Aux A/C Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I want to put an aux A/C fan on my Cruiser to make A/C performance better in hot weather. I've read @corsair23's thread about his 14" Pro Comp fan install and I've read @Desert Dino's thread about his Spal fan install, but I don't know what to choose. Pro Comp would be good because of that very thorough installation write up, but it seems harder to install and I can't find the Pro-Comp branded ones on eBay anymore. Just unbranded $30 Chinese ones with the same model number. As for Spal, I like those because they look like the stock JDM fans, but I have no information on performance and absolutely no idea how to wire/install them or even what Spal fan I need. (Want to wire it the way corsair23 did in his write-up) What do you guys think? Any other brands? Installation guides? Things I'm missing from not doing a thorough forum search? Thanks in advance.

OEM JDM fan for vehicles with dual A/C.

88590-60010. Mounts on preexisting tabs on the A/C condenser and the center grille brace.

88590-60010. Mounts on preexisting tabs on the A/C condenser and the center grille brace.
What is dual A/C? Also, $322 from where I usually get parts. How is it wired? Is it the absolute best option for "blowing" performance?

Something to consider when wiring it up is fan duty cycle vs. compressor duty cycle...

My '97 came with dual electric puller fans installed by the PO, and he wired them both to come on whenever the AC compressor comes on. This is great when I'm driving down the road but on the trail where speeds are under 5 MPH, the vent temp fluctuates greatly because the condenser core (and possibly the freon inside it as well) is heat soaking when the fans aren't running. Then the AC compressor kicks on and gets a supply of uncondensed freon while the fans play catch up to un-soak the condenser. I intend on fixing this by wiring the fans to run constantly when the AC is commanded on regardless of what the AC compressor is doing, and this is how I would wire the aux fan you're going to install as well.

This one was an easy install from @LandCruiserPhil
That looks like a very nice option! I like the "It is for the electrically challenged" part. @LandCruiserPhil, if I want to wire it to come on whenever the A/C is turned on, will that be easy?
Something to consider when wiring it up is fan duty cycle vs. compressor duty cycle...

My '97 came with dual electric puller fans installed by the PO, and he wired them both to come on whenever the AC compressor comes on. This is great when I'm driving down the road but on the trail where speeds are under 5 MPH, the vent temp fluctuates greatly because the condenser core (and possibly the freon inside it as well) is heat soaking when the fans aren't running. Then the AC compressor kicks on and gets a supply of uncondensed freon while the fans play catch up to un-soak the condenser. I intend on fixing this by wiring the fans to run constantly when the AC is commanded on regardless of what the AC compressor is doing, and this is how I would wire the aux fan you're going to install as well.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a plan. I don't care to manually turn it on with a separate switch and I don't really want to wire it the other way where it comes on at a certain temp. Having it come on with the push of the A/C button would be great.

Last edited:
if I want to wire it to come on whenever the A/C is turned on, will that be easy?

I've just wired mine to switch. I recall seeing threads about having it switch on with A/C. I'm on the coast so I don't 'need' to use mine more than a few times year - but when I do (desert, mountains, waiting in line at border crossing), the difference is very noticeable.

That looks like a very nice option! I like the "It is for the electrically challenged" part. @LandCruiserPhil, if I want to wire it to come on whenever the A/C is turned on, will that be easy?

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a plan. I don't care to manually turn it on with a separate switch and I don't really want to wire it the other way where it comes on at a certain temp. Having it come on with the push of the A/C button would be great.

Been doing wiring from elevators to trophy trucks for a long time and my approach (even on my own stuff) is keep it simple for reliability over time. Lots of options to control an aux fan but I dont recommend wiring something you dont fully understand. You want to be able to troubleshoot and fully understand what you install. FWIW the aux fan we sell is installed the exact same way on both our 80 and LX470 and I have the ability to make it come on when you $hit and go off when you wipe. With our aux fan you have 2 wiring choices for the DIY guys, power to the fan with the key on or power with the key off.

Last edited:
Considering you (I'm presuming) still have your stock engine driven fan behind the radiator, the only option is a pusher in the front. However, there is a performance difference between a puller and pusher, so do some googling on pusher vs. puller fans to understand the difference.

Also, google how to wire up a 12V DC fan using a relay. It's a pretty simple circuit and there's a lot of really good info out there that will get you thinking beyond your project and may answer some questions you have about how other stuff works. As for how to make the fan come on with the AC, for now, just wire up a switch. You won't hurt anything by forgetting to turn the switch on so it's safe, and it'll get you doing a basic wiring project.

Go buy a factory service manual for your truck, too. It'll have your wiring diagrams and as your skills and knowledge improve and expand, you'll be able to interpret the wiring diagrams and will be able to figure out where you'd need to tap into in order to make the fan run whenever the AC is on without having to flip an additional switch.

I know "just google it" is a cop-out answer, but the internet practically contains the entire collective knowledge of humanity and if it's a question you can think of, the answer is out there. Furthermore, searching is a much more enriching educational experience vs. being spoon fed what you want to know. Case in point: I'm trying to automate my onboard air and knew very little about industrial controls when I started out down this path. It's been a year and I'm getting close to making it work but more importantly, I've discovered and learned so many more things than I would have if I just popped up on some message board and said "I need to do this; show me."

Reactions: RFB

Dan, Does this one come on when the air conditioner comes on and is this the one that plugs into the factory electrical connections?

Dan, Does this one come on when the air conditioner comes on and is this the one that plugs into the factory electrical connections?

Nope $322 only gets you the fan only

20170823_175758-jpg.1523136

Not Dan but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

I dont recommend wiring something you dont fully understand. You want to be able to troubleshoot and fully understand what you install. FWIW the aux fan we sell is installed the exact same way on both our 80 and LX470 and I have the ability to make it come on when you $hit and go of when you wipe. With our aux fan you have 2 wiring choices for the DIY guys, power to the fan with the key on or power with the key off.

Considering you (I'm presuming) still have your stock engine driven fan behind the radiator, the only option is a pusher in the front. However, there is a performance difference between a puller and pusher, so do some googling on pusher vs. puller fans to understand the difference.

Also, google how to wire up a 12V DC fan using a relay. It's a pretty simple circuit and there's a lot of really good info out there that will get you thinking beyond your project and may answer some questions you have about how other stuff works. As for how to make the fan come on with the AC, for now, just wire up a switch. You won't hurt anything by forgetting to turn the switch on so it's safe, and it'll get you doing a basic wiring project.

Go buy a factory service manual for your truck, too. It'll have your wiring diagrams and as your skills and knowledge improve and expand, you'll be able to interpret the wiring diagrams and will be able to figure out where you'd need to tap into in order to make the fan run whenever the AC is on without having to flip an additional switch.

I know "just google it" is a cop-out answer, but the internet practically contains the entire collective knowledge of humanity and if it's a question you can think of, the answer is out there. Furthermore, searching is a much more enriching educational experience vs. being spoon fed what you want to know. Case in point: I'm trying to automate my onboard air and knew very little about industrial controls when I started out down this path. It's been a year and I'm getting close to making it work but more importantly, I've discovered and learned so many more things than I would have if I just popped up on some message board and said "I need to do this; show me."
Okay. Good ideas. I'll most likely get the kit from @LandCruiserPhil because if my life depended on wiring things, I'd be dead. Thank you, @leucadiacruiser, @Mandrake, and @LandCruiserPhil. @cruiserdan gets a participation award :hillbilly:

The good part about putting a switch on it is water crossings. If you ever get into water that’s bumper height, it will save you a ton of headaches, and $$$, by being able to switch the fan off. Just a thought!
You can’t go wrong ordering from LCP though, he seems to REALLY care about things being done simple, but right.

The good part about putting a switch on it is water crossings. If you ever get into water that’s bumper height, it will save you a ton of headaches, and $$$, by being able to switch the fan off. Just a thought!
You can’t go wrong ordering from LCP though, he seems to REALLY care about things being done simple, but right.
the cool thing about dc motors is that you can run them under water... the only thing is that the fan blades put lots of extra stress on it.

the cool thing about dc motors is that you can run them under water...

For about 5 seconds before the blades/hub explode and tear up your radiator and condenser...

What is dual A/C? Also, $322 from where I usually get parts. How is it wired? Is it the absolute best option for "blowing" performance?

Dual A/C is dual air conditioning. Some 80s have a rear air conditioner in addition to the dash unit. This fan is used on those vehicles and in the original application it cycles with the clutch. When adding the fan to a truck not originally fitted with it you have to provide the power source of your choice. I put mine on a manually-switched circuit.

Phil's solution is more cost-effective. Some may prefer the JDM OEM approach however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom