Builds AussieHJCruza's HDJ80 acquisition and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good...welcome to the HDJ80/81 club..!!

Thanks - I'm lovin' it!

So, last weekend the 80 got the 3 inch exhaust fitted - what a difference. Acceleleration feels like so much less effort, no comments on fuel consumption changes yet, and the Swooshh! between gears is epic

On Tuesday I was home from work with the Flu, so I decided to change the timing belt.

New Genuine belt, idler pulley and tensioner spring. Actually not very hard, except for getting that little tensioner spring back on - that is an absoulute PIA!

T Belt 2.jpg

IMG_20151014_175524.jpg
IMG_20151014_181229.jpg

So, I've got a bit behind with this thread - she's grown!
2 inch Lovells Progressive Heavy duty springs and a Tough Dog RTC steering damper. Very happy with both. I do need to do caster correction though because she tracks a little bit, and I've got some stainless braided extended brake lines for Chassis to Axle that need to go on as well.

Also, I'm looking at intercoolers. What do people think of HPD's Front mounts? I don't want to cut holes in the bonnet, so would like to stay away from top mounts unless there is a distinct advantage to the top-mount design?

From my research, HPD or Safari front mounts look to be the best options I've come across.

So, I've been meaning to update this for a while now, but I haven't been able to attach pictures, so I haven't. In the interval...

IMG_20151126_193916.jpg

Cross Country Intercooler

IMG_20151123_185235.jpg

LED/Clear rear lights, from Kingswood Country

Also got clear indicators on the front and VDO EGT and boost gauges, and a HPD catch can, no pics of them though.

I'd LOVE some pics of that HPD catch can if you get a chance! Also interested in where/how you've mounted your gauges.

Sorry for the delay: @IanB : as requested

Without the dirty great top mount, the catch can would be a lot more straightforward, as in, fit straight in. It is certainly a nice product, but I had to experiment a bit with different rotations and hose routings etc to avoid clashing with the turbo-intercooler piping. One of the hoses provided didn't work for me because of this - the rocker cover-catch can fitted, but the catch can to intake was too short, so I just used heater hose, hopefully it should be ok because there will be very little if any oil going through it.

The pillar pod is one of eBay, and fitted reasonably well, but due to VDO gauges being very deep, there was a little fiddling around there too.

And lastly, pics!
IMG_20160105_165954.jpg

IMG_20160105_170001.jpg

IMG_20160105_170020.jpg

IMG_20160105_170030.jpg

IMG_20160105_170044.jpg

Another thing

Today I got quite a shock to see that there was a small puddle of green fluid on the ground about underneath the bottom radiator hose and the coolant reservoir only had about 10mm of coolant in it, so I topped it up to almost full quickly, tested the heater, and it worked, so I figured that she couldn't have lost too much coolant, so I got on my way as I had to get to an appointment.

I got home and let her cool down, and the level of the reservoir had actually increased slightly, I presume due to expansion. I tightened the bottom hose clamps; the hose-radiator clamp I think was a bit loose, so I tightened both up

Then I pulled off the radiator cap when the hoses felt soft, indicating there was no pressure in the system and the coolant level was probably 15-20mm below the neck, so I started the engine, turned on the heater and filled the radiator to the brim, and topped up the reservoir.

I then washed off the coolant I spilled and the front crossmember, steering damper etc to make any new leaks obvious.

I have a couple of questions:

1: How tight do I do up the OEM '2 wire' (for want of a better description) clamps as found on the bottom hose? Should I really crank them up until the tensioning nut feels difficult to turn?

2: Could I have done any damage with this occurrence? No bubbles evident in radiator when medium-warm (1/3 on stock gauge) engine is idling and exhaust smells typical diesel, so I presume the HG is ok? Anything else I should check? My dad said he thought it sounded more "rattly" but I don't know quite what he means by that, sometimes it sounds more rattly to me than other times. The temperature gauge never looked out of the ordinary, either high or low, for the engine running at temperature.

Look forward to people's thoughts?

I think those are the 1st pics I've ever seen of the 1HD-T HPD catch can, it's a real nice piece and it's neat to see how the mounting bracket works. Does the dipstick clear your intercooler? It looks close from your pics.

As for your coolant issues, I had a small puddle under my truck when I came back to the truck while out to grab some things following my coolant flush this summer. I found the lower rad hose clamp wasn't as tight as it needed to be, so I made sure the hose was properly positioned, and cranked it tight, no issues since. You don't need to crank it till it won't go any further, nor should you, but it should be snug.

I doubt you did any damage, hell you didn't even notice other than the puddle under the truck. Make sure you run it with the heat on full to get any air trapped out of the heater core, and keep an eye on the level for a week or so to make sure it stabilizes and you aren't losing any more.

No, sadly the dipstick can't come out, it hits the end tank on the intercooler. It takes about 15 seconds to unscrew the 'cup' on the catch can and have a look inside though, so it's no great loss.

So, long time no update, she now runs a GTurbo Badboy and on the way is an XXi Stage 1 fuel pump, Moonlight Fabrications airbox and a 4" snorkel
IMG_20160329_175739.jpg

Also, I have had a bit of a change of circumstances and will be moving interstate for family reasons (my Dad is not well) and unfortunately, I might not be able to take the 80 with me. So, here's a bit of a feeler - if anyone on here is interested in a very tidy and meticulously maintained HDJ80... I'm interested in what you think it would be worth and I would love for her to go to a MUD member.

Not so.
It's funny, but if I'm not mistaken, we have more "outback" here in the Western U.S. Than the outback does! Yet everythinthing sold here is as if it's not intended to ever leave a parking lot! Nice truck

If you look at a map the contiguous US is about the same size as Australia. Something like 95% of all Australians live within 50km of the coast.
With a population of 25 million in Australia and 325 million in the US there is a lot more outback in Australia.
Just had to defend my brothers across the ditch.

Long dead old thread, I know, but there was some talk earlier about the color of the OP's car. It might be paint code 4M7. Variously known as "Flaxen" or "Oyster". Not sure if it was offered in the US, but I've seen it on 80's elsewhere.

I miss this truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom