ARB Bumper - Suspension Data Point

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by tarbe, Jun 27, 2005.

1. tarbe

tarbe

Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
    The ARB was delivered today and my wonderful wife knew I'd want to install it right away, so she cleared my schedule and the larger side of the garage so I could put it on after dinner.

I measured both sides from the bottom of the flare to the top edge of the wheel. 14" even on both sides.

After installation, my 47 year-old eyes could not make the steel tape read any different than 14". Given that my eyes probably (!) aren't quite what they used to be, I still don't think it could have come down more than 1/16" or I would have seen it.

I measured both before and after bouncing the front end. Same reading both times. I don't understand why the extra 70lbs or so did not drop the front. Maybe after a couple days I'll be able to detect a difference...seems like it should show up right away?

I have the OME Heavy (with 20mm packer - that accounts for the 14").

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

If you think about how much weight they hold up, another 70 pounds isn't that much for the front suspension.. Now add a winch and another battery and it will come down a bit more. Congrats on the new bumper.

3. Fochdog

Fochdog

To add to Cruiserdrew's point the OME HD fronts have a rate of 220 lbf/in. With your 70lb data point this equals about 5/16" drop in the front.

This might be within your measurement error. :confused:

4. tarbe

tarbe

Not a chance. I am saying my measurement error is no more than 1/16".

I'll measure again tonight after 35 miles of commuting. That'll tell the tale....maybe!

Oh, and that's 220 lb/in PER SPRING, right? :)

5. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
  6. tarbe

tarbe

After a day of driving and settling, I'd have to say it is down 1/16 of an inch from where it was with the stock bumper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.