Any way to identify which OME springs were used? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While this is my first post, I've lurked in this forum for years, trying to absorb as much information as possible. Attached is an image of our 1997 80 Series. It has the factory lockers and was well loved by a friend of mine as the previous owner. Since the factory suspension was sagging, he installed an OME suspension on it. However, we're trying to identify which springs were used. It certainly sits higher than stock, but that's all I can tell. Are there any marking on the springs I can use to identify which ones were used? I want to make sure we have the correct caster bushings in the front end, but I can't really do that until I identify which springs we have installed. Thanks and looking forward to hearing some advice!

Cruiser (2).jpg

You can also get a castor reading at an alignment shop (usually free if just a sweep with no adj) see where you are at and what you need to get to the 2-4* suggested castor.

Unfortunately, no. The installer must have removed the tags on the springs so I have no idea what they are. However, I did take some measurements though. The previous owner thought he added stock replacement springs, but I don't think so. I measured from the center of the hub to the fender flare and I got these measurements Fr: (23"), Rr (23 7/8"). So, I'm not sure if that's the 2.5"lift or 3.5" lift.

Here's my dilemna. I really don't need the lift...or at least this high. Rather than spend a bunch of money trying to get the acceleration "grrrr" to go away, what if I just bought a different set of springs to lower the truck back down closer to stock height? I'd be completely satisfied if it sat 1" taller than stock...and preferably level.

So...here are a few questions.

1.) Could I replace the springs to get a max of 1' of lift and take away all of the issues that cause potential driveline vibrations? If so, which ones?
2.) If I replaced the springs, canI keep the same OME shocks on?
3.) I can see the OME caster bushings in the front end. Do you think I can get away with keeping those in or would i be better off going back to stock?

I appreciate everyone's help!

If I were in your shoes, I would get a set of OME 851/852 springs. These are their "stock height" replacement springs, but most people report they provide about 1" of lift. Dobinsons also makes a similar spring. You should be able to run them with the OME shocks as long as they are not "L" shocks. If the shocks wear out or if you want to soften the ride a bit, the stock toyota/tokico shocks also work well with these springs (and are cheap and widely available).

As for the caster correction bushings, I would just drive it and see. If it drives fine without any drivetrain noise or vibration, leave it the way it is. If you still have noise/vibration, then replace with stock bushings. The stock bushings are a much better quality and your yellow OME bushings will eventually wear out anyway.

But you also have to keep in mind your drivetrain grrr could just be due to wear and not related to the lift at all. Unfortunately a lot of us have to muddle through a few changes before we pinpoint the problem. Grrr can be caused by old u-joints or even the slip yoke in the driveshaft (usually only occurring at high mileage).

Interesting development. I was able to acquire the factory springs that were originally on this LC80. I pulled the OME's off, and put the stockers back on. I left the OME shocks on and the caster correction blocks. After a test drive, I'm blown away. It drives like a different vehicle and the Grrrr went away. So...here's my new dilema. Should I go with the OME 851/852 springs which would give me just a bit over stock height, or can I utilize a spring spacer? I'm also still up in the air whether I leave these OME shocks on, or get a stock height replacement.

If you like the way it rides and handles, then keep the factory springs. The OME springs will ride stiffer, but be better suited for carrying weight.

Yes a 1" spring spacer would work fine for dialing in the ride height the way you like it.

I'm not sure the compressed length of the OME shocks vs. factory shocks, but I bet it's somewhere in the suspension sticky thread. As long as the OME shocks don't bottom out, you can leave them in. Bottoming out the shocks before you hit the bumpstops will kill your shocks in short order.

Should I go with the OME 851/852 springs which would give me just a bit over stock height, or can I utilize a spring spacer? I'm also still up in the air whether I leave these OME shocks on, or get a stock height replacement.

the spring spacers are a good cost effective way to add some height to the truck, i ran them with the stock springs for years and they did their job. i have the 851/852 with the spacers and i like that combo but i also dont mind a stiffer ride and usually the truck is pretty loaded up. for me it handles way better with the stiffer springs over the stock springs

Interesting development. I was able to acquire the factory springs that were originally on this LC80. I pulled the OME's off, and put the stockers back on. I left the OME shocks on and the caster correction blocks. After a test drive, I'm blown away. It drives like a different vehicle and the Grrrr went away. So...here's my new dilema. Should I go with the OME 851/852 springs which would give me just a bit over stock height, or can I utilize a spring spacer? I'm also still up in the air whether I leave these OME shocks on, or get a stock height replacement.

I have the 851/852 springs and like them. They gave me about 1" over my old stock springs and work well with 285 tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom