Anybody here sell their sports car to get Land cruiser or LX 570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I kind of did this twice. Sold my Panamera to get my first LX570 (had a 470 alongside Panamera, sold both and got an LX) and then happened upon a 991 Porsche 911. I have it alongside my LX and just Sunday I took the 911 out for a drive and midway through said... man I wish I took the LX. I might drive the 911 once a week or so. It’s a base model so maybe having a turbo would be different, but it’s still plenty quick.

For me, the 911 is fun for an hour or so tops. After that, I can’t wait to get in the LX! I often think if I had to choose between the two, it would be the 13 LX. Hands down. The only area it lacks in compared to the Porsche is in the head turning category, which let’s be honest- should be worthless.

Thankfully I did not. The good Lord has blessed me. I have been through a life of hell, especially throughout my childhood,But my parents instealed the gospel to me and brought me up with a hard work ethic. I have been given biblical wisdom through my mother and business since through my father. I am blessed. I felt like I had the opportunity to witness and just wanted to share. I have sold numerous cars to get to where my stable is now. Just try to make money on them honestly. Man that was deep, God bless.

What’d you get into? Year and LC/LX?

Purchased a 2019 LC and fell in love almost immedialty. The AMG was difficult to say goodbye to but was built for fun and not an appropriate car for work amoung other things. Here a picture of the big girl from last week.

I finally canned the laughably bad Dunflops and put on a set of Ridge Grapplers. So far they are awesome.
18F35CE7-BA0C-43B5-9E5A-CC6452F88B2E.jpeg

E3FD5E4C-DD73-4C48-837F-E05AF065E0E9.jpeg

Here is a problem to consider when going from a sports car to a heavy SUV like a LC.

When I bought my 2016 Land Cruiser, I still had my Lancer Evolution. I would often times hop in the Land Cruiser and drive it like i drove the Evo. This is a great way to kill your front tires. KDSS works great for keeping you planted better than expected when turning fast, but you will chew through the outer edges of your front tires.

The other thing to consider is no bothers are given when driving the LC. I will run over any pot hole and not care about road imperfections. I once hopped in the Evo after driving the LC for a few days and wasnt paying attention to road imperfections. Hit one road imperfection a bit hard and cringed!

I traded my '13 M5 for my '17 Land Cruiser. I had an '08 911 Turbo before the M5. With the M5 and 911, I also had a pickup if I needed to haul or tow anything. I was actually planning to trade the '13 M5 for a new M5 but couldn't stomach the depreciation again. I then thought what is on the opposite end of the spectrum, depreciation-wise, from the M5 and came up with the Land Cruiser. I also got rid of my pickup after getting the Land Cruiser and bought a 12' utility trailer. I'm able to accomplish all the same tasks with far less money tied up in vehicles.

I occasionally daydream of owning another M5 or 911, but I committed to myself that I will drive my Land Cruiser for at least 10 years. Financially, I have not regretted no longer having a fast car.

@BrownDog09 ... she looks fantastic. what size are those tires?? is the suspension stock OR do you have a lift on it??

Appreciate it. She's all stock suspension aside from 1.25" Spidertrax. The tires are 285/65s along with the spacers give it a more substantial look than it had before.

PSA on the Spidertrax spacers so hopefully this can help someone.. Once you remount the wheels you have to observe the torque on the lugs carefully, going at 25% / 75% / 100% torque with no load on the wheel in a star pattern or you will have a bumpy/jumpy ride as I did. The goofs at almost every tire shop, including the dealer, cranks the nuts down to 120 or more foot lbs... So angering.

Appreciate it. She's all stock suspension aside from 1.25" Spidertrax. The tires are 285/65s along with the spacers give it a more substantial look than it had before.

PSA on the Spidertrax spacers so hopefully this can help someone.. Once you remount the wheels you have to observe the torque on the lugs carefully, going at 25% / 75% / 100% torque with no load on the wheel in a star pattern or you will have a bumpy/jumpy ride as I did. The goofs at almost every tire shop, including the dealer, cranks the nuts down to 120 or more foot lbs... So angering.

Thanks!! that helps!! feel you on the torquing of the lugs..... I literally stand over them at my local tire shop when they are doing lugs!!

Where did you get this information? I don't recall seeing that in the instructions to my spacers. I've definitely never done that 3 step process, and my ride is fine.

Where did you get this information? I don't recall seeing that in the instructions to my spacers. I've definitely never done that 3 step process, and my ride is fine.

Not an official procedure. Just what finally resolved a s***ty ride and my headache may not work for anyone else but it’s worth a try if you find a sudden balance issue on your vehicle post spacers. I was just about to pull the spacers off...when I tried one last time to figure out what the issue was.

I think I found that recommendation on a 4Runner forum after scowering the web to see if others had the problem. The dealer was insistent it was the spacers and strongly recommended removing them from the moment they saw them. Naturally, I’ll have no one tell me what’s okay and what’s not on my truck.

I kind of did this twice. Sold my Panamera to get my first LX570 (had a 470 alongside Panamera, sold both and got an LX) and then happened upon a 991 Porsche 911. I have it alongside my LX and just Sunday I took the 911 out for a drive and midway through said... man I wish I took the LX. I might drive the 911 once a week or so. It’s a base model so maybe having a turbo would be different, but it’s still plenty quick.

For me, the 911 is fun for an hour or so tops. After that, I can’t wait to get in the LX! I often think if I had to choose between the two, it would be the 13 LX. Hands down. The only area it lacks in compared to the Porsche is in the head turning category, which let’s be honest- should be worthless.

Curious to know if your 991 911 is a PDK Automatic or the 6 or 7-speed manual ? I would imagine a manual is much more fun to drive, I know people say the PDK shifts faster but to me the driving experience of a 911 with a clutch must be amazing, no ?

Curious to know if your 991 911 is a PDK Automatic or the 6 or 7-speed manual ? I would imagine a manual is much more fun to drive, I know people say the PDK shifts faster but to me the driving experience of a 911 with a clutch must be amazing, no ?

That’s a good point to raise. My 991 is PDK. Technically better but if I could do it again I’d go MT.

I had a 997 before and it was manual but also was my daily. Lasted ~60 days before trading in on a new 4Runner.

I have an e30 in the family that I almost get more joy out of (it’s slow- turtle slow) than the 991 because of the gearbox.

That said, however, I can’t do a manual on a daily basis nor do I enjoyed the harsh ride other than moments where I want a PURE driving experience. So the LandCruiser and LX will always win out if I have to choose one car. Also the adventures and Off-Roading that can be had and done in a cruiser is more fun, in my opinion, than ripping around on 9/11 around the town. Track days might offer a different experience, but with insurance and consumables can become very expensive very fast.

Last edited:
That’s a good point to raise. My 991 is PDK. Technically better but if I could do it again I’d go MT.

I had a 997 before and it was manual but also was my daily. Lasted ~60 days before trading in on a new 4Runner.

I have an e30 in the family that I almost get more joy out of (it’s slow- turtle slow) than the 991 because of the gearbox.

That said, however, I can’t do a manual on a daily basis nor do I enjoyed the harsh ride other than moments where I want to keep your driving experience. So the LandCruiser and LX will always win out if I have to choose one car. Also the adventures and Off-Roading that can be had and done in a cruiser is more fun, in my opinion, than ripping around on 9/11 around the town. Track days might offer a different experience, but with insurance and consumables can become very expensive very fast.

absolutely on point about the track days!! especially in an expensive car. I have always felt that to hone track skills and watch the budget, something like a miata would be awesome!!! but then I am probably poorer than most on this forum!! :)

No, but I can't spend much on a "sports" car. Currently a VW R. Previously a built '99.5 Audi A4 (loved this car, absolute tank, brilliant in snow and rain, great 5 speed). I tried hard to buy an RS3 instead of the R for that wonderful 400hp 5 pot but the auto and interior killed it for me so I saved the money for the 200 and went with the 6 speed R. So maybe I sort of did after all :)

Both, but I'm guessing that's not an option. I love my LC, but I also love my C43 cab. Don't think I'd want either for my only car. If I could have only one, I'd get a sportier SUV I suppose.

Point is: if you love your bitchin Camaro, you'll miss it. If it's a money thing, get an older sports car as your second. Could have cheap fun. If it's a space thing - ???

I sold my 2012 AUDI S4... I had the Stage 2 APR Tune.. some other mods that made it incredibly fast... but then I got in a Tesla Model 3 and felt what speed was really about.... made the move to the LC and never looked back. They are so much more fun to customize and I really enjoyed the idea of getting the family into Overlanding. I do not miss the sports car at all (thought I was not really a track nut). Only regret was getting rid of my 1987 Jeep Comanche ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom