"B" Diesel Engine Series Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

Question for all you TLC diesel experts out there:

What are the horsepower and torque ratings for the following engine combos:

"B"
"3B"
"3B with aftermarket turbocharger"
"13B-T"

Thanks for the info!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Question for all you TLC diesel experts out there:

What are the horsepower and torque ratings for the following engine combos:

"B"
"3B"
"3B with aftermarket turbocharger"
"13B-T"

Thanks for the info!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

http://www.bitwalla.com/cruisers/information/engines.html#b

Engines
All B series engines are 4 cylinder, 4 cycle diesel engines. Most were manufactured by Hino Industries, a sub-contractor of Toyota. Some were manufactured by Daihatsu, identified by the letter "D" on the timing cover. Apparently Hino engines similar to the B and 3B are used to run the refrigeration units on some tractor-trailers.
Most diesels in Japan and Canada are 24V (and therefore meet NATO military specs), with the exception of Canadian BJ60s and 1985 BJ70s which are 12V. In Europe, all diesels before 1984 are 24V, and most B series after 1984 are 24V as well. Australian diesels are 12V.

If you have any information - or corrections - that belong on this page, please drop us a line.

B 2B 3B 11B 13B 13B-T 14B 15B-FT

B
Available in Japan from 1974 to 1980 (model years) in the BJ40 and BJ43, the B engine was available in Canada from 1978 to 1980 in the BJ40.

displacement: 2977 cc
injection: indirect
horsepower: 80 at 3600 rpm
torque: 141 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm
valves: 8 ohv
bore: 95 mm
stroke: 105 mm
compression ratio: 21:1
compression pressure:
normal: 30.0 kg/cm2 (427 psi) or more
minimum: 20.0 kg/cm2 (284 psi)
difference: 2.0 kg/cm2 (28 psi) or less

2B
Available only in Japan from 1980 to 1982 (model years) in the BJ41 and BJ55.

displacement: 3168 cc
horsepower: 93 at 3600 rpm
torque: 159 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm
compression ratio: 21:1

3B
The most widely used engine from this series. It apparently came in at least three versions with slightly different stats. One difference is that until 1986, it came with an inline injection pump, and then after 1986 it had a rotary injection pump. In Japan the 3B was used from 1981 to 1990, but Canada stopped importing vehicles with this engine in 1987. The 3B is found in the BJ42, BJ43, BJ45, BJ60, BJ70, BJ73, and BJ75. This engine is a favourite to turbo because like most turbo engines, it has oil nozzles that spray the bottoms of the pistons.

displacement: 3431 cc
horsepower: 90, 93 or 98 at 3500 rpm
torque: 159, 163, or 167 ft-lbs at 2200 rpm
bore: 102 mm
compression ratio: 20:1
compression pressure:

11B
Available from 1985 on? Used in Land Cruisers?

displacement: 2977 cc

13B
Available from 1984 on? Used in Land Cruisers?

13B-T
Produced from 1984 to 1990, this is the turbo cousin of the 3B. It was available in the BJ71 and BJ74.

injection: turbo direct
horsepower: 120 at 3400 rpm
torque: 210 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm
compression ratio: 17.6:1
compression pressure:

14B
Since 1996 this engine has been used in the Brazilian-made Bandierante models BJ50 and BJ56.

displacement: 3661 cc
injection: direct
horsepower: 96 at 3400 rpm
torque: 177 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm
stroke: 112 mm
compression ratio: 18:1

15B-FT
Since 1995 this engine has powered the mighty MegaCruiser.

displacement: 4104 cc
injection: turbo direct
horsepower: 155 at 3200 rpm
torque: 288 ft-lbs at 1800 rpm
valves: 16 ohv

Did you see under the 3B history that he says "...3 versions..."?

I have the 3B exhaust manifold, but my oil filter faces up and I have the rotary pump. Perhaps mine is that bastard 3rd version?

Island Moose said:
Did you see under the 3B history that he says "...3 versions..."?

I have the 3B exhaust manifold, but my oil filter faces up and I have the rotary pump. Perhaps mine is that bastard 3rd version?

Na, that info has a distinct Cdn flair...

1981 - 3B=3 bearing cam, oil filter points down, inline pump (retail market)
1985 - 3B=5 bearing cam, oil filter points up, inline pump (retail market)
1988 - 3B=5 bearing cam, oil filter points up, rotory pump (mines only)

There were even more subtle changes for various years. The 1981 3B has two holes tapped in the block for the alternator bracket. I believe it was 1983 there are three, which is a much better design.

Anyway, when you hear three versions, it is simply the bigger changes being talked about...at least that's the way I understand it. More info is always good!

JDM 3B's seem to have been rotory pump from a much earlier period.

gb

mine has the rotary pump, I think cause its an 86, the guy I bought it from was telling me it makes a bit more power, he also owned a 85 that was mint, and said that the 86 was a bit quicker.

Does it day rotary pump on it?

the rotory pump has a few things that are good about them, they are quieter, produces more power and is better on fuel...
rumor has it they don't last as long but then i have not owned one long enough to tell.
an inline pump is good for about 400,000 before it should be rebuilt...
i have not seen a rotory pump engine with over a couple hundred thou so i can not say for sure...

I have a friend with 13B-T engine in a 40 series with rotari pump, awsome .. ! no smok, no temp issues, plenty of power with good km on them without any problems ..

eric-punta-mama.JPG

Hi All:

Thanks for the replies with the engine spec info - much appreciated!

"Tapage" - thanks for posting the cool photo! Are Land Cruisers common 4X4s in Panama?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Tapage said:
I have a friend with 13B-T engine in a 40 series with rotari pump, awsome .. ! no smok, no temp issues, plenty of power with good km on them without any problems ..

eric-punta-mama.JPG
a 13BT with a rotory pump?!?!

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Thanks for the replies with the engine spec info - much appreciated!

"Tapage" - thanks for posting the cool photo! Are Land Cruisers common 4X4s in Panama?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Hi Josie .. yes, TLc are very common overhere .. tha bad think is, is very easy buy a new car, and 40 , 60 series, are considered olds cars, for this reazon is hard find one in good shape.

But anycase you can buy a 60 series in 4000 USD in regular shape.

well mine is 260 000km, little to no smoke, nice power.

It would be interesting to drive one without it, to see the difference

whats involved in a rebuild of the pump?

What is regular shape? I always like to see all the bills people have on there trucks, even if they self install the reciept for the part is very nice. the guy I bought my truck off had 12, 000 cdn worth of reciepts from tires, to a complete tune up with tons of little expensive things in between. Not much absolutly needed it, but he was going to keep this cruiser forever at least he thought. Most of the money was spent at toyota, and it didn't seem like they did alot for what they charged, man dealerships are a rip off.

crushers said:
a 13BT with a rotory pump?!?!

Yes, I wondered the same thing. Never heard of it. Wonder if he means a 3BII with Turbo...?

gb

Greg_B said:
Yes, I wondered the same thing. Never heard of it. Wonder if he means a 3BII with Turbo...?

gb

yes it have a rotary pump .. I try to get some pics.

Regular shape is, more than 300,000 km, some litlle rust, and all complete stock. Obviusly, with regualr maintenace, but not with OEM parts, maybe taiwan or whatever that people can find here ..

so i did a search on the EPC for europe and NZ, AUSSI and Japan and according to this all the 13Ts came with inline pumps.
maybe he swapped it on or who knows this could be one for the record books. Bruce has taught me not to state what we know as fact since we Canadians have been proven wrong before...
i would love a pic of that engine bay, pump side...
cheers

crushers said:
so i did a search on the EPC for europe and NZ, AUSSI and Japan and according to this all the 13Ts came with inline pumps.
maybe he swapped it on or who knows this could be one for the record books. Bruce has taught me not to state what we know as fact since we Canadians have been proven wrong before...
i would love a pic of that engine bay, pump side...
cheers

ooooohhh .. ! sorry .. ! this BJ-40 is not a factory 13B-T is a factory 3B and the owner bought a Trubo kit from Turbo Glide .. :D

darn, too bad. i was hoping for another Toyota oddity
thanks for the clarification...
cheers

crushers said:
darn, too bad. i was hoping for another Toyota oddity
thanks for the clarification...
cheers

hahahaha I already have a long list of this odditys !

Did you know that in 1985 to 1992 in Venezuela some TLC 60 and 62 series comes with a Dana 60 rear diff from a local DANAVen factory .. ? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom