Any Vise Collectors Here? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0867.jpg

I wanted to share this with you guys in case it would benefit you. I had a growing pile of vises that I haven't gotten to and some that are done with nowhere to display them. I got these shelves on Amazon for about $100. They can hold 400lbs per shelf. they aren't perfect but plenty sturdy with this number of vises on it. I had a bit of a difficult time finding anything that could hold much weight in a 36" width. For the money these are pretty good. I had the option of solid shelves or the wire. I went with wire thinking they would get less damaged, and it'd be better to let the handles hang through. The jury is still out on that decision.

I've had those shelves. They did great. I decked mine with 1/4 plywood and it held a lot of iron. Great looking collection. PROPER!

I had a very nice 3” Wilton fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. It was “frozen” closed. Didn’t look like it was too rusty but wouldn’t budge. Soaked it for a week in Simple Green and then used acetone/atf to get it free. Cleaned and painted it up. THEN… won a Pow-R-Arm 301 on EBay ( @Mr Wonderful )!!!!

Made custom mounting plates for the arm and base. This is the big arm that hold 70# so this 25# vise shouldn’t be an issue. Anyway… the results!

IMG_3950.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3952.jpeg

I had a very nice 3” Wilton fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. It was “frozen” closed. Didn’t look like it was too rusty but wouldn’t budge. Soaked it for a week in Simple Green and then used acetone/atf to get it free. Cleaned and painted it up. THEN… won a Pow-R-Arm 301 on EBay ( @Mr Wonderful )!!!!

Made custom mounting plates for the arm and base. This is the big arm that hold 70# so this 25# vise shouldn’t be an issue. Anyway… the results!

View attachment 3393962

View attachment 3393963

View attachment 3393964

View attachment 3393965
Nice! I’ve got an 8300 that I’ve considered putting on my hydraulic pow-r-arm. Can you show some close ups of the mount you put it on???

IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
713071316.jpg
713071357.jpg
prentiss 75 catalog.jpg

I started work on what has to be the most bombed out Prentiss vise on the internet. I bought this mess for a measly $25. It's 6-1/2" jaws and 150Lbs. This one is a pretty rare. A Prentiss 75 rapid transit vise. It has a lever under the dynamic jaw that disengages the drive nut. This model was last produced in 1922. It had been attempted by someone in the past to be welded with nickel rod. The penetration was minimal on the biggest crack. The broken-out section inside the static tower is a ramp like section for the spindle. I have a plan for reattaching the piece. Honestly that section looks like rotted wood. It was a very porous casting with a couple voids in there. I removed the bolted-on brace and tower came apart in two pieces. I used a propane burner for a turkey fryer to preheat the halves. As I was setting up my oxy-propane rig to get ready for brazing I noticed my oxygen tank was way low. I wound up using nomacast rods with my arc welder. I've arc welded one vise before with good results. I moved around welding in short lengths and peened as much as possible after each set. As soon as I was done I buried the whole thing in a fill dirt pile and waited until that evening to remove it. It's all in one piece now. I ran the dynamic through, and it actually slides really nice. I know this vise will never be close to 100% but from what I've seen there is only one other know example over on the garage journal. I'll get some better pictures as this continues.

@Mr Wonderful Crazy to see a bombed Prentiss with an unbroken slide! I've said it before that Prentisses are some of the most attractively "designed" castings. Shame that their qualty control never came close to its intent. These are some of the most fragile vises out there. Makes the really good ones worth quite a bit (for collectors - not use). Super cool find. Didn't know Prentiss made a rapid.

Just a project update. Seems Reeds have been falling out of trees as of late. Got a big logo 106 and 105 and a 100 year old Patent Reed (1920).

Found a MOTIVATED buyer for my Wilton 800. Couldn’t turn that money down. Two weeks later, I found a new in box Wilton C3. Guy I bought it from took it in trade for electrical work and had no need of it (just wanted cash). I was happy to oblige!

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

IMG_4102.jpeg

Did the C3 come with the copper jaw liners or were those from your stash? I really like the green on those Reeds.

@MrMikeyG I had the covers rattling around in my stash. I painted it fresh out of the box as I am not a fan of the newest shade of gray. The green is the Behr satin "Black Evergreen"

I have a few old vises, But they are still in use. This old Reed No. 34, built sometime in the '30's is on my welding bench. It came with my dad's Richfield service station he bought in 1953 after service in the Korean War. I grew up in that station and have been beating on that vise since I was a kid. It is heavy, about 170 lbs. Now that I see restoring vises is a thing, I guess I will be giving that No. 34 a facelift. I will still be beating on it though. The little vise on top is a Piramiit used by jewelers and gunsmiths. My brother got it from an old gunsmith in the late '70's. I don't use this one.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

I tried to find info on the little Piramiit. Not much out there, but from I have seen they come up for sale every few years. There is one for sale on eBay for $699. A few years ago one sold for nearly $900 on a collector's auction site, but it was like new and in it's original box. I put mine up for auction on eBay starting at $399. They appear to be the same as the Pyramid vise. I found one reference show that Piramiit is Turkish for the cap stone on top of a Pyramid. Pyramids don't come up very often either.

Since you have Reed vises, do you know where I may find pipe jaws for that old Reed No. 34? I do not remember mine ever having more that 1.

BTW, I am new to IH8MUD and have a '67 FJ 40 father/son project in my shop.

I don't unless there's someone selling parts on Ebay but they can be hard to come by. There are guys out there that can make jaws/pipe jaws so that could be an option.

If you are on facebook at all there's a big page that those guys frequent

I don't unless there's someone selling parts on Ebay but they can be hard to come by. There are guys out there that can make jaws/pipe jaws so that could be an option.

If you are on facebook at all there's a big page that those guys frequent
I set up a facebook account when it was a new thing, but resisted ever using it. Get emails telling me about people leaving me messages and so on. Guess I'm going to have to get into it. I'll try to find the page regarding vises. Thanks for the info.

@remwines Its weird how many combination vises are missing the pipe jaws. My understanding is the new Yost pipe jaws are close enough to alter and work. Here is my old service station Reed 34 (also missing pipe jaws)…
IMG_9106.jpeg

…and welcome to the forum!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom