Awesome new MPPT controller with bluetooth control for $99 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All. Received one of these units as a Christmas present from the wife, any good links on setting up a system based on it? thanks!

Hi All. Received one of these units as a Christmas present from the wife, any good links on setting up a system based on it? thanks!

Simplest setup is connect the controller's battery +/- to the battery's +/- and connect the controller's +/- to the solar panel's +/- (at least a '12V panel').

Preferably have the controller with shorter wires to the battery and the longer wires to the panel.

Maybe if you describe your use case with more details then a more applicable hookup scheme can be proposed to you :)

i.e. specs of panel, where you want to mount the panel or is it portable, use with a fridge, hard mounted controller or portable, main battery or do you have an aux battery, etc etc etc....

cheers,
george.

Simplest setup is connect the controller's battery +/- to the battery's +/- and connect the controller's +/- to the solar panel's +/- (at least a '12V panel').

Preferably have the controller with shorter wires to the battery and the longer wires to the panel.

Maybe if you describe your use case with more details then a more applicable hookup scheme can be proposed to you :)

i.e. specs of panel, where you want to mount the panel or is it portable, use with a fridge, hard mounted controller or portable, main battery or do you have an aux battery, etc etc etc....

cheers,
george.
Hi George,

Thanks for the quick response. I can certainly fill in some gaps on that stuff.

Setup is currently:
-2 batteries, one turns on once the alternator is charging (wire from the charge circuit fuse under hood) via a Ford type solenoid
-Panel specs measured in full sunlight are: 18.8v, 639ma
-Panel is not mounted, but will eventually be mounted on roof (need to make my roof rack first though...)
-Desire of system is to basically keep BOTH batteries (they are nice Odyssey batteries so I'd like to maintain life as much as possible) topped up and in good condition, at some point I will add accessories to the "house" battery, but no fridges or anything like that. Just gradually switch any non-factory stuff over to that battery (stereo, will add a nice inverter at some point, going to add a 2-way radio system, all extra lights will go off second battery, etc)
-Will most likely mount this controller under dash somewhere based on previous comments in this thread

Can't really think of anything else at this point.

Panel is 0.64A ??? That means it's barely a 10W panel... Or do you mean 6.4A ?

MPPT would be pretty worthless with only a 10W panel... I'm hoping you have a 100W panel or most of this discussion is pointless.

If you are mostly drawing from the aux battery, then connect it to the charge controller since the alternator will take care of the main battery and also top the aux when engine is running etc.

Yeah, I'd mount the controller up in the passenger foot area.

Don't bother using the 'load' output of the MPPT controller, I'd think that would only be useful for something like a fridge (to monitor energy usage while camping/travelling etc).

cheers,
george.

Panel is 0.64A ??? That means it's barely a 10W panel... Or do you mean 6.4A ?

MPPT would be pretty worthless with only a 10W panel... I'm hoping you have a 100W panel or most of this discussion is pointless.

If you are mostly drawing from the aux battery, then connect it to the charge controller since the alternator will take care of the main battery and also top the aux when engine is running etc.

Yeah, I'd mount the controller up in the passenger foot area.

Don't bother using the 'load' output of the MPPT controller, I'd think that would only be useful for something like a fridge (to monitor energy usage while camping/travelling etc).

cheers,
george.
Ya, it's pretty tiny. Didn't even register the "m"a actually. I'll have to upgrade to a larger panel when I get around to installing the system. Need to design my roof rack first though.

Also need to test that panel myself. That's just what's handwritten on a piece of tape on the side. It is small though, see below.

IMG_1983.JPG

It was cool to see aux voltage higher than main without the engine running, I tell you what.
IMG_1980.JPG

Yeah, baby panel. The MPPT is an overkill for such a small output panel. You really should be looking into something in the 100W range - quite cheap these days if you steer away from rip-off name brands.

A modern 100W panel will be somewhere near 30" x 20".

That baby panel is only useful to top up the batteries due to self discharge or small ECU/Radio/etc standby loads.

cheers,
george.

Yeah, baby panel. The MPPT is an overkill for such a small output panel. You really should be looking into something in the 100W range - quite cheap these days if you steer away from rip-off name brands.

A modern 100W panel will be somewhere near 30" x 20".

That baby panel is only useful to top up the batteries due to self discharge or small ECU/Radio/etc standby loads.

cheers,
george.
Good to know, thanks. 20x30 should work fine with my planned rack. will likely get that before making the rack to make sure it fits well.

I completed my portable solar project about a week ago. I used the Smart Solar 75/15, Humless 130 watt suitcase and used the idea of a portable mounting box and Anderson power poles from this thread. Thank you. I used 10 gauge wire and the total wire length to the panel is about 30'.

After I connected the controller and solar panel, information started flowing to my iPhone. I noticed some power fluctuations I'd like to get opinions about. My Odyssey dual batteries were fully charged and separated by an IBS system. The controller is connected to the aux battery per IBS instructions.

Well, the controller worked as advertised......bulk charge was around 14.7, absorption was 14.7 and the batteries floated at 13.8. When it got to the float stage I turned my late model ARB 50 fridge on and watched what happened. The charger bounced around between bulk and absorption while the fridge was cooling down and eventually made its way back to float stage once the fridge's compressor shut off and the desired fridge temperature was reached.

My uneducated questions are -
  1. Is the cycling of the fridge, maintaining its temperature, going to physically effect (ruin) the batteries in the long run because the charging cycle/stages are constantly being interrupted? I was seeing voltage jump from 14.7 to 13.2 and all over the place when the compressor was on. I assume this observation is normal and this is how it is.
  2. Is this what you guys experience when your fridge's compressor kicks on?

Thanks, Bart

EF25D2CB-53F1-4744-938E-1C030AE0CAEB.jpeg

2F182FA7-0596-4DCE-8027-9C46EBD10384.jpeg

36D8F9F5-BE18-418E-A31B-02EFEA71C2F7.jpeg

7A2B59BE-A0E3-4C24-8899-E00C6DF0A1E8.jpeg

A5EF60F5-5F2F-4D08-813F-94B7B4AFC2DB.png

When your fridge runs, it will transiently drop system voltage, which will cause the controller to turn the panels back on to supply the load. The battery voltage may fluctuate a bit but they won't discharge at all unless the demand for power is greater than the panel supply. At night the batteries will supply all the loads, and in the day, the panel will charge them back up and supply all the day time loads as able.

That's what batteries are for and won't "ruin" them. All lead acid batteries have a limited life span but because you are actually charging your batteries properly, they will lead a longer than average life.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal.

Last edited:
The MPPT controller should help your battery life.

I wanted to find this thread because I've been researching and realized Victron has recently come out with a solar controller they call SmartSolar as mentioned above. This is a newer version of the 'BlueSolar" MPPT controller. The SmartSolar version contains the Bluetooth built into the controller and eliminates the required Bluetooth dongle to have iPhone connectivity. At $129.00 for the 15amp version on Amazon, its more affordable than buying the 10amp old version and adding the sold-separately Bluetooth dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smar...1516221369&sr=8-1&keywords=victron+smartsolar

The MPPT controller should help your battery life.

I wanted to find this thread because I've been researching and realized Victron has recently come out with a solar controller they call SmartSolar as mentioned above. This is a newer version of the 'BlueSolar" MPPT controller. The SmartSolar version contains the Bluetooth built into the controller and eliminates the required Bluetooth dongle to have iPhone connectivity. At $129.00 for the 15amp version on Amazon, its more affordable than buying the 10amp old version and adding the sold-separately Bluetooth dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Smar...1516221369&sr=8-1&keywords=victron+smartsolar

And it came out about 20 minutes after I bought the old one... :bang::D

@9780LC - Could you share part numbers for the parts in the picture where the wire comes up to the truck? Specifically to plug and, outlet and cover. Those look great!

And it came out about 20 minutes after I bought the old one... :bang::D

Norm, have you installed yours yet? Mine should be here soon (the "smartsolar" one) and I'm thinking of relocating it from the existing location in the back where my PWM controller is now to perhaps the engine bay.

Norm, have you installed yours yet? Mine should be here soon (the "smartsolar" one) and I'm thinking of relocating it from the existing location in the back where my PWM controller is now to perhaps the engine bay.

I haven't. AFAIK the controller is not rated to be out in the elements. I personally wouldn't mount it under the hood, but maybe some here have and can report in?

I haven't. AFAIK the controller is not rated to be out in the elements. I personally wouldn't mount it under the hood, but maybe some here have and can report in?

You are correct, it's IP43. I thought I saw IP65.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom