Article: Why the 200 Series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stop. The drivetrain and suspension components in my 2014 F150 were as beefy as the LC. The frame rails on my F150 were a lot larger. Nothing about the LC is even close to what is in a 1 ton truck from the last 15 years. They have been using 10.5+" ring gears in the axles of 3/4 ton trucks since the early 2000's at least. The lightest weight F250 regular cab gas engine 4x4 is just as heavy as the heaviest 200 series, except the F250 has cloth seats and a vinyl floor and an aluminum body the cut 400-500 lbs vs a steel body. Even a moderately optioned crew cab will be north of 7000 lbs even with the light weight aluminum body.

Lets just say, hypothetically, you could drop a 6.7L Cummins or Powerstroke that makes 1000+ ft-lbs of torque at 1500 rpm into the 200 series without changing anything else. You honestly think the chassis and drivetrain would survive holding up an extra 800 lbs of engine over the front tires and then be able to hook up to a 14000 lb trailer and use those 1000 ft-lbs of torque without it turning to dust?

Take out all the fancy leather and sound deadening and they wouldn't weigh any more than any other 1/2 ton truck or SUV. In fact, my LX570 is lighter than my parents mid-trim Expedition.

The 200 series is a stout truck for what it is but some of you are delusional.
Size and material choice. Tie rods on 200 are the size of the steering linkages on SFA from Ford.

The LCAs on the GM HD stuff are a joke.

Yes, I think the front can handle it. Of course it will need heavier springs, but the foundation is stout enough.

Stop. The drivetrain and suspension components in my 2014 F150 were as beefy as the LC. The frame rails on my F150 were a lot larger. Nothing about the LC is even close to what is in a 1 ton truck from the last 15 years. They have been using 10.5+" ring gears in the axles of 3/4 ton trucks since the early 2000's at least. The lightest weight F250 regular cab gas engine 4x4 is just as heavy as the heaviest 200 series, except the F250 has cloth seats and a vinyl floor and an aluminum body the cut 400-500 lbs vs a steel body. Even a moderately optioned crew cab will be north of 7000 lbs even with the light weight aluminum body.

Lets just say, hypothetically, you could drop a 6.7L Cummins or Powerstroke that makes 1000+ ft-lbs of torque at 1500 rpm into the 200 series without changing anything else. You honestly think the chassis and drivetrain would survive holding up an extra 800 lbs of engine over the front tires and then be able to hook up to a 14000 lb trailer and use those 1000 ft-lbs of torque without it turning to dust?

Take out all the fancy leather and sound deadening and they wouldn't weigh any more than any other 1/2 ton truck or SUV. In fact, my LX570 is lighter than my parents mid-trim Expedition.

While I am not considering my language in replies as much as I should, this forum is great and we all bring knowledge and views to the table which help. However your last sentence labeling people on this forum does not seem helpful. However true you think your knowledge on the subject is. Just my 2 cents on that. Ignore it if you like.

Why the 200? It just works. Forever if well maintained. A little less if not. Same as the 100, the 80, the 60,...

My 200 is 10 years old this fall. Never an issue over a lot of miles. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere with a moments notice. In the 10 years I have owned it I have driven multiple times to southern Mexico. Multiple times to the Beaufort Sea in both AK and Canada. A couple of times to the east coast of Hudson Bay. Coast to coast US as well. All flawless. Find me a non-Toyota true off-road vehicle that will do this consistently day in and day out and I will consider it. Good luck finding one other than a Toyota.And my Toyota of choice is the Land Cruiser.

Size and material choice. Tie rods on 200 are the size of the steering linkages on SFA from Ford.

Yes, I think the front can handle it. Of course it will need heavier springs, but the foundation is stout enough.
Source of tie rods and Ford SFA steering?

I have seen pic of difference b/w tie rod of LC200 and that of 4Runner.

While I am not considering my language in replies as much as I should, this forum is great and we all bring knowledge and views to the table which help. However your last sentence labeling people on this forum does not seem helpful. However true you think your knowledge on the subject is. Just my 2 cents on that. Ignore it if you like.
When you spend enough time in Toyota groups and you arn't a Koolaid drinking Toyota fanboi, then it becomes frustrating to see what some people come up with to justify Toyota ownership. You should see how much people overload Tundra's on the Tundra forum simply because they refuse to buy an appropriately capable domestic truck for their task. It dangerous and irresponsible in some cases.

So, I dont feel bad. Especially because those kinds of claims are never backed up.

I bought a 200 series for the same reasons as most everyone else here but I also like to be real about things.

Last edited:

Stop. Is this my alt? LOLOL

Look with your 👀
Maybe you’re seeing different……but i have looked under my bro’s 2024 F250 with 6.7 HO. It is pretty impressive, which is expected giving its class leading tow capacity and payload. It is like some of us ogling about how big our tie rod is over a 4Runner……..well, LC can tow 8k lbs and weighs at least 500 or more lbs tank 4runner! So, it is EXPECTED to be more stout.

And even my lowly 1/2 ton F150 IFS UCA and LCA look just as massive if not more than my LC!

Last edited:
@skrypj other than the fact that I think im in love with you I wanted to make sure anyone reading knows:

Don't get it twisted, this not an off-road forum, this is a poorly disguised Toyota forum.

Poorly disguised? Anyone that doesn't know this is a Toyota-oriented forum isn't even trying to pay attention.

With regard to the 200-series, and landcruisers in general built over different timeframes, I feel a little bit like the dude from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but for me it comes down to one word: Quality.

No, a 200 isn't perfect, but easily it's the highest quality product I can get my hands on that fits my use case.

Look with your 👀
So, this is what i have of my 2023 Ford F150 Powerboost frame:

Material thickness = 0.11”

Frame box width = 4.4” (all non-Raptor non-hybrid F150 frames measure 3.6", Raptor frame is at 6.6")

Frame height = 9” (same for all F150s)

(I am sure that Ford F250/350 frames are magnitude bigger than my dimensions above.)

Does anyone know these frame dimensions on LC200? Obviously, the materials of the frame matters too, not just the size.

The only doc that i can see about LC200 is here: 200 series frame dimensions? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200-series-frame-dimensions.1148381/

Last edited:
My daughters have already staked claims on them, including the 200.
Dude this is awesome haha Im hoping to do something similar with my daughter, but with a S13

When you spend enough time in Toyota groups and you arn't a Koolaid drinking Toyota fanboi, then it becomes frustrating to see what some people come up with to justify Toyota ownership.
Dude, im normally in the 60 forum. Nailed it

The article describes the primary reason I bought my LC. I hope to be driving it 20+ years from now. I am hoping it will be as reliable and rattle free as it is today. I have 26 year old T100 bought new in 1997. None of my friends still own their Fords, Chevy's or Dodges from that time frame. It just recently started having emission issues. It runs fine I just have check engine light for bad sensors, charcoal canister, etc... We have 2009 Infiniti none of my friends still own their BMW, Mercs, Porsches, etc... from then either. We are finally going to replace the Infiniti but not due to anything wrong with car it runs as good as day we bought it and has 140k+ miles. We are waiting on Lexus IS 500 F. If we can't get the IS we might have to splurge on LC 500. I have not owned anything made in US or Europe since before 1997.
Do I think the LC is perfect no. There are few things I don't like, none of them have to do with gadgets or tech s***. I don't like mpg. I not fan all the crevices and angles in front grill area, hard to clean. I wish it was on 17inch rims not 18 but not enough to waste money on changing them out. I did not like screens on back of front seats so I removed them, no kids. I not fan of 3rd row but have not removed them as have not needed the extra space, I do not have place to store them, and I am not fan of holes that will be left behind.
Things I love about my LC. The turning radius and easy and maneuverability for vehicle its size. Comfort for long haul driving, how quite it is inside at 85mph on concrete highways. The CD player I am old and have a lot of CDs. The 4x4 system is best I have owned. I got it stuck in sand a beach on purpose then let it get itself out so cool.

The article describes the primary reason I bought my LC. I hope to be driving it 20+ years from now. I am hoping it will be as reliable and rattle free as it is today. I have 26 year old T100 bought new in 1997. None of my friends still own their Fords, Chevy's or Dodges from that time frame. It just recently started having emission issues. It runs fine I just have check engine light for bad sensors, charcoal canister, etc... We have 2009 Infiniti none of my friends still own their BMW, Mercs, Porsches, etc... from then either. We are finally going to replace the Infiniti but not due to anything wrong with car it runs as good as day we bought it and has 140k+ miles. We are waiting on Lexus IS 500 F. If we can't get the IS we might have to splurge on LC 500. I have not owned anything made in US or Europe since before 1997.
Do I think the LC is perfect no. There are few things I don't like, none of them have to do with gadgets or tech s***. I don't like mpg. I not fan all the crevices and angles in front grill area, hard to clean. I wish it was on 17inch rims not 18 but not enough to waste money on changing them out. I did not like screens on back of front seats so I removed them, no kids. I not fan of 3rd row but have not removed them as have not needed the extra space, I do not have place to store them, and I am not fan of holes that will be left behind.
Things I love about my LC. The turning radius and easy and maneuverability for vehicle its size. Comfort for long haul driving, how quite it is inside at 85mph on concrete highways. The CD player I am old and have a lot of CDs. The 4x4 system is best I have owned. I got it stuck in sand a beach on purpose then let it get itself out so cool.
My Coworker has a 1996 Suburban.....850,000 miles....looks like crap but it still runs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom