Anyone making it to CMCC 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to see which ONSC members are planning to attend CMCC this year?

I'm headed up June 13th and staying in a cabin at Twin Grove campground.

Not an ONSC member so I don't satisfy the criteria of your request, but we are from the region.
Bride and I will be attending. We opted to stay at the Hampton Inn at Pine Grove.
I will check around for NC plates at morning line up.

Not an ONSC member so I don't satisfy the criteria of your request, but we are from the region.
Bride and I will be attending. We opted to stay at the Hampton Inn at Pine Grove.
I will check around for NC plates at morning line up.
Glad to hear
Not far from the camp grounds
We usually eat in downtown Pine Grove at O'Neals at least one night
The Pine Grove Diner is also a good spot for breakfast before hitting the road for AOAA

Glad to hear
Not far from the camp grounds
We usually eat in downtown Pine Grove at O'Neals at least one night
The Pine Grove Diner is also a good spot for breakfast before hitting the road for AOAA

We (daughter & I) have attended many prior years and enjoyed meals at O'Neals & the Diner too. The Red Lion seemed to always to stand out the most since their servings are so large (too large, lol). This will be the CMCC for the bride. New park. Might feel like a brand new Coal Miner.
Looking forward to meeting you there.

What/when/where is CMCC?

Already done
Great weather and trails were awesome

Sorry to miss meeting you at trail head. I hope you had a good time.

Anthracite get any better?

Better in what regard? This was my first trip to AOAA. In comparing to Rausch Creek, it seemed like there were not that many blue level trails compared to all the green. Several of the sights/overlooks (whale backs, Mammoth trail, ...) at AOAA were visually beyond what Rausch has, but wheeling is the draw rather than sightseeing.

Well I can't compare to Rausch Creek since I have not been there. Maybe next time
There were some new trails added since last year.
We had a good group on the trails that kept a good pace running blue and black trails. As you said lots of green trails.
Weather was great
I like the Cove and Windrock more.

We did go out to the new monster boulder trail but only did a drive by seeing from a distance.

Good meeting you guys... my Lx made it home woth no issues... got her tore down today to see the mid shaft snapped... camburg dosent want to replace it cause it's not on a tundra... so I just went ahead and ordered RCV'S... looking forward to the fall crawl

So none of you did the new 1-mile monster boulder trail??? Anybody at least get a look at it?

The list of requirements, additional waiver and bs you have to go through to use "mammoth" is ridiculous. I'll probably never go on it myself, let alone ever back to aoaa.

Again, this entire list and associated waiver is just for that one trail within aoaa.

Screenshot_20220718-195424.png

Good meeting you guys... my Lx made it home woth no issues... got her tore down today to see the mid shaft snapped... camburg dosent want to replace it cause it's not on a tundra... so I just went ahead and ordered RCV'S... looking forward to the fall crawl
Bummer on the failure
Glad to hear you made it home ok

The list of requirements, additional waiver and bs you have to go through to use "mammoth" is ridiculous. I'll probably never go on it myself, let alone ever back to aoaa.

Again, this entire list and associated waiver is just for that one trail within aoaa.

View attachment 3062755

This explains the series of locked gates that we passed after whale back. We also viewed a portion of Mammoth from the overlook and I think we were at the final exit further down the trail.
Being a wimpy pup, I know that I will never be attempting Mammoth myself. But limiting access does not seem like the best business model in attracting interest and traffic to Mammoth. To illustrate my point; at Tellico, we would park and walk over to watch the show on lower 2. Developing viewing access (opportunities) of Mammoth seems like a basic for the trail. [i.e., you gain paying customers that just park and watch without increasing congestion on the trails for other customers (seems like free money)] They invested time and resources in developing Mammoth, so they need to attract drivers to the trail and foster viewing access to recover their investment. At least in my assessment ...

This explains the series of locked gates that we passed after whale back. We also viewed a portion of Mammoth from the overlook and I think we were at the final exit further down the trail.
Being a wimpy pup, I know that I will never be attempting Mammoth myself. But limiting access does not seem like the best business model in attracting interest and traffic to Mammoth. To illustrate my point; at Tellico, we would park and walk over to watch the show on lower 2. Developing viewing access (opportunities) of Mammoth seems like a basic for the trail. [i.e., you gain paying customers that just park and watch without increasing congestion on the trails for other customers (seems like free money)] They invested time and resources in developing Mammoth, so they need to attract drivers to the trail and foster viewing access to recover their investment. At least in my assessment ...

I think you're spot on.

Afaik this is the only trail on the east coast that has its own rules, regulations, and requirements above what the park it's in requires.

The group I've been running with lately doesn't plan out our day's wheeling schedule more than 6 hours in advance (if at all) so having to schedule a date and time with the office is just insane to me.

Yeah not sure what their thought process is on setting limits and or restrictions. You would think they would want to attract more people to the park. Making it harder to use (or be a spectator) of the trail is kind of backwards.

Having said that.
The videos of the trail on YouTube are pretty good and the trail looks very well made/designed.
It isn’t drive 6-9 hours, coordinate use of, meet special requirements good, but it does. Look fun to do. Maybe the additional restrictions will go away once more people do it.

From what I have seen.
Mammoth is like doing that “rock river” trail at rousch creek with a few more spots making it more challenging.

EDIT: forgot to mention, from what I can tell on the videos out there, the trail gets harder and harder the further along you go. I’m assuming the boulders are not as close to each other towards the end of the trail making it significantly harder to traverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom