Armed with 50ft of 3mm vacuum hose... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
50ft of 3mm + 12ft of 6mm, boyish good looks, and no idea what I'm looking at or doing, I set off to replace all my vacuum hoses as many were collapsed or already split at the ends after I stopped by the shop on base to see if they could help me figure out why the truck refused to idle and died every time I stopped, I assumed it was the carb. The head shop mechanic came out and knew a little about 60's since his dad had one when he was growing up in California. He pointed out a slew of problems right off the bat, but I'll leave that for another day. He showed me all the hoses were toast and some were literally crumbling away in his fingers, the fuel lines weren't in much better shape as some had leaks due to age.

He told me that I could do this job myself and not to throw money away at them to do it, just go hose by hose.

I left the shop a little frustrated and upset, and drove the truck straight home and parked it to figure out what I wanted to do. First thoughts was to just make an appt with ACC and just let them keep it and slowly work on it and I would pay what every week basically be the last truck they touch.

This morning I woke up still pissed but I decided to start tackling what I could. I searched all the threads and armed with little to no better knowledge I went to napa and bought a spool of 3mm and 12ft of 6mm. I went one line at a time and used a exacto knife to cut away the melted on hoses and just kept going. I did find some hoses going to no where, so I put the old hose in place until I have some more time to hunt down where their end points are.

So here's what $28 bucks worth of new vaccum hose looks like and the pile of crap hoses. First two pics are the start, then the pile, and then finished product. I guess I should have went with a colored hose so I'd feel more accomplished when looking under the hood. Also, please don't be too harsh with me, I rerouted the path of some of the hoses to make it out of the way and I made sure it wasn't binding with anything. I also wanted to do a high quality silicone hose, but no one in town had any, and my determination was to do this today. Still haven't fired her up yet to see if my sputtering and idling issues are fixed as I still want to tackle the fuel lines and some other things.

So for all you guys who are worried about replacing vacuum lines, don't be. If I can do it, a monkey or a 3yr old can.

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

This is what we do! Think about someone doing the work for us, then saying F**K it I'll do it myself! All indications point to either a vacuum leak (somewhere less than obvious) or maybe your idle cut solenoid on the carb. Good luck on your new acquisition. Enjoyed reading about the adventure!

Way to grab the bull by the horns:). The more you work on it, the better you will understand how the systems work. Everything you need to know is somewhere on this forum. A good place to start is to download all the FSMs available for free here on Mud. Read,research and dive in. These vehicle are pretty simple once you understand them. When you try to have someone else work on them, they usually know less than you,unless they are a true Landcruiser mechanic. Have fun learning and ask a lot of questions here. You will find that everyone here wants to help. Good luck.;)

Thanks for the encouragement btw! Ive decided I'm going to do as much as I can before paying someone to do it ie beyond my scope, which won't take long! Haha

Just found a crack in the exhaust manifold too, so adding more to the list, sigh.

Fuel lines, I'm just gonna get them at local auto parts store and cut to fit (advanced, autozone, oriellys, napa) anyone have the sizes as by the looks there are two different sizes? Also, are the lines pressurized? If I start pulling hoses like the vacuum, will fuel just start spraying or flowing out? I'll just get some generic automotive replacement clips as well to go ahead and get that squared away.

I've searched threads and wealth of info, but some of it is a tad confusing but I'm trying to dechiper!

Great job and lookout the money you Jim st saved to put toward the new bill coming up; a fresh weld. Let's see your crack. ;) Yes I'm being funny but I also want to see. My intake was cracked and I had to have it welded.

Lol! Your thread was one of my main reasons to suck it up and start working on it!
I'm glad I helped get you over the anxiety. It is just metal as someone said to me last night. My own truck has me very frustrated right now. I'll get it but man it's taking over my brain. It's a damn good thing I'm single or I'd be in the dog house!

Nice Work!!....yeah, it's cool to see you doing this! If you have not found it yet, there are some good diagrams at www.Toyotapartsdirect.ca
you can plug in your model and get a pretty good list of diagrams....also, I have purchased this APP on my phone "Toyota Parts Diagram" it's totally worth it ..I think. I sit and go through it for hours at night or my free time...just looking at everything to get myself better educated about what is what...There are a ton of vendors on the site too, that help with parts if you need it. I echo your comment about @NeverGiveUpYota ...She's been a huge inspiration to me too. Good Luck with the Manifold, I'm having mine done right now!..Catch you later.

I went the way of colored hoses so I had that sense of accomplishment that you referred too.

Nice. I had someone (reputable on this forum in the past) do a valve job. It never quite ran right so I got into this.
I found all kinds of hoses in the wrong place. If you want something done right do it your self.......I should have heeded that advice but was neck deep in other projects at the time. Never again.

I spend all my free time searching the forum and see how others have fixed issues and read about some steps that can be avoided, so it's absolutely great.

This community is much more tight knit than the tundra community and I've been apart of them since '10, not on the mud forums.

My hopes are to have a dependable rig that isn't hard on the eyes that one day I'd be able to roll up to a meet without getting looks & snickers while it's sputtering and dying in the parking lot

I spend all my free time searching the forum and see how others have fixed issues and read about some steps that can be avoided, so it's absolutely great.

This community is much more tight knit than the tundra community and I've been apart of them since '10, not on the mud forums.

My hopes are to have a dependable rig that isn't hard on the eyes that one day I'd be able to roll up to a meet without getting looks & snickers while it's sputtering and dying in the parking lot
My old truck was a beauty. Bone stock. But the holes around the rear shackles were embarrassing! She was a true salt eaten eastern truck. I drove her to meets as far as NH from CT but never wheeled her. I would bet now, I gave her too little credit and she could have done some light wheeling w/ zero issues. So just saying I get it. Lol, even now my little beater Nissans' exhaust is so loud I am perpetually trying to turn it down by the stereo volumn knob!

Anxious, I ran to oriellys and picked up some generic fuel lines, and replaced them.

I got a little nervous because I pulled the choke, pumped the gas pedal 3 times and it wouldn't start. Three more pumps, nothing. Got really worried I jacked something up. I pumped two more times and she started to sputter to life, idled high at 1000 rpms and after 3-5 mins I pushed the choke in and sputtered and died. Pulled the choke back out and cranked her up and she rev'ed to 1000rpm again, after another 5 mins, pushed choke in and she sputtered between 500-650rpms and was just always on the cusp of dying. Still have the nasty exhaust leak which seems to have gotten worse. But, on the shake down run and once the truck got to operating temps, it didn't die at any lights, so that's a plus

I'm looking at possibly getting a trollhole carb and finish up the desmog process and then replace the manifold with one a member had offered to sell me, and get mine cleaned up and welded, get the factory carb checked out and put in shed as a backup and start amassing my collection of cruiser parts

Check the ICS (idle cut-off solenoid) on carb. The more you describe your problem, the more I think it fits.

Start here. Good thread.
Idle control valve/solenoid and the stutters

Thanks for the tip! I looked at the sensor/plug that was on the right side of the carb and it looked okay, I was thinking of the ICS, just couldn't think of it at the time when I was tinkering. Here's a question, if the o-ring is gone, what do I do then? In the thread he found some universal pack of rings that did not work and just happened to find the factory one by chance on the truck

it is almost always a problem with the ground to the ECM being intermittent or not at all. Follow the thread, it wasn't his o ring. Turn the key and listen for a click near your carb. If no click, there is your problem. If you hear it, it may STILL be your problem. Make a jumper from the factory conector and ground it to the carb body and try your idle then.

Again, this is the journey. Take deep breaths and don't stress this small stuff. You will lick this in no time at all. It gets to be fun later, trust me!

Has anyone purchased a Aftermarket ICS from coolcruisers? I've checked everywhere and doesn't look like OEM is available anymore except from a donor/parts truck. I called every salvage yard within 100mi of me and none had any FJ60/62 parts, 3 specifically told me something along the lines of "good luck finding anything for a 30yr old rust bucket" geez, a simple no would have sufficed lol.

Also, coolant hoses, anyone have luck just sourcing non oem stuff that would work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom