Builds AussieHJCruza's HDJ80 acquisition and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AussieHJCruza

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.completecruisers.com.au
Well, it seems like I have bought a HDJ80, after dreaming and looking for many months at many and various trucks, I found this truck in Brisbane that looked about right; I wanted a HDJ80, manual, preferably with the 93 brakes and stuff, which this should have, and I really wanted less than 300,000ks.
Now, for a 18 year old without a massive amount of money, the next problem was finding one that I could realistically pay for. Anyway, this came up on Gumtree, so I decided to investigate further. All the VIN checks came up clear, so it was time to proceed further.
Now, because I work long hours and the nature of what we do (structural Fibreglass) , taking time off to fly to Queensland and have a look was not an option, especially approaching the end of the financial year, so I had to get someone to inspect her for me. A mate who just bought a TD42 GU (Patrol) used a mob called Stateroads to inspect that, and he was very happy with what they did, so I decided to use them as well. I'm glad I did, their inspection was far more thorough than what I could have done myself and the 6 page report and 36 photos that came with it, along with the guy who inspected her calling me to discuss exceeded my expectations.
The report came up pretty good, she needs a few bushings, second gear can be hard to get when cold and there's a 5 cent coin sized rust spot underneath the passenger seat. Other than that, pretty good, so it was time for the next step.
So, the report came up pretty good, so after some discussion, it was decided to buy her, which all went smoothly, and that brings us to this point, she's somewhere between Brisbane and Adelaide and I can't wait.

In the meantime however, a few specs:
1993 HDJ80R GXL
1HD-T + H151 + HF2A, 4.11 open front/LSD rear diffs etc
GXL, so rear hatch and tailgate, power mirrors and windows, cloth trim etc
Farmer's Pack from new, which consists of an Akubra holder, sun visor and Turbo timer
King 2.5 inch springs and EFS shocks
285/75/16s on stock rims
ARB winch bar
Snorkel
UHF
CIBIE Halogen spotlights

Plans:
Baseline and then not much for a few months; I scraped the bottom of the barrel and then some to buy her, so I'll need to let the pocket heal a little bit and repay a family member for a bit of a loan they gave me
Then
a comprehensive set of Gauges, I have a pyro and boost ready to go in
3 inch stainless exhaust
A low profile aluminium roof rack
Black duck seat covers
Moonlight fab airbox
A decent set of shocks, and maybe superflex arms (not sure on them yet, if anyone has any insight that would be excellent)
GTurbo Bad boy or BBx
Cross Country ultimate intercooler
Rear bumper/tyre carrier
Winch
and probably a whole host of other things.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting into an 80, and now, without any further ado, (sorry about my ridiculous ramblings)

PICS!

80 Front.jpeg

image28.jpeg

image29.jpeg

$_29.jpg

image14.jpeg

Last edited:

image31.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image11.jpeg

Today I ordered genuine cooling system hoses, all belts and clamps from Amayama. If anyone wants the part #'s I can post them up.

Finally got SA rego; I initially took it through Regency with the lift springs on but had to take them out because it was apparently too high (sitting 610 centre of hub to bottom of flare front and rear, the wanted less than or equal to 608 rear and 585 front.) and put stock springs in (510ish f/r now) That made them happy, so I paid my money and have got South Australian rego!

I also had today off work, so I decided to give her a service.
Penrite 15w50 for the engine, NULON 75w90 for gearbox and transfer, Gulf Western 80w90 for the front diff and Castrol 90W LSD for the rear diff, and Sakura filters. Hopefully she likes all that!
Went and bought 3 cheap pressure sprayers to use to fill the diffs/tranny/xfer
The 'tuna can' was clearly doing its job - had a couple of centimetres of bees, dust and other miscellaneous junk, and 1 gecko in it, so I washed it out.
Incidentally, I'm selling the King springs if anyone is interested in them, looking for something a bit closer to 50mm actual lift.
Recommendations
IMG_20150716_140122.jpg
IMG_20150716_153022.jpg
IMG_20150716_155127.jpg
IMG_20150716_155916.jpg
IMG_20150716_160327.jpg

Last Friday I towed this 12x6x7 trailer to Wagga Wagga and back, about 1900 km round trip.
IMG_20150724_102253.jpg

She did brilliantly on the way there, but things didn't go so well once we arrived.

Went out for a bit of a drive and accidently ended up in this

IMG_20150725_170025.jpg

IMG_20150725_170410.jpg

IMG_20150725_171015.jpg

Managed to get out after quite a long stint at 4500 rpm, but on the way home from the car wash, I heard what seemed like a big boost leak, and it turned out that the intake gasket on cylinder #2 had blown out. So I got a genuine set of gaskets and got them fitted. Also dropped the diff oils and transfer case oil because they had water in them.

On the way home we struggled with overheating. We dumped our water bottles into the radiator to try and wash out some of the mud which seemed to be clogging it, and then we stopped at a farm where an old legend of a bloke turned on his bore and we hosed out the radiator. From there on we ran at 1/2 (normal) to 3/4 of the temperature gauge all the way home. Then, when we get home I discover the rear main and rear transfer case output seal are leaking. Ouch, this has turned into an expensive trip!

As soon as I got home I changed the oil and filter again, used a Sakura filter and Shell Rimula 15W40 this time, after reading reports online that it was ideal for a 1HD-T.

Well, the 80 is still going strong...Got a couple of things planned for her, hopefully some this weekend...

1: New ARAD copper/brass 3 core radiator
2: New v-belts, hoses and clamps (genuine)
3: New timing belt, thermostat, idler and spring. I'm not doing the water pump because it was done 20,000 ks ago, with the timing belt, but, being 7 years ago, I'm not willing to risk it for a $45.00 belt plus associated while you're at it items.
4: New TAIHO Big-end bearings. Once again, they were done in the 1996 recall, and were fine when the timing belt was done in 2007, but I'm not willing to risk it for a $65 set of bearings.
5: 'Turbo' badges - these are actually for a HDJ100, but I couldn't find 80 series ones except genuine, and I'm not paying $45 each side for them. So, $9 got me both these of eBay

And, coming soon - a 3 inch MANTA exhaust, probably in 409 stainless, straight pipe, 3 inch from the turbo flange to the rear.

IMG_20150806_222706.jpg

IMG_20150825_165015.jpg

IMG_20150826_180753.jpg

IMG_20150827_191023.jpg

And lastly, the care package from Amayama...I thought I ordered radiator hoses and belts, and clamps...but I actually ordered every single water hose on the truck...Ah well...
IMG_20150827_221758.jpg

So many genuine parts:clap:
Let us know if you need a hand fitting all of that beautiful stuff. Also, what's your long term lift and tires gunna be?

Oh dear, this is getting worse - ordered a 3 inch Manta exhaust today.
@Indestructible 47 - Yeah, will do; won't be for a couple of weeks because we're selling the house.
Dunno about lift/tyres. Probably 3 inch flexy coils and 5 or 6 inch shocks and 35x12.5 M8060 radial trepadors.

Sure thing, give us a couple of minutes.

@mikaelrules
This is the hoses and clamps for coolant hoses (heater, turbo feed, radiator etc) and v-belts

CLAMP Toyota 96111 10490
PIPE, RUBBER Toyota 16571 17010
HOSE, RUBBER Toyota 16264 17011
CLAMP Toyota 90466 41008
CLAMP Toyota 96111 10530
BELT Toyota 99332 11260
PIPE, RUBBER Toyota 16572 17010
HOSE, RUBBER Toyota 16284 17010
PIPE, RUBBER Toyota 16285 17010
FASTENER Toyota 90467 15022
BELT Toyota 90916 02452
HOSE, RUBBER Toyota 16261 17010

Last edited:
And for the timing belt job

90916 03089 - Thermostat (also fits 1HZ, all other 1HD# and 1VD
16346 66020 - Thermostat seal (Fits the above plus 1FZ)
13568 19065 - Timing belt. The service sticker is a nice touch too!
90507 27003 - Tensioner spring (Beware, I think these differ between years of the 1HD-T, I suggest you make sure it suits your particular truck)
08816 10001 - Viscous hub silicone oil (if you feel the urge. I'm planning to play around with this and see if I can get it to lock a bit earlier.

And finally, the water pump. If mine hadn't been done 20,000 km ago I would have done it again.

16100 19235

Hope this helps!

I am always so jealous of the cruisers available in Aus, Even if you do drive on the wrong side of the road.Welcome and enjoy while we here in states cry about no diesels or 5 speeds.

I am always so jealous of the cruisers available in Aus, Even if you do drive on the wrong side of the road.Welcome and enjoy while we here in states cry about no diesels or 5 speeds.

Yeah, I can't understand why Toyota doesn't get themselves motivated and get diesel cruisers into the U.S. As far as I can see, most of their competitors have a diesel option. It goes the other way too though - I see a Dodge Ram or a Chevy Silverado or an F250 or a Toyota Tundra and go Ooooh, because Dodge, Chevy, Ford and Toyota don't bring them here. Heck, I'd actually be interested to see a LX450 in the flesh. But, I will say, after the 1HD-T, I won't go back to a petrol cruiser. I do sometimes wish I had an auto tho...sometimes...

BTW, we drive on the right side of the road, which happens to be the left :flipoff2:

no you drive on the British side of the road.When you kick them out of the country your suppose to make new rules,and quit following theirs. Your free now drive whichever side you choose.Just teasing. Actually I think it was the American car company's and oil company's that blocked the diesels from here.Our diesel engines are way behind whats found in the rest of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom