Bandicoot the BJ70 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slow progress since picking up the seats; been a bit of an head space roller coaster over the Summer break (back to work on Thursday) so not as much done as I'd have liked.

Firstly, whoever designed around the water pump is evil. There is no easy way to remove and replace it that I can find! I pulled the old one off, and then spent a good 30mins trying to refit it (so I could do the new one in one go, with the new gasket) and gave up. Think there is one hardline that needs to be snigged out the way a bit.

Otherwise, I started to attack the rear main seal replacement. I took the approach of removing the housing, so that also meant removing the sump. This turned out to be a mixed bag.

1) The bottom end looks nice and clean, no muck/sludge in the sump or on the pickup.
IMG_20240102_134221922.jpg
IMG_20240102_134215791.jpg

A little bit of black RTV on the pickup, but that's not a surprise given how much was used to seal the sump...

Which leads to 2)
The sump

It's had a good hit at somepoint that has damaged it leading to some welding. So, now the decision is which sump to use - the welded up one from the 13B-T or the dented (but unwelded) one from the 3B.

No photos because I'm rubbish (and my hands were too oily to use my phone).

Feels good though to have made some progress, and it stopped me drifting into the head space that had derailed the previous 10 days.

Following along 😉

So, the sump options:

Option 1: the one from the 3B. Rusty exterior, dented. Not welded. Full of sludge
IMG_20240103_190537308.jpg
IMG_20240103_190532527.jpg

Option 2: the one from the 13B-T. Not rusty, not sludgy but well welded up (currently shielding the underneath of the engine for me)
IMG_20240103_190554459.jpg
IMG_20240103_190551820.jpg

My preference is the 3B one, and leave as is dent wise, just clean it all up and paint it up.

Most of the dent should pop out, paint,clean and use ;)

Yeah, that's not a cheap option!

Interesting that it has a baffle at the rear of the sump though - neither of mine do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom