Automatic car wash removed LX door panel

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cbpeck, Mar 13, 2018.

1. cbpeck

cbpeck

Media:
    My dad drove his '96 LX through an automatic car wash and the dryer blew the driver's door panel clean off. The white clips that pop into the metal door skin seem fine, but what's difficult to tell is whether the plastic those clips engage are a second set of clips or if those black plastic rectangles were a molded part of the trip panel that broke relatively cleanly.
    I'm sure some will say it's time to take it all off, but he'd like to put the panel back on for the time being. Do we need new clips or a replacement panel? Thanks, guys.
    IMG_20180313_084816.jpg IMG_20180313_084608.jpg

2. shocktower

shocktower

It looks like you need to replace some of the clips on the lower part of the door, and your dad needs to not drive it through another car wash

3. cbpeck

cbpeck

Media:
    The hiccup is that the black rectangles don't engage the panel where they would've popped off. I think they may have been part of the panel, but not sure. In person it's less intuitive than it looks.

It would be helpful to hear from someone who has removed and reinstalled one of these before.

4. NateMob

NateMob

Media:
    Albums:
    Those black rectangles are supposed to be attached to the cladding, like you said, they ripped clean off!

5. Cass007

Cass007 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The car wash should have insurance to cover your father's repairs. I had my pass side mirror glass busted out by one and they covered it with no problems.

BILT4ME likes this.
  6. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

^^^ This. Some have had luck reattaching with adhesive, likely better off getting another one.

7. cbpeck

cbpeck

Media:
    Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

The car wash has a sign claiming no liability to cars more than 7 years old. I'll pass the info along and let him decide how to proceed.

8. Cass007

Cass007 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Check with their insurance company anyhow. Sign may be put up as a way to discourage people from attempting to file. You can always pay your deductible and use your own coverage and ask your company to subbrogate the loss.

Just because I have a sign in front of my house saying that "Trespassers Will Be Shot" doesn't mean I can't get in trouble if I actually shoot someone. (*)

*Disclaimer ... statement may not be true for Florida, Texas, parts of Maine or Alaska

9. gnarlytoes

gnarlytoes SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm going to suggest that something happened before he went to the car wash that broke some of the clips. That cladding is not that easy to remove and the drier should not have been able to blow it off. Has he owned it since it was new? Has it been repainted or in an accident that required body repair? I would suggest someone took that panel off at sometime in the past and broke some or most of those clips.

10. cbpeck

cbpeck

Media:
    Original paint, no accident history to our knowledge. It certainly doesn't look like it has been molested before, but I can't say for certain.

11. slow95z

slow95z Always parting 80s GOLD Star

Media:
    if you glue it and it doesnt hold just buy another door imo, they are cheap. i just hauled some white LX doors to the scrapper. or i would hook you up. you can find a white LX being parted and get a door for cheap. no painting needed. ask around in the part out section or post a wanted thread.

cbpeck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.