Be honest, do you like the FJ Cruiser....... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We looked at them when the wife needed a new rig. Did'nt work for us. s***ty visibility, ugly, no 4 doors was the deal breaker. I wanted to like it and could get over the daisy wagon look but its jut not practical with kids. Bought a 4door Jeep (ugh, I know) instead and its growing on me. top comes off a lot more civilized than my old wrangler was.

Think of how your buying a Jeep is helping an American company. They make a shat load of profit off the wranglers, I think you know why, when you own one. I understand that they are going to upgrade them in a couple of years with that new V6 engine and a new transmission, when they do you can trade up.

Loved the FJ for almost 4 years. Then in about 72 hours... I was ready to get rid of it. The main gripes were...
- Started wanting more lux stuff, e.g. leather, power seats, automatic (had the 6M), etc.
- Too small: Just too tight for 4 guys + gear (mountain biking); family trips, trips to Home Depot, etc.

My wife has an Acura MDX. I'd drive that and think "Man... I want this comfort and room, but with the FJ's off-road capability. Thought a Lexus GX470 might be the perfect solution. But couldn't get passed the idea of driving a Lexus... despite the Prado platform. ;)

So, I replaced the FJ with its daddy...
DSC_1103.jpg

Loved the FJ for almost 4 years. Then in about 72 hours... I was ready to get rid of it. The main gripes were...
- Started wanting more lux stuff, e.g. leather, power seats, automatic (had the 6M), etc.
- Too small: Just too tight for 4 guys + gear (mountain biking); family trips, trips to Home Depot, etc.

My wife has an Acura MDX. I'd drive that and think "Man... I want this comfort and room, but with the FJ's off-road capability. Thought a Lexus GX470 might be the perfect solution. But couldn't get passed the idea of driving a Lexus... despite the Prado platform. ;)

So, I replaced the FJ with its daddy...
DSC_1103.jpg

Good move and you will be happy every day with your decision based on your stated needs. When I lived in the states I owned 3 different 100 series, best vehicle I've ever owned. I like the safety aspect of the 100 series, big heavy SUV. For me the FJ works well on Maui, small island smaller vehicle :) Enjoy! PS- Love the color.

I bought my stock '08 at the beginning of March this year and have put 12K on it. I modded it, took it west from NH to Cruise Moab 2011, modded it some more since I've gotten back and keep wheeling it. The FJ40 stays in the garage and the FJC is driven every day. It's a very comfortable off-roader and the 18-20 MPG doesn't hurt either.

Think of how your buying a Jeep is helping an American company. They make a shat load of profit off the wranglers, I think you know why, when you own one. I understand that they are going to upgrade them in a couple of years with that new V6 engine and a new transmission, when they do you can trade up.

Do you mean that American company owned by Fiat and we poor taxpayers?

I bought my stock '08 at the beginning of March this year and have put 12K on it. I modded it, took it west from NH to Cruise Moab 2011, modded it some more since I've gotten back and keep wheeling it. The FJ40 stays in the garage and the FJC is driven every day. It's a very comfortable off-roader and the 18-20 MPG doesn't hurt either.

I'm totally with you on this. I'm no brand loyalist, just loyal to good vehicles (and some not so good :rolleyes:), and my history of vehicles leading up to this point definitely reflects it. I came out of 13yrs behind the wheel of a modded VW GTI with almost 200k on it now. Got my FJ (stock '08) in late August last year with just 12k miles on it. Looked long and hard before I found the one in Virginia. Sandstorm 4x4 5AT, RR Diff Lock, ATRAC, no roof rack. It has 35k on it already. Haven't modded anything except storage. It's a great daily-driver and the 18-20mpg hurts a lot less than the full-size pickup I originally wanted. Single, no kids, only occasionally carry passengers.

Sure it lacks some of the capability of a solid front axle vehicle, but it rolls better when I hit the beach and on my daily trip to work down I-35. The FJ is no 100-Series, but it's downright plush (especially the ride) compared to my GTI. Some see ugly, I just see the only current Toyota model with any character. The other day a young lady with a brand-new Sahara Tan-colored JK commented how 'Toyota even copied her Jeep's color.' I didn't have the heart to tell her mine was 3yrs old already, and that I actually like the Jeep tan color a little more than Toyota's. In the end it's all relative to opinion. At this point my FJ is perfect for me and, unless I win the lottery anytime soon, I plan to keep this sucker for a very long time.

:cheers:

This past weekend I went out with a bunch of guys up here in Northern New England from my club, Yankee Toys. I followed a built 80 and a built FJ60 around some serious trails on private property as well as going on some more moderate trails with some other folks. (One other FJC owner guy commented on how surprised he was that I pushed my rig hard since I only had bought it at the beginning of March. I told him I bought it to wheel it, now just drive around.) I have an FJ40, I really do like wheeling the FJC better. More comfortable and way more confident when things get hairy. I'm on the far side of 60, so conficence and comfort are important.

Someday the FJC will have even more mods. I'm probably going to go to 6" lift, lower gears and 35's in the next year. Maybe an Inchworm Lefty and solid axle front end someday.

My advice? Armor it, wheel it, and armor it some more. Skidplates, rockrails and bumpers help a low truck lifted or not to avoid damage when it is in a bit over its head.

If you follow my posts since March, you'll see where I wheel and some of the changes I've made.

I have had my FJC for 2 years, which I bought used. It has 55k on it and never had any issues. I had a wreck where guy pulled out in front of me, didn't do hardly any damage but totaled his car.

I have only wheeled it once, and was super surprised at how capable it was. The biggest issue is not always seeing over hood at times, but good spotting helps.

Some of things I love are how basic it is, doesnt ever get super hot sitting in sun, how nice it drives. It does have a few things I dislike but they aren't major issues for me, no venting side windows,little better center console, and could have made a lower profile full rack!

I am very happy with it day in and day out.

I've had mine for 3 years now. I bought it with about 10,000 miles and have almost 45,000 on it. I started wheeling it mildly and progressed to more difficult trails. Only thing that holds me back is that it is still relatively new. I do run blue and some blue/black trails at Rausch Creek.

The only problem is that it makes wheeling easier. :D Power steering, great ride, all trac and rear locker kind of spoil me. Makes returning to the 55 a little more difficult each time. :)

It is quite a bit wider than my 55 and it is noticeable on the trails but the turning radius makes up for it.

So, to answer the question, yes I like my FJC.

My points exactly.

I've owned 40's off and on since the mid-70's. I am 63. They are great rigs. On a 30% off camber grade with a wheel up, I'm still more comfortable in the FJC. The 40 is more rugged for sure, but it is really an antique technology wise these days. Yeah, I wish the FJC had a front solid axle like a Wrangler, but then it would be just another Jeep. IFS is superior at speed offroad and in the desert.

UPDATE! No shortcomings with 18K now added since March purchase. I'll be at 50K this weekend.

I bought mine in August of '06 and I love it. I did have one wheel sensor go out and had a loose tie rod end replaced. I should turn over 153,000 miles later today.

The FJC is car No 40, and Cruiser No 16, [mostly 80's] and I am in a situation where me, and the guys at my shop work on, and modify Cruisers to suit customers needs rather than fit accessories, so I get to drive many different set ups, and think about what works for me. Any week we can go from Prado's, with power upgrades, suspension, to supercharged V8 100's, to 200's, to turbo petrol and turbo diesel 80's, and everything in between.

As a 2 up tourer I use it for, its quiet, smooth, reasonably efficient, especially on LPG, which reduces my fuel bill by 45% it has tonnes of room up front, has all the electrics I want, and some I can switch off [hacks inc] and the length and wheelbase make it pretty nimble, and it drives like a vehicle with all its weight between the wheels, not overhanging the wheels.

On the trips I have run, where Cruiser fanatics have ridden shotgun, everyone is surprised on how roomy, how well,a nd how good these things are in the skin [we only got the April this year dont forget]

For the best on road/offroad/touring set up, where it is very good at all, but not awesome at any, its a great all rounder, with afew mods to improve it.

Its got character, [like it or loathe it] and Toyota reliability, with a Jeep price tag.

Im sure to the mechanically bankrupt, its possible to compare to a wrangler, but they really arent near parity anwhere, but price here.

Yeah, definitely. If I buy something, I like it. FJ is the best looking car in the world (with lift/big tires)!

oil filter is in a sweet spot, don't have to take all those damn pans off the bottom!!!!

I work on them and they are very mechanically sound, occasional water pump/wheel bearing, every thing else is maintainance

The FJC is car No 40, and Cruiser No 16, [mostly 80's] and I am in a situation where me, and the guys at my shop work on, and modify Cruisers to suit customers needs rather than fit accessories, so I get to drive many different set ups, and think about what works for me. Any week we can go from Prado's, with power upgrades, suspension, to supercharged V8 100's, to 200's, to turbo petrol and turbo diesel 80's, and everything in between.

As a 2 up tourer I use it for, its quiet, smooth, reasonably efficient, especially on LPG, which reduces my fuel bill by 45% it has tonnes of room up front, has all the electrics I want, and some I can switch off [hacks inc] and the length and wheelbase make it pretty nimble, and it drives like a vehicle with all its weight between the wheels, not overhanging the wheels.

On the trips I have run, where Cruiser fanatics have ridden shotgun, everyone is surprised on how roomy, how well,a nd how good these things are in the skin [we only got the April this year dont forget]

For the best on road/offroad/touring set up, where it is very good at all, but not awesome at any, its a great all rounder, with afew mods to improve it.

Its got character, [like it or loathe it] and Toyota reliability, with a Jeep price tag.

Im sure to the mechanically bankrupt, its possible to compare to a wrangler, but they really arent near parity anwhere, but price here.

Great to hear your views based on your great experience. I have a 2wd which is great for living in Maui Hawaii. If I lived in the states I would have gotten a manual 4x4.

I am not a fan of the FJC's styling. I think Toyota could have come up with something more akin to a Heep Wrangler, IFS and all. My sister has a pretty tricked out one and loves it but I was hoping for a modern 40 series. Maybe next time Toyota...

Just sold my 07 Jeep Wrangler to buy a 07 Toyota Fj...Jeep was crap! made alll kinds of noises, the quality was un impressive to say the least!

Ive always driven toyota and i thought id try something diffent by trying out the 4 door jeep wrangler...worst mistake! It doesnt even come close to the quality the fj cruiser has.

I dont think Ill ever sell my 07 Fj it is just to much fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom