Anyone know where to get a hand throttle cable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C

I know a member on here sold them in the past (Nathan) but he has gone MIA. I don’t really want to pay SOR prices for a replacement. I would be happy with a reproduction or even something that I could use for a hand throttle.

There is the old bike gear cable, but I have never really like those and unless they are adjusted perfectly, sometimes changing gears changes your engine speed.

Any info would be great.

Slickrock.

Howdy! Any lawnmower throttle cable, or automotive choke cable can work for this. I use a choke cable on mine. I have just enough bend in it so that it will not move in or out unless I push/pull on it. I can pull up the idle speed to 1500 rpm and run my York fast enough to fill tires on 2 rigs at once. It is also great for tuff situations where you have to gas/brake/clutch all at the same time. Mine is in the dash, but some guys rig it up on the shift lever. John

I know a member on here sold them in the past (Nathan) but he has gone MIA.

I just got my 2 cables from him in late Feb, so he can't have been MIA long. :cool:

have you seen the posts from the for sale section?

Thanks for the responses guys. I was at the hardware store last night and noticed a lawn more throttle cable/ RPM lever. I think I can hook it on my shifter, but can't figure out where to attach it to the throttle on the carb. The cable is very ridged and it interferes with the gas pedal. Any pics of where people mounted theirs on the carb? I searched but didn't see anything that would work for me.

I need to take a look at the link Ranger posted. Maybe it will work better for me.

Form follows function Dan. The carb end of the cable must do three things.

1. It must be anchored in the line of travel the bellcrank pivots in. This is basically the same plane the accel cable travels in, assuming you have a cable actuated carb. Even if you don't, the bolt on the inboard side of the carb that holds the accel [or choke] cable bracket is a good place to start.

2. The anchor on the carb must have a hole in it for the accel cable to pass THRU. This allows the bellcrank to move regardless of whether the accel cable is being used or not. Swinging the bellcrank back and forth while checking for cable interference thru the entire range of motion is CRITICAL. You will probably end up bending your cable anchor bracket several times until you achieve the proper range of motion results without unneccessary friction. You might even have to make a second bracket if your first one does not allow for smooth and complete motion.

3. The cable itself must allow for the full range of motion. This is usually a simple matter of trimming back enough of the cable housing to allow enough exposed cable to reach the bellcrank in all it's positions.

I would take a pic of mine, but it's pretty hokey. I've been meaning to re-do it, but just haven't.

Best

Mark A.

I've been using the mountain bike cable setup for years. Any stretch can be adjusted for with the adjuster at the carb end of the cable. No rev changes noted. I also use it as my "cruise control" on the road. Had to train myself to hit the lever down upon braking. Only real problem is when r&ring the tranny. Then I have to reroute it as it runs on top of tranny up to shifter. I have a spare aluminum one for cost if you want it.

OK I have the spare from Blue. I was looking at my carb and ac cable last night. Where have you guys found the best place to hook the cable up to ont he carb? In line with the throttle cable?

Slick, I have the rod accelerator setup. Do you have the cable setup? If you do, please post us a shot of how the cable connects to your carb, including a firewall in the background. I have some ideas. I want to see this before I send you anything.

Will do tonight

the oem hand throttle setup to the gas pedal works great . " 77-fj-40 " has a few pics from his oem throttle cable install

Edit just reread your post you are just looking for a cable.

It works great if your accel pedal has a place to put the cable end. My stock '77 one does not. I believe SOR sells the pedal that has the clip welded on for the barrel cable end and you need the lower bracket as well that holds the cable end. You can make the upper bracket easily enough. Here's a pic of the lower bracket and the pedal. The stock cable is similar to a choke cable and has detents/friction to hold it in place.
Bikini topless BJ42 006.jpg

I sent you a PM Dan. I htink the route to go is like the picture above. I need to see if my 73 has the accomidations on the pedal for a cable. Even if it doesn't it looks easy enough to fabricate and weld something up to work with a bike cable or SOR has used throttle cables for around 20 bucks (plus their crazy processing fees)

I sent you a PM Dan. I htink the route to go is like the picture above. I need to see if my 73 has the accomidations on the pedal for a cable. Even if it doesn't it looks easy enough to fabricate and weld something up to work with a bike cable or SOR has used throttle cables for around 20 bucks (plus their crazy processing fees)

Old Shane had the whole setup up on EBay restored to perfection for just $500 :p

They also come on alot of the BJ70's I've seen in Switzerland, so maybe you could find one from someone parting out an old 70.

My BJ42 version is a pull type, while my BJ70 is a twist type. Not sure which I prefer - pull gets fast results but twist has really good 'fine tuning'.

Post up your mods - possible title " redneck cruise control"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom