anybody else try this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
Threads
as we are in the cold now -28F this morning. Anybody ever warm there trany up by putting it in gear and the transfer in N.
I did this years ago and it helps atleast shift. It's a little late to change to lighter weight lube.

I have not ever done that, but I also have not ever noticed my trans shifting hard after letting the vehicle warm up for a while when it is that cold out...

Sounds like it would work.

Good luck!

-Steve

I hadn't done that yet 3-dog, but after letting the 40 warm up tonite and then taking off, 1-2 and 3rd gear had some squalling going on when I got in the higher rpms, and I'd never heard that before. Sound like a good idea, I'll do it tomorrow morning while the motors warming up, surely can't hurt.

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=9694;start=msg85106#msg85106 date=1073348537]
I usually always found an excuse not to go anywhere when it was -28 out.
[/quote]

Does it get to be -28 in Florida?

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=9694;start=msg85111#msg85111 date=1073349459]
Does it get to be -28 in Florida?
[/quote]

That would probably be on the Kelvin thermometer. wow, flashback from junior high chemistry

[quote author=3_puppies link=board=1;threadid=9694;start=msg85098#msg85098 date=1073347796]
as we are in the cold now -28F this morning. Anybody ever warm there trany up by putting it in gear and the transfer in N.
I did this years ago and it helps atleast shift. It's a little late to change to lighter weight lube.
[/quote]

I've done that, and it never gets that cold in NJ. It's sort of fun to shift through the gears while sitting still waiting for the engine to warm up. Just remember to put the tranny back in N when you re-engage the transfer case. . . . :doh:

Oh, can you do us a favor? Do whatever you can to warm up that air mass before it heads east--have some bonfires, light your farts, anything! I'm not ready for the single digits yet.

[quote author=3_puppies link=board=1;threadid=9694;start=msg85215#msg85215 date=1073358536]
That would probably be on the Kelvin thermometer. wow, flashback from junior high chemistry
[/quote]

holy rusted metal, batman! 28 below absolute zero, that's fricking ridiculous.

haha, y'all have a good one,

jonathan

[quote author=3_puppies link=board=1;threadid=9694;start=msg85215#msg85215 date=1073358536]
[/quote]

You learned about Kelvin in Jr High? Hell, I just barely heard of it last year in my college freshman Chem class... :eek: And I was 4.0 student in Jr high and graduated HS with a 3.6 so it's not like I wasn't paying attention...

As for temps, it's forecast to be -10 F here tonite :eek: so I'm hearin' ya on the cold. Hopefully my rig even starts tomorrow...it's been pretty rough startin' since it's started to get cold...

-Ferg-

Actually, if I remember correctly, 0 degrees Kelvin is where all atomic motion stops, and therefore true zero, and the lowest possible temperature possible. On the flip side, the highest temperature possible is unknown, and presumed not finite (infinite). Freezing, or 0 Celsius is 273 degrees Kelvin, if I remember correctly as well. (K=C+273) also (F=1.8C+32) for Farenheit,...(C=(F-32)/1.8)
-28F=-33C=240K

Some heard about it. Some learned about it. Not the same thing, eh Willsta2000? ;)

Its -5F here in Denver. Brrrrr. I was thinking about the tranny warm up/transfer in neutral thing. In the tranny, the counter shaft is spinning all the time, isn't it? So its working the oil whenever the engine is running. Its the the output shaft that's not rotating when the tranny is in neutral. So putting the transfer in neutral and the tranny in gear will spin some gears in the transfer and warm it up a bit, but the tranny shouldn't matter as long as you're not holding the clutch down. Right?

Yup :D

It was -23F here last night. My son and 2 of his partners SLEPT ON THE SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN last night. Hiked up on the ridge, built a fire and a windbreak, and spent the night under the stars. I'd say they have brass balls but they aren't frozen so must be some new kind of synthetic. Call me old fashioned, but those guys do me proud.

Oh, and it's 273.15. Come on willsta, getchur faks strate :D

60 wag, I think you're right. Last night I put a quart of 15-40w in the cruiser, I had to squeeze the jug to speed it up, otherwise I'd been there all night (yes, way to heavy for these temps) if motor oil is that heavy then the gear lube in the x-fer case must have the consistancy of lard. Did the N-in gear thing this morning and didn't hear any funny noises, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Sound's like a good idea to me. I"ve got one of those magnetic heaters from the same people that make the block heaters and I throw it on the rear dif as well. I think it was below 0 in ID this morning and I also threw a battery charger on it too. 'Course my alternator quit yesterday and I drove home without the heater on, but it sure did start a lot easier than it normally does... if it would only fit in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom