Builds bcomnes' 1991 3FE FJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So here is an interesting problem:

- I installed LED tail lights.
- my radio started dimming when I was in drive, as if I had my lights on when they weren’t.
- I diagnosed that when the car is running, I get a small phantom voltage on my illumination circuit (dash lights, dimmer circuit) but only when the car is in drive or
Lower gear and running.
- with led tail lights the voltage fluctuates from 3-4 volts.
- with incandescent, that voltage drops to about 1 volt.
- with the lights on, it’s a solid 12ish volts as it should be.

Not sure the source yet, but I’m definitely getting it on the illumination wire behind the radio.

Anyone have any ideas where the source of this voltage could be coming from when in drive?

I don’t think it’s a grounding issue, in the sense I have checked with various ground points with no difference, unless something else is grounding through this circuit.

Full set of interior and exterior LEDs for a 91 FJ80 arrived from superbrightleds.com (except for a couple wedge types that were out of stock, and high-low beam pairs).

Opted for LED color matching over color filters, and warm white LED where a white incandescent was used before.

View attachment 2511632
Just screenshot me your order for this! Haha (no, seriously) I need to replace basically every interior building in my 91 as well. Most in my gauge cluster no longer work

Just screenshot me your order for this! Haha (no, seriously) I need to replace basically every interior building in my 91 as well. Most in my gauge cluster no longer work
See Builds - bcomnes' 1991 3FE FJ80 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bcomnes-1991-3fe-fj80-build.1188065/page-2

I swapped the tail lights for Amazon product ASIN B08CT97R7P which worked better.

I'm not 100% sold on LEDs tbh. They work fine for dash replacements, backup and blink replacements. But the tail lights have caused all sorts of weirdness with just finding compatible LEDs. I'm contemplating switching back to incandescent dash lights, keeping exterior LEDs, and interior lighting LEDS (map, cabin, glovebox).

Some other cons for LEDs:

- The Neo wedge LEDs don't have the same light characteristics as the tiny OEM bulbs. Some things don't light up evenly.
- The LEDS are a lot brighter, kinda too bright
- The tail light LEDs caused phantom voltages in my illumination circuit, had to compensate behind my double DIN to fix the dimmer.

Also, I need to re-order the Green LEDs. They are way too green. Need to get warm white and use the green lens condoms to get the OEM lighting tint.

See Builds - bcomnes' 1991 3FE FJ80 Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bcomnes-1991-3fe-fj80-build.1188065/page-2

I swapped the tail lights for Amazon product ASIN B08CT97R7P which worked better.

I'm not 100% sold on LEDs tbh. They work fine for dash replacements, backup and blink replacements. But the tail lights have caused all sorts of weirdness with just finding compatible LEDs. I'm contemplating switching back to incandescent dash lights, keeping exterior LEDs, and interior lighting LEDS (map, cabin, glovebox).

Some other cons for LEDs:

- The Neo wedge LEDs don't have the same light characteristics as the tiny OEM bulbs. Some things don't light up evenly.
- The LEDS are a lot brighter, kinda too bright
- The tail light LEDs caused phantom voltages in my illumination circuit, had to compensate behind my double DIN to fix the dimmer.

Also, I need to re-order the Green LEDs. They are way too green. Need to get warm white and use the green lens condoms to get the OEM lighting tint.
You’re the man! thanks for such meticulous record keeping on documenting your build, wish I would have done the same with mine.. now I don’t even want to know how much I’ve spent but I also plan on never getting rid of it. I’m weighing between leds as well, if only there was a way to add a dimmable option..

They are dimmable, but if you mix them with incandescent (especially the 74s) you get inconsistent brightness.

I guess tldr:

If you really love LEDS, get LEDS for everything, and you will have some oddities to work through.

If you sort of like LEDs where they count, get them for: headlights, side lights, parking lights, blinkers (+flasher relay), backup, cabin/map/glovebox. Maybe get them for tail/brake, but you might need resistors, or troubleshoot phantom voltages on your illumination circuit (at least on mine). Leave the dash as incandescent.

I have a mixed dash right now, and can't decide what to do lol.

Last edited:
Went out with @leonard_nemoy this weekend. Hit up birthing caves and saw the second cave this time. Lots of fun.

DSCF5638.jpeg

DSCF5647.jpeg

DSCF5656.jpeg

DSCF5659.jpeg

DSCF5685.jpeg

The 91 did great the entire time.... except when I got home. Caught a small pool of oil, leaking from the rear passenger strut.

IMG_6582.jpeg

Maybe all that mud jacked up a seal? Who knows. Looks like like I'm heading towards an iron man kit:

Replaced the totally broken exhaust bushing we noticed when fitting the sliders:

View attachment 2426107

View attachment 2426108

View attachment 2426109

View attachment 2426110

Bushing: 17567-61030 (x3)
Bushing nuts: 90179-06007 (x12)

Best prices on partsouq from my research. Liquid wrench managed to help get all old nuts off without breaking (except for one).
i have a 92 fj80 and I noticed the rear exhaust cushion or bushing is broken.
i have looked for any others and found a second broken one near the catalytic converter
i See from the pictures you attached you had three where is the third one located?
is there only three in the system
thanks in advance
how many are there

The 91 did great the entire time.... except when I got home. Caught a small pool of oil, leaking from the rear passenger strut.

View attachment 2573147

Maybe all that mud jacked up a seal? Who knows. Looks like like I'm heading towards an iron man kit:

Holy oily mud, batman!

i have a 92 fj80 and I noticed the rear exhaust cushion or bushing is broken.
i have looked for any others and found a second broken one near the catalytic converter
i See from the pictures you attached you had three where is the third one located?
is there only three in the system
thanks in advance
how many are there
Holy oily mud, batman!

Yeah it was just 3. Just follow the exhaust back to to the cat and you will see it. I can pull up the parts diagram on partsoqe if you can’t find it.

Quick updates:

I had a place called Armstrong Radiator rebuild my original radiator to fix a small leak beginning on the top tank. Parts and labor ~$1000 I also had them change the water pump for a new original OEM, replace the hoses and clamps for the radiator, as well as change out the thermostat. They broke a temp sensor removing the thermostat housing so that got replaced too.

I explored the Delemar mines and some springs in Nevada with @leonard_nemoy this weekend as well. Here are some shots of the area:

DSCF5809.JPG

DSCF5817.JPG

DSCF5826.JPG

DSCF5841.JPG

Ok Fixed the leaking wash bottle! A grommet was bad, but I also did some research into longer term solutions given the rear pump is NLA.

First off, the culprit. Rear washer pump gasget was toast. It felt very soft, like rubber starting to decompose soft.

IMG_7476.jpeg

I picked up two new gaskets, one for the rear, one for the front. Because the OM design had two different motors, they were different, however it appears that either could work. One was slightly longer and had a little rim for that mesh filter. It appears there is only one mesh filter gasket though you could probably do the same on either gasket if you had a second filter. nbd

IMG_7465.jpeg

Same size, different length.

IMG_7466.jpeg

The rear washer motor in my car looks... not exactly sure, probably aftermarket by a PO.

IMG_7469.jpeg

IMG_7470.jpeg

Its crazy to me they decided to use a slight motor size variant for the rear. I ordered a second front washer motor which is still available and decide to test it in the rear washer spot. It fit great! Though I did not fully hook it up, it did appear the front washer motor could stand in for the rear.... though you would have to source a different connector since those are also different. I'll probably look into that next.

Breaking for more photos.

IMG_7475.jpeg

Front washer motor installed in the rear washer motor slot. Perfect fit, just need to splice in the correct connector.

Some PNs

- 85330-50020 Front washer motor (still available)
- 85340-60040 Rear washer motor (NLA)
- 90099-32103 (front washer grommet, longer, has room for the mesh filter)
- 90099-32103 (rear washer motor grommet, they sent me 90068-32002, shorter, no room for the mesh filter)

I'll probably pick a second front washer motor while still available so I have a full spare kit for when these go.

@Delta VS sells a brand new OM wash bottle (without the extension tank afaict) which I am also planning on picking up for a spare.

Also noticed my gas cap holder clip was missing. Ordered a new one of those:

77399-60010

IMG_7477.jpeg

IMG_7478.jpeg

View attachment 2742903

Front washer motor installed in the rear washer motor slot. Perfect fit, just need to splice in the correct connector.

Some PNs

- 85330-50020 Front washer motor (still available)
- 85340-60040 Rear washer motor (NLA)
- 90099-32103 (front washer grommet, longer, has room for the mesh filter)
- 90099-32103 (rear washer motor grommet, they sent me 90068-32002, shorter, no room for the mesh filter)

I'll probably pick a second front washer motor while still available so I have a full spare kit for when these go.

@Delta VS sells a brand new OM wash bottle (without the extension tank afaict) which I am also planning on picking up for a spare.

Also noticed my gas cap holder clip was missing. Ordered a new one of those:

77399-60010

View attachment 2742916

View attachment 2742918
I didn't know what exactly was missing on my fuel door that would hold my gas cap. This appears to be it. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom