Bandicoot the BJ70 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right.... so to replace a 3B with a 13B-T in a BJ70 it looks like I need to find a solution for:
  1. The pre-heating screen on the 13B-T that replaces the glow plug system of the 3B
    1. I also need to sort out the in-engine bay relays for the above
  2. Engine shut off: No EDIC on the 13B-T, instead it's the vacuum switch, so I'll need to work out how to wire that up. Hoping that all of that is still on the engine, and if so, that does make it much easier.
  3. Smaller flywheel of the 3B vs the 13B-T flywheel - I'm buying an engine with an auto box, but don't need the auto box...
I may be able to get the pre-heating controller and relays off the seller of the engine, but it depends on what engine he swapped in and if he kept those bits.

The VSV may be fiddly, but I don't think it's the end of the world, I should be able to come up with a solution on that.

Anyone with any wise words? @FJBen? or any one else?

1. The 13B glow screen won't be needed in NSW temperatures, but if it's 12V you can run it from the glow circuit (if it's the timer type). If the 3B engine had superglow (look for a resistor in the intake manifold) then you might just bypass it with a 'Wilson switch'.

2. Don't know

3. With a 6 bolt 13B-T crank you are limited indeed to finding a 13B-T flywheel, that could be tricky.

I am doing a 3B to 14B-T conversion and found extra things to think of were routing of the accelerator cable and turbo water hoses.

EO

Hi EO,

Thanks for the reply:
1. The 13B glow screen won't be needed in NSW temperatures, but if it's 12V you can run it from the glow circuit (if it's the timer type). If the 3B engine had superglow (look for a resistor in the intake manifold) then you might just bypass it with a 'Wilson switch'.
Up on the Northern Tablelands we do drop to -8 *C in the winter (about the lowest we've seen - cold enough that the tank water pump froze!). BUT talking to a mate who has run a 12HT in his HJ47 for the last 25/30 years, he's not had the glow system hooked up on that, so I think you're right.
2. Don't know
I've found the pins in the EDIC controller that I think I need to pull power from for the VSV, so that should be OK. Worst case is that it goes onto a ignition feed circuit, and that should/could work.
3. With a 6 bolt 13B-T crank you are limited indeed to finding a 13B-T flywheel, that could be tricky.
I think I'll just run a heavy duty clutch; the crank is actually the same part number (13401-58020) for both the 3B and 13B-T.

I'm itching to get The 3B out, and then get onto the next bits - I pulled the old exhaust off last weekend and laid it out next to the new one, and it looks like it should all go together reasonably well with minimal adjustment.
IMG_20230909_165320318.jpg

Everything even unbolted without needing the grinder, so that was a good win.

Just need to source an engine crane, and then I can get the 3B out. I seem to be collecting other bits out quite well; I'm heading off to find a new bullbar tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Priorities?

That new front bar did fit, but still not got the 3B out of the way yet...
IMG_20230916_153926216.jpg

For AU$250 and only 70kms away, I'm happy with that. Still need to sort out some indicators for it (the hoops obscure the main ones) but it fits up nicely.

I've also been told that this going to be the wife's daily when it's finished and she sells her Holden VE Commodore Ute with a L76 6.0 V8 in it (hiding in one of the earlier photos)... This then led to interesting discussions on what was going to change and what was going to stay stock:
1) Door cards will probably be upgraded to an ABS type, keeping it simple and robust. This can be done for both the front doors and the rear doors. Either from this mob: Australian Door Cards - https://australiandoorcards.com.au/ or 4WD, Camping and Touring Accessories. - https://www.svnty6.com.au/ (who only do rear doors - but do have the option of a table/bench space.
2) Seats: I need to go and see the local guy who did the seats in the Daihatsu; he did a fantastic job on those. They'll stay as vinyl seats, and we'll just run some Black Duck covers on them.
3) Wheels are going to be painted black, rather than chrome, but otherwise will stay with skinny tyres on them.

I've not got as far as working out other important things, like radios and things if it's going to be a daily, but it's likely to be a Pioneer like the one I have in the 80.

I know, let's start to pull the engine on the hottest day of Spring so far... after spending 2hrs doing town things this morning...

Improvised shade set up with a holey old tarp, with just enough room to get the engine crane under:
IMG_20230930_130759391.jpg

High tech work benches of old cable drums...

Much better access with the front unbolted:
IMG_20230930_130750938.jpg

Been working on the bell housing bolts, and have the bottom 14mm headed ones undone, the top 3 17mm ones and I think that leaves me the 19mm by the starter and any others hiding over that way.

Paused for a spell for an hour or so as it's warming up quite well today.

If you have a tacho pickup in the bellhousing, you might want to consider removing it (definitely if you are removing the transmission) as it's quite exposed and they are very expensive to buy new - if you can even find one.

If you have a tacho pickup in the bellhousing, you might want to consider removing it (definitely if you are removing the transmission) as it's quite exposed and they are very expensive to buy new - if you can even find one.
It doesn't look like it - so no idea where the pickup is for the tacho....

On the BJs the sensor - if there is a tacho - is in the right hand front mating flange of the clutch housing, where it bolts to the back of the engine. 24 mm spanner size. If the vehicle didn't have a tacho or the transmission came from a petrol or a 1HZ then it won't have one.

On the BJs the sensor - if there is a tacho - is in the right hand front mating flange of the clutch housing, where it bolts to the back of the engine. 24 mm spanner size. If the vehicle didn't have a tacho or the transmission came from a petrol or a 1HZ then it won't have one.
Thank you. off to find that and count how many bolts I've pulled out now - think it has only the starter motor left to go now, and then the engine mounts.

Right, supervisor got some photos as well, but we got it all out without any problems that made me go "Doh!!".

Even at 6'3, I didn't have quite enough wingspan to get into some of the bell housing bolts...
received_623859919959180.jpeg

But we got there, and then a bit of pushing (easier and more stable to push the 70 than the engine crane)
IMG_20230930_171700027.jpg

Engine mounts kinda snagged on the way out, so a bit of a twist and a wiggle and we were good:
IMG_20230930_171708345.jpg

When it comes to fitting the new engine, I'll work out the weight as I'd run out of lift at the 750kg mark.
IMG_20230930_171712712.jpg

So, everything came out, and tomorrow cleaning the yard up starts... Had to pull the sump off so I could clear the front clip, popped it back on so I could sit it down
received_1527726821099200.jpeg

And down on the ground and empty engine bay. Got some cleaning to do in there before the 13BT goes in...

Dogs only tried to help a little bit - She stayed out the way mostly, but the lad kept trying to see what I was doing
IMG_20230930_175600732.jpg

And out ...
IMG_20230930_175613544.jpg

Empty engine bay and bell housing to clean up:
IMG_20230930_175620192.jpg

Tomorrow's job is to pull the old clutch off, unload the auto box and work out how heavy a dressed 13BT is (quick trip to the weighbridge with the trailer)

And down on the ground and empty engine bay. Got some cleaning to do in there before the 13BT goes in...

Dogs only tried to help a little bit - She stayed out the way mostly, but the lad kept trying to see what I was doing
View attachment 3443609

And out ...
View attachment 3443610

Empty engine bay and bell housing to clean up:
View attachment 3443611

Tomorrow's job is to pull the old clutch off, unload the auto box and work out how heavy a dressed 13BT is (quick trip to the weighbridge with the trailer)
Nice work! I think a 13B-T with starter etc will be around 250 - 380 kg.

Sorry, typo - I meant to say 250-280 kg

Last edited:
Dropped the flywheel off yesterday lunchtime for a skim, and get another quote on a clutch kit.

Flywheel was done by 4pm, so I'll pick that up today.

Also stopped to see the upholstery guy I use, and he can fit me in with getting the seats done by November (no definition of when in November, but November). Not a cheap option, but he does good work, and easier than trying to find "new" seats.

More (small) progress; I got the engine unloaded from the trailer and set up on the engine stand (hoist is there to back it up).

IMG_20231007_153554182.jpg
IMG_20231007_153538096.jpg
IMG_20231007_153528305.jpg
IMG_20231007_153518773.jpg
IMG_20231007_153514032.jpg

Water pump wasn't in (waiting for a few more parts to go in the order so I don't get stung with the freight charge), nor was the clutch, so cleaning it up tomorrow is the plan.

Oh Mr Toyota why did you make it so fund for sorting out the fresh air intake...
IMG_20231029_165913994.jpg
IMG_20231029_165910097.jpg
IMG_20231029_165849194.jpg

I suspect the creator of this mess is no more...
IMG_20231029_155327085.jpg

Definitely a clean with gloves on day, know too many people who have been knocked about by leptospirosis/Weil's disease not.
IMG_20231029_155356354.jpg

So it's looking like the whole dash is coming out for a proper clean; this also means I can tidy up the wiring that's going on in there as well (not sure what the 2 red lights are for, and there's just wires hacked around everywhere)

Seats are on their way, and new door cards have been made up:
IMG_20231024_091345682.jpg
IMG_20231024_091323324.jpg
IMG_20231023_133042490.jpg

I've got the frames to tidy up at home, and I also need to chase some dashboard parts up from a guy in the next town, or a mate's bits ute out in the bush.

Great writeup!
You have helped inspire me to look into a big boy diesel conversion.
Is there any chance there was an Auto trans on your 13bt?
Seats look amazing too. Do you have the suspension seats? They operate so much better with some TLC (dri lube etc)

Great writeup!
You have helped inspire me to look into a big boy diesel conversion.
Is there any chance there was an Auto trans on your 13bt?
Seats look amazing too. Do you have the suspension seats? They operate so much better with some TLC (dri lube etc)
I do have any auto transmission that is spare, including shift lever, torque converter, and all links.

No suspension seat, just the stock basic same as sitting on a rock ones.

Busy November is nearly finished; the big one was the Antique Machinery Club that I belong to had their annual event on the 11th... I think we've now recovered from it enough to move forward!

Combined with work and home, it all got a bit frenetic. Work has slowed enough that I could stop properly at lunch to get some vehicle admin done... such as going to see the upholstery guy to see when he'd like some money for the fantastic job he's done:
IMG_20231124_124755996.jpg

He's now waiting on me to sort out the bases and the metal backs... I may just cheat and get him to do the bases...

Combined with the other 3B to 13B thread, this has given me the hurry up I needed... now to get back into pulling the interior apart to work out what I need and to clean out the muck in the cabin air intake.

So, I've got the seats back from the upholstery guy (see also the "What did you do on your 70 series today" thread)

IMG_20231215_091243877.jpg
IMG_20231215_091246701.jpg
IMG_20231215_180859468.jpg
IMG_20231216_075413475.jpg
IMG_20231216_075420030.jpg

Door cards are built onto aluminium so they don't mind getting wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom