Red Head Steering Gear Rebuild -- What Else Should I Do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
What else should ideally be done at the same time? So far as I can tell, nothing's been touched in 28 years and I'd like to refresh the whole steering system. 95 LC.

Red Head rebuild
+port for future hydraulic winch install
Change all hoses
Add PS cooler
Clean (or replace?) pump and reservoir
At what tire size does a 105 sector shaft/arm actually make a diff?

Anything else, or parts I might not know I need to make all that work?

Oh, also--to drive straight, the steering wheel must be at about 10-11 o'clock. Been that way since I got it. What's up with that?

did you mean port for hydro assist steering?
I am running 37s for over 5 yrs now and on stock shaft and box. I do have an aftermarket cooler and lines.
Never feel the need for hydro on all the trails I have done, but I have a feeling I will need to get this done after Sierra trek in Aug.

Also my steering is @ 10-11 o'clock every time I am done with wheeling. Pretty normal and I just remove the non air bag wheel and rotate it to center, works every time.

I would go 105 shaft/arm regardless. you're already in there.
Yeah; question is whether that considerable expense is best allocated elsewhere as there's a lot to be done. Don't see going above 33-35s, so I'm on the fence there...

did you mean port for hydro assist steering?
If that's the same as hydroboost--can't do it with ABS, which is 95 and up. I've (obviously?) never eyeballed the plumbing for a hydraulic winch, was guessing it might also be ported off the gear?

Last edited:
Yeah; question is whether that considerable expense is best allocated elsewhere as there's a lot to be done. Don't see going above 33-35s, so I'm on the fence there...

If that's the same as hydroboost--can't do it with ABS, which in 95 and up. I've (obviously?) never eyeballed the plumbing for a hydraulic winch, was guessing it might also be ported off the gear?

You can recenter the steering wheel pretty easily. Most alignment shops will do it as part of the alignment or you can do it yourself.

I would only consider a 105 upgrade and steering box rebuild if you are going to be running some tough trails something rated 8,9 or 10 and with 33s (if thats what you end up running) that is unlikely.

I've never heard of a hydraulic winch ported off the power steering, I think most guys run off the PTO on a transmission. Most ported steering boxes are for hydro assist which basically connect to a steering ram mounted on the tierod which provides some additional hydraulic "assistance" when steering. I have one for my Jeep but it's on 40s, I probably wouldnt seriously consider one unless I was on 37"+ tires and doing some heavy crawling in which point I would also do the 105 sector shaft.

Centering the steering wheel is done by rotating the drag link. Its the rod from the steering pitman arm to the knuckle, located in front of the front axle. Simply loosen the end clamps, rotate the rod fore or aft until the steering wheel is centered, then retighten clamps. Easy peasy, 2 minute job if the rod ends are not siezed up.

Maybe not warranted for your plans, but an option to consider while you're in there is the frame reinforcement around the steering box and panhard bracket. At minimum I'd want to have the area cleaned up and inspected for any signs of cracking that may have started.

+1 - 105 shaft not necessary unless you're an outright hoodlum on 35s with no concept of mechanical sympathy.
Rotate draglink forward to turn steering wheel right, rearward for left. (or vice verse)
Can't speak to the hydro-stuffs.
But a hydraulic winch?
Keep us updated on that journey. That'll tend to fall on the overly complex side of things, imo.
You'll need a pump at least, presumably belt-driven.

I'd get an OEM box that has the updated 105 stuff already on it and be done

What does Redhead actually do in a "rebuild". From what I've seen it's more of just a seal, didn't think you could do anything else to these from an aftermarket standpoint.

I'd get an OEM box that has the updated 105 stuff already on it and be done

What does Redhead actually do in a "rebuild". From what I've seen it's more of just a seal, didn't think you could do anything else to these from an aftermarket standpoint.
The OEM box with 105 is MSRP for $5000, you can get it usually at wholesale for $3000 which is more than most are willing to be bothered with.

I think that’s all they do. You are basically paying for the labor of them swapping the shafts and installing the new gaskets to reseal it.

I’m not sure why we don’t see more DIY of this.

Last edited:
I think that’s all they do. You are basically paying for the labor of them swapping the shafts and installing the new gaskets to reseal it.

This. Redhead quoted me $500+ shipping last time I checked. Decided to do it myself. It’s an easy DIY, lots of threads on here, I got my kit for $140 shipped from @cruiseroutfit . Mine has held up great.

The OEM box with 105 is MSRP for $5000, you can get it usually at wholesale for $3000 which is more than most are willing to be bothered with.

$2550 including pitman arm, and shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom