Be honest, do you like the FJ Cruiser....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We've had ours for nearly two years and it has over 50,000 miles on it. We love it and definitely would buy another one. We actually are considering buying a second one soon (holding out for better incentives). As for the headroom, the abundant headroom was one of the major pluses for us. The car before this one was a diesel new beetle which actually has a lot of headroom. Having been used to that we felt claustrophobic in most of the other vehicles we test drove. We have a farm so the lack of carpet was also a positive thing (actually ordered my F 250 with the carpet deleted.) We like the open feeling and the distinctive styling.

Really, overall the FJ has been a good vehicle. The flat windshield is always dirty and yes the mileage isn't great (although when I drive it I get 22.6 on the highway opposed to my partner's 20mpg - driving styles differ drastically). I think for what Toyota offers here, the FJ is a good buy. I can't imagine why anyone would pay more for a 4Runner which to me feels cramped and cluttered.

I too wish that Toyota offered the Landcruiser 70 Series in the US- particularly in diesel - but for what Toyota offers here, the FJ Cruiser is a quality product and is reasonably priced. I definitely would buy another!

I like it quite a bit. To be honest, I bought it to wheel and it's not my first 4x4 Toyota.

In fact I use it to guide trails of various difficulty and it's off-road often. I don't beat it, but use it fairly rigorously. lol..

In stock form it is a good truck, but easily made better. Slap some armor on it, better tire and better suspension and it'll go a long way.

I also own an FZJ80. I actually wheel the FJ more. I know.. blasphemy! I love both of my Cruisers. ;)

http://www.illtuned.com/v4/images/FJMuddyholeweb.jpg

In the long run, It's up to the person shopping to make the decision if they like it or not. There's not much NOT to like IMHO. It is what it is.. :popcorn:

Peace!

Last edited:
I had one for 2 years, recently sold it and personally would not buy another only because of my kids. If it were just me and the wife I'd consider it, but likely would favor the 4 Runner in its place because of more room, real doors & better visability (the FJ is like driving a football helmet). In any case I think it is a very capable vehicle even in stock form, has loads of personality and is very reliable from my experience, but would definitely be better suited to a couple than a family because of the funky door & no rear window configuration.

I am not sure how you are getting 21 hwy.:confused:
Toyota rates the FJ as
MPG (city) 15
MPG (highway) 18
MPG (combined) 16

I am definitely not doubting you or your wife's findings because I know every person and every vehicle is different but in my case, there is a gas station in town that charges the same price for 87 and 89 octane gas and even when I run several tanks in a row of 89 I still get 21 mpg highway and 18 mpg city (actually town, 2000 pop.) I use a program on my PPC phone that tracks my mileage on every fill up.

Maybe I should ask them why it's the same price. Maybe it's not really 89 octane. They moved to a new location about 1/2 a year ago and started doing this, I figured it was just a promotional thing and they would stop after a couple months.

I don't understand how it costs $2 a tank more for regular. Around here regular is usually $.10 less than mid-grade so it should cost $1.50 less per 15 gallons. A tank is x number of gallons no matter how much your mileage is. She should be spending about $2 a tank less for regular but having to fill up 40 miles sooner. Which means she is saving a little over $1 per 300 miles using mid-grade. Of course if your "gas price to grade difference" is more than 1.61/.10 she would save more.

Toyota rates the FJ as
MPG (city) 15
MPG (highway) 18
MPG (combined) 16

I only drive downhill. I bought the FJC at Mt. McKinley Toyota in Alaska and once I reach Death Valley California I'm selling it.

The only thing I've done is the K&N Air Filter, which helps but probably not that much. And I definitely don't drive for mileage.

I only drive downhill. I bought the FJC at Mt. McKinley Toyota in Alaska and once I reach Death Valley California I'm selling it.

:lol: :clap:

I used to get over 20 mpg on the highway pretty regularly - when it was stock. Now I'm doing well to get 15. :meh:

The oil filter location is retarded.

So what is it about the filter location that is retarded?. Easy to get to, removing it without spilling a drop is a breeze if you have a system. I really like the fact that you don't have to crawl under a dirty truck and fish your hands between steering and hoses to try and get a wrench on a dirty filter. My oil changes are clean and quick. My hardest obstacle is putting an extension on the ratchet to remove the oil plug because of my budbuilt skid plates

Toyota rates the FJ as
MPG (city) 15
MPG (highway) 18
MPG (combined) 16
Those look like the numbers for the stick, not the auto.
In the case of the FJ, the auto gets far better MPG.

When mine was stone stock I was getting 21 combined city/freeway, and I check mine at each fillup.

Now that I have a roof top tent on full time, 33" mud tires, an OME lift, ARB bumper and winch, I am getting around 17 MPG combined.

The tent is what cuts into my MPG right now.

From a non-owner who has checked them out and wheeled with many of them:

The FJC is a unique vehicle. Depending on the buyer that could be good or bad.

Reasons why? Reliability, good powertrain/motor, and good off-road ability. If you're on MUD you're more likely an FJC "liker".

If you buy an FJC however as an "medium-sized SUV" then you might find your ownership experience more like Gumby's and some others. I could never live with one and for those very same reasons. Ownership satisfaction ratings are on the low side too I believe. I personally think the FJC is a crude "SUV" that is compromised in many ways in order to hit the price point and focus of it's design. Having an XTerra or a 4Runner (for example) would be so much easier to live with ever day while offering similar off-road capability.

So it depends....what buyer/user type are you? The FJC might be absolutely ideal for you, or, it might be a dud. Think it through.

Nice comments in this thread. I got mine in March '06--first batch off the cargo ship. I don't commute much with mine, so it is driven for fun and adventure. It does that job very well. I've had a 40, and 20 yrs later, the FJC's comfort factor and reliability are a plus. Not to say the 40 was mechanically challenged, but I was always working on it. I'm over the convertible thing too. Manipulating the tops and doors was half my work. I'm in the deserts and dunes of SoCal allot, so A/C and dust-free wheeling reduces the cleanup time. I generally only have one passenger, so the back seats are storage, and the suicide doors are simply cargo access (but nice to have room for 4, especially shuttling on mtn bike trails). I also scratched it up my 3rd month in Mammoth, so I got over the newness real quick. Pros and cons:

Pros: offroad capability, stock locker, 4 wheel disc brakes, sat radio and nice factory sound package (I have the 6-CD changer, integrated sat radio, aux input for MP3), no carpet or fancy fabric seats, roomy for two, mega aftermarket selections from yr 1, thermometer/compass, 110-V outlet for electronics, back-up sensors compensate for visibility issues, when the window(s) open it's like driving the 40 w/o the top/doors, head-turner (especially that first ride from LA to San Diego, much like the 40 with the top off).

Cons: front seats suck (neck cramp after extended drives; they don't incline fwd given the small suicide doors--wtf), can't open the rear glass without the ignition key (can Toyota say "button"?), no traditional paint colors when they first came out, no secure tool storage, when the window(s) open it's like driving the 40 w/o the top/doors, recommended 91 octane, black plastic dash, anti-lock brakes seem to worsen braking time (and scares the crap out of me).

Still a bitchen ride though!!! I'd do it again...

Learn to use the side mirrors
Install Cameras (backup for starters)

I'm actually in the planning stages of hooking up a series of cameras and a DVR for trail guiding.

Front
Front Approach angle
Rear (backup)
Rear Departure
Under (Skid)

The blind spot(s) aren't so bad really when you use the backup sensor in conjunction with the side mirrors.

Just my .02$

I'm actually in the planning stages of hooking up a series of cameras and a DVR for trail guiding.

Front
Front Approach angle
Rear (backup)
Rear Departure
Under (Skid)

The blind spot(s) aren't so bad really when you use the backup sensor in conjunction with the side mirrors.

Just my .02$

Wow. Cool. Glad I asked.

Good idea :)

what do you mean by .02$? :eek:

Front
Front Approach angle
Rear (backup)
Rear Departure
Under (Skid)

Just my .02$

"my .02$" aka "my two cents"

It's an expression, in other words, "In my opinion"

Giving advice based on my personal taste and opinion.

It's a matter of subjectivity that the FJ has blindspots and what to do to "fix" them.

:beer:

more info : My two cents (idiom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the clarification :)

there's another dislike with the FJ, the wipers last longer than the windshield :hmm:

Thanks for the clarification :)

there's another dislike with the FJ, the wipers last longer than the windshield :hmm:

:lol:

That is the truth! First windshield didn't stand a chance against a very large rock. So, I cannot really complain.

2nd one however, got two small chips from what seemed to be light hits.

Wipers, still original! LOL..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom