ASFIR Skid plates and front bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Asfir Offroad makes an aluminum skid plate that replaces the OEM front skid plate. 🤷🏻‍♂️
If you are referring to this one, I would like to know how to install it with just the OEM front skid plate removed.

If you are referring to this one, I would like to know how to install it with just the OEM front skid plate removed.

You may have already done this but… loosen everything so you only have a few threads in. Once you have every bolt in with a few threads in, tighten them all in a star pattern. Hopefully that helps.

You can see in the picture that it's bottoming out on something a couple of inches in front.

I installed like 3 weeks ago with zero issues. Don’t know what to tell you.

Did you have the stock skid plate?
No. It was missing.

F173E7AC-4E9C-4CBB-85DB-18885BF08606.jpeg

One of the best modification investments that I've made.

1652012855764.png

Since it does NOT have holes, it works like the bow on a flat bottom boat to deflect water during deep water crossings. I do a lot of water and mud crossings over the course of a year. I believe that it helped to save my alternator.

1652013004285.png

Works well in swampy environments like this airboat.

1652013296855.png

Last edited:
The 3 dimensional shape of this can be a challenge to bring to a landing perfectly parallel to the vehicle especially when you are on your back. The post about engaging minimal threads was a good idea. I supported mine with blocking and worked the Back in while under the middle of the vehicle looking forward. As many have done, including in that video, I slightly slotted the holes.

Has anyone here installed the ASFIR Gear skid (middle piece) with Metaltech sliders installed? My ubolts for the slider sit right in the way, preventing me from installing the cross-beam that the skid mounts to.

One one side, it looks like I've got almost enough room between the ubolt and frame to slide the cross beam through, but the ubolt on the other side is pretty much flush with the frame.

Wondering if I fiddle with the ubolts and free up a bit of space on the bottom if it'll be enough clearance to get it through.

If not, I don't know how else I'd go about installing the skid while keeping my rock sliders as well.

Anyone done this? If so, any tips would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone here installed the ASFIR Gear skid (middle piece) with Metaltech sliders installed? My ubolts for the slider sit right in the way, preventing me from installing the cross-beam that the skid mounts to.

One one side, it looks like I've got almost enough room between the ubolt and frame to slide the cross beam through, but the ubolt on the other side is pretty much flush with the frame.

Wondering if I fiddle with the ubolts and free up a bit of space on the bottom if it'll be enough clearance to get it through.

If not, I don't know how else I'd go about installing the skid while keeping my rock sliders as well.

Anyone done this? If so, any tips would be super appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I am thinking to make new u-bolts.

I am thinking to make new u-bolts.

I addressed this quite some ways back in this thread - new (larger width opening) u-bolts won't fit into the existing mounting holes in the legs of your sliders.

My Metaltech/OPOR slider u-bolts were a perfect (snug) fit over the installed ASFIR bracket. While bolting it up I did use a bottle jack to press the ASFIR bracket firmly against the frame - there is no gap or space under it.

On the question of using just the front skid - it will interfere with the factory middle cover. The factory middle cover can be trimmed for the two to work together. If at all possible get the front and middle plates from ASFIR and be done with it - really fantastic upgrade.

I don't know the exact dimensions, whatever comes in @TRAIL TAILOR 's diff drop kit.

View attachment 2467804
I addressed this quite some ways back in this thread - new (larger width opening) u-bolts won't fit into the existing mounting holes in the legs of your sliders.

My Metaltech/OPOR slider u-bolts were a perfect (snug) fit over the installed ASFIR bracket. While bolting it up I did use a bottle jack to press the ASFIR bracket firmly against the frame - there is no gap or space under it.

Ahh, thank you! This is encouraging to see. So, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you were able to slide the ASFIR bracket through the opening in the ubolt? Or did you unbolt the sliders and fit the ASFIR bracket first?

My ubolts don't seem to have quite enough of a gap to get the bracket through at the moment, but I'm guessing I can just loosen the bolts holding the sliders on and try and get a bit more of a gap?

Thanks again!

20200816_194843.jpg
I have a tiny bit of room in the leg for bigger u-bolt. Definite no way to insert the bracket between frame and u-bolt now. What year is your cruiser?

There are small spacers under each end of MongooseGA's bracket ~ like a 1 cm thick washer.

My 100 is a US 1999.

I mounted the ASFIR bracket snug to the frame and then put the slider u-bolt over it (and UNDER the brake lines!).

No need to touch my sliders to remove my skid plates ~ don't expect to take the bracket off unless I need to drop the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom