Back shock bottom eye-bolt to post bolt spot… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I’m replacing my shocks and the fronts are easy obviously, and I came to the back 2 and found this. Curious how it’s supposed to be or how people generally have it.

I have a bolt that goes through and is super hard to get to. Tried to just unscrew the outside bolt but it just turned so after I got a wrench around the inside bolt it loosened. Anyways it doesn’t look incredibly optimized. Just curious how others would do it

IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4087.jpeg

IMG_4085.jpeg

IMG_4084.jpeg

Your looking for a shock mount stud or bolt, or lower shock mount bolt or stud.

It's a factory location for early 40s. I know my 72 was located there. I moved my lower shock mount to that location on my 75 40 also. I didn't want my shock exposed to trail rash.

There is a stud sticking out of that spot in my '74, didn't appear removable, seemed to be welded or cast into the spring mount on the axle. Castle nut unscrewed from mine easily enough, shock came off, back on and the castle nut went back without the "bolt / stud" part creating any challenges... Nothing about it looked like it would move independent of the axle housing while I was working on it. (flipping shocks right side up...)

I know newer models have the stud for the shock mount on the U bolt plate, under the spring. Possibly more vulnerable to rocks but I assume gives longer travel?

There is a stud stickingt out of that spot in my '74, didn't appear removable, seemed to be welded or cast into the spring mount on the axle. Castle nut unscrewed from mine easily enough, shock came off, back on and the castle nut went back without the "bolt / stud" part creating any challenges... Nothing about it looked like it would move independent of the axle housing while I was working on it. (flipping shocks right side up...)

I know newer models have the stud for the shock mount on the U bolt plate, under the spring. Possibly more vulnerable to rocks but I assume gives longer travel?

The stk shock studs can be removed. There's a nut inside the back of the perch like @Kschep found.

Interesting, I have similar u bolt skid plates but the shock mount is on the side of mine. Perhaps you have an older design or maybe someone put front skids on the rear?

IMG_20230829_134819_110.jpg

I see the stud still attached to the shock. I remove the shock before I even attempted trying to install on the axle. Would be sure the nut spins all the way before starting. Get a couple of nuts with the correct thread. Tight those against each other. Use a visegrip on the outer nut the remove the one that you couldn't off. Would suggest removing the upper side door hinge on the tub side for practice. After that holding the nut inside the axle and spinning stud will be easy. Didn't notice a lock washer. Guessing there is one and possibly a flat washer. Check inside the axle to see what's there.

Would suggest removing the upper side door hinge on the tub side for practice. After that holding the nut inside the axle and spinning stud will be easy.

Awesome thanks for that - when you say upper side door hinge on the tub side - can you give me a little more direction on that…

And yes there were lock washers and reg washers all up in there…so I’m off to get new hardware with my list.

Interesting, I have similar u bolt skid plates but the shock mount is on the side of mine. Perhaps you have an older design or maybe someone put front skids on the rear?

View attachment 3414494

Very interesting - ya I don’t have a bolt attachment on mine to be able to do what you did … And I see the hole in the plate for where mine is attached now, so yours was moved there. I wonder if that’s a better location that mine. I bet so because of the exhaust pipe being so close to where mine is now. I feel like I need to cut off the rubber off the shocks where mine is. On my old I see some melting on one side - extremely minor but still.

If you're running boots on your shocks you should remove them, dirt can collect inside and on top the shock and destroy the shocks seal. From your pics it looks like your shock bushings are shot. Do the shocks still have resistance? If not you should replace them. From the pics it looks like your shocks are really old. here's a pic of the early style mounting location. This is on 75 40. I moved them to this location so they wont get hit by trail obstacles.

IMG00062-20110501-1150.jpg

ya my bad i didnt properly let everyone know: im replacng those shot ass rancho's in the pictures with nice 5125 bilsteins....

lol you noticed there was zero rubber!? yah me too haha

Awesome thanks for that - when you say upper side door hinge on the tub side - can you give me a little more direction on that…

And yes there were lock washers and reg washers all up in there…so I’m off to get new hardware with my list.

Not something you need to do for this project. If your have ever removed the tub side of the door hinges just about everything seems easy. Getting a wrench on to loosen them is bad enough. Getting the bolt started back in I have always needed to do it with two fingers neither of which is a thumb. Index finger and middle finger is what I use. Do not recommend removing them is you don't have too.

Got them on … took off boots … correct me if I’m wrong, I thought the boot was for the exact reason pb4ugo explained to take them off (to keep stuff away from mechanism)…but I see the reverse thought process of stuff getting stuck inside. Never the less I took them off my backs bec of exhaust being somewhat close.

IMG_4111.jpeg

IMG_4113.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom