Baselined a year ago and time for first oil change.....what else should I do? What needs to be done annually or bi annually? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally have some time now with the holidays winding down. She was baselined a year or so ago and I've only put a few thousand miles on her but it's time for an oil change. 240K miles on her, previous owners have been using synthetic so I'm going to stick with that I'm thinking 10w-40. Also going to send a sample off to blackstone. I am using the Toyota reusable air filter so going to clean that out as well.

What oil filter do you guys suggest and where are you getting it from?

What other preventative maintenance would you guys suggest? Whatever you guys would consider annual or even bi annual.

Thanks fellas!

I'm sure the owners and service manuals have a lot of maintenance information that could help you put together a plan. Given your lower miles per year use you may consider doing some items based on the passing of time vs. miles. Specifically changing engine coolant and brake fluid based on time vs. miles is likely smart as the coolant can loose it's corrosion resistance and brake fluid can accumulate water when sitting, etc.

Here's a rough overview of my 80s regular maintenance schedule though it's still evolving and incomplete. I try to do work on the 80 in the Spring and Fall when the weather is nice and try to lump maintenance work into those periods where possible. I also periodically inspect and address things that aren't on this schedule, etc.

tire rotation5k miles
engine oil10k milesoil drop/refill + filter
wheel bearing svc30kbearing grease, inspect/replace, seals, etc.
spark plugs30kOEM plug is a Denso K16R-U
birf svc int.60kMoly grease, switch side to side, seals, trunions.
grease shafts6 monthsujoints, slip joints/yolks
knuckle grease6 months13mm open end wrench, NLGI #2 lithium based Molybdenum fortified grease, 30 squirts with grease gun
transmission1 year1 gallon out of pan and new added
coolant1 yearRadiator drain/refill and clean overflow tank and rad cap. Takes a bit under 2 gallons.
brake fluid2 yearflush/bleed
transfer case2 yearsdrain/refill
front diff2 yearsdrain/refill
rear diff2 yearsdrain/refill
power steering fluid3 yearsdrain/refill

Francis, I recommend you drive it more!

I use Toyota oil filters. 90915-YZZD3. They’re cheap, plentiful, and recommended. Don’t forget the gasket for the oil drain plug 90430-12031.

The severity of usage with a landcruiser is more a dictator of service requirements than time or miles.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, @jpoole that list is perfect exactly what I was looking for!

Funny I must have jinxed myself, new problem starting her up tonight....time for a new thread 🤦🏻‍♂️

Other than the official maintenance reqs, a lot will come down to how you use it...

For example... Here in AZ, where there is basically zero moisture... I can get by with my brake fluid lasting quite a while.

If you do a lot of water crossings, especially in flowing water... you really should be doing wheel bearings sooner and the grease will get contaminated.

If you are doing a lot of mountain passes or towing, your trans fluid should get exchanged often (for me, I like to drain and fill the few quarts in the pan when I do my oil change).

If you keep it long enough and do it regularly enough, you will start to notice stuff.

For oil filters, I like running Motorcraft FL1A and here is why:
Been doing some research and in doing so I learned that the motorcraft FL-1A is a Purolator PureOne. It's the same exact filter but can be had cheaper. It contains 400 square inches of filter medium as opposed to 225 in the toyota -yzzd3. In defense o the toyota filter, it is larger than the other over the counter compact filters called out for the 1fz and contains nearly twice the filter medium as some of these other filters. If toyota puts these same filters on new engines that they warrant then they must be descent.

I too prefer the larger filter. A good anti drain back valve is important since our filters mount horizontally. Some filters don't have this feature so be sure of what you are installing.

Francis, I recommend you drive it more!

I use Toyota oil filters. 90915-YZZD3. They’re cheap, plentiful, and recommended. Don’t forget the gasket for the oil drain plug 90430-12031.

I drive her every day! I live 3 miles from my warehouse and this year all I have done is work 🤦🏻‍♂️

I drive her every day! I live 3 miles from my warehouse and this year all I have done is work 🤦🏻‍♂️
3 mile runs day after day are bad juju. In that case the oil needs to be changed more often like what grandpa taught; every 3,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom