Builds bcomnes' 1991 3FE FJ80 Build

bcomnes

SILVER Star
All the original PNs for the various bolts and stuff are no longer made, and tracing down the bizarro JIS Toyota bolts elsewhere has proven quite difficult. Of course I could throw on regular metric bolts, but in case any one else wants to do this, here are the specs of replacement bolts that are still available:

@Bluegrass
It turns out the stud is still available,
Bolt Stud - Toyota (90116-12005) for about $2 list.

An interchange for a M12x1.75x32mm long bolt is 91212-51232 for about $3.40 list.

If you go the dealer route, add in two lock washers (one for the bolt, one for the stud) part no. 94512-01200 and one nut for the stud, 94115-41200.

It would be nice if you reported back to @Coolerman the specifics on the stud.

Thanks!

Did you ever fix your no start when hot issue. I had the same problem on mine and it was a relay located in the black box under the hood on the right side of the engine bay. I can't remember the name of the relay but I found something searching on here that pointed me in the direction. Seems like it was an ignition relay, EFI relay, or something like that.

Edit, here is a good thread on the EFI relay no start when hot.

SOLVED-I was being dumb! RTH - 3FE No Start

Last edited:

bcomnes

SILVER Star
Mine is a no crank issue when hot, which wouldn’t be affected by efi relay from what I can tell from the electronics diagram. Though I may possibly be affected by that as well, I’m testing for that variable as well.

f*** I finally got the lower bolt off the starter.

WD-40d the crap out of it a few hours ago, not sure if that helped or not.

- Breaker bar couldn't do it (not enough room and too much play)
- Impact hammer couldn't do it (at least the one I have)
- The extensions couldn't do it (would not stay on the bolt!!!)
- Coming at it from the wheel well didn't work
- Coming at it from the top didn't work
I forget sometimes that not everybody has the whole passenger side of the engine bay open... And also that not everyone has an adjustable-length rachet handle like this: 1/4 in. x 3/8 in. Dual Drive Extendable Ratchet

I used mine to both break and then remove the bolts. Super handy.

bcomnes

SILVER Star
Buying one. Traditional breaker bars are surprisingly useless in tight spaces.

The key was getting everything I could out of the way, namely the vape can, and also the transmission dip stick.

Top Bottom