC is a nice ride on the road…hasn’t seen dirt yet but I can’t wait to blaze through the passes on the way to Mammoth; finally I’ll be the one doing the passing. From what everyone is saying its great off-road also. So I’m positive I made the right choice…best of both worlds. I’m also considering selling my FJ62…just thinking.

Hell YES as well! This is our second.
Stock, it is great for moderate wheeling...all we do at the moment. The old one went down Wipe Out Hill without a bump or scrape the first time. It is also very stable feeling compared to our Xterra when driving briskly over rolling, rutted, eroded grazing land.
AND you get there in comfort cruising at 79MPH, plenty of power in the mountains and its reliable. It also has modern safety features and excellent safety(IIHS) scores when compared to our Wranglers or 15+ year old Toys. Head and torso injuries after being T-boned by a drunk driver keeps safety as a major consideration. I 'enjoy' getting in it and driving the 'quirky thing'. The backup camera is cool. We test drove the new 4Runner. It doesn't 'feel' as fun although it is probably more practical. We don't need/want to be that practical(empty nesters).

I like FJ Cruisers, but the back end is butt ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom