Any Vise Collectors Here? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Antique C.E. SHIELDS Vintage Blacksmith Anvil Bench Vise Combo 380A..
Worth $175? I like the dual purpose.

B73800E6-57D7-4DE7-9AA6-EBDA61EBF0E7.jpeg

Antique C.E. SHIELDS Vintage Blacksmith Anvil Bench Vise Combo 380A..
Worth $175? I like the dual purpose.

View attachment 3216110
I've seen a few of those "farm vises" on another forum. They don't seem to be particularly stout or desirable among the collectors. That one looks to be in very nice shape. In my area depending on how big that is, I'd say $175 is a little high.

I've seen a few of those "farm vises" on another forum. They don't seem to be particularly stout or desirable among the collectors. That one looks to be in very nice shape. In my area depending on how big that is, I'd say $175 is a little high.
Thanks for info. Did some more digging and agree high priced.

I won the local "Offerup underpriced vise" contest yesterday. A Prentiss 50 was listed for $30 and it looked to be in near perfect condition. It was about 50 miles away but I had the day off so I took a chance. I offered over the asking price and was the first to respond so we made the deal. He said he had seven other responses with some over asking price. Even said he had one from Kitsap @Mr Wonderful?

As a bonus, I was able to make two other deals in the area that I had been working but didn't want to drive that far for just those deals. It's nice when you can pro-rate the cost of gas over a few deals, makes it more tolerable.

As an extra bonus as I was driving from one stop to the next I saw some sockets in the road so I went around the block and picked up a set of 3/4 drive sockets that were scattered in the road. I was hoping for Snap-On but the only makings could find were "China".View attachment 3213147
Put a few hours into the Bulldog today.

784268A7-8779-48A5-B5AC-C83B7C6199A1.jpeg

I recently salvaged an old Athol vise from a mine, after missing out on a reed 209. I picked the vise up on day 2 of a camping/wheeling trip, then about 4 hours later ended up stuck in quicksand with the nearest tree about 300 yards away. Out came the shovel and the vise, buried it about 5' deep in the sand then out came the truck.

EAA8991C-750D-47F8-AA29-B6E82FFE3F71.jpeg

3E9F3436-BD42-454F-A103-CE75FC8F6FA5.jpeg

85512CFB-FA09-4C37-8FC9-18597230F159.jpeg

Good thinking! Also lucky to find such a nice vice at an abandoned mine!

Very nice Athol! It is a later transitional model just before the Starrett acquisition. Oof! Missing out on a 209 would legit make me cry!!!

I'm sorry for the photo dump, but not all in one spot. Here's a few of the smaller vises I did repaint, bought from an factory closing auction. Not sure what to do with them. I made new handles for some.

View attachment 2670867

Anybody have other type vises. Here's a Wilton wood vise and a Kurt machinist vise I rebuilt.

View attachment 2670870

How about a post vise, great for beating on. I sunk that pipe 4' in ground with cement inside it and all around it, not going anywhere.

View attachment 2670875

And another machinist vise I use on the drill press.

View attachment 2670876

I don't own any 8" vises, but someday I'll find one. That said, the most I paid for a vise was $125 for the 6" Reed. I paid $100 for both the Rigid vises and the table they're on. All the others were less.
That post vice is nice!

geez, 525 replies as of now... Who are all those crazy people who need more than on... errr.... 5 or 6 vises?
Kinda like the Coleman thing--one or two lamps will do fine for your camp,(Or your forge) but if you have the choice of 100 or so, it makes it more fun--It's all about bringing back to life the stuff that was made to last--like vices,saws,drill presses---and Toyotas---glad I found this category-

I picked these two up about 15 years ago from a, at the time mid 80 year old tool and die maker, selling off his equipment to retire. He rented a small part in our fabrication area, probably 1,500 square feet, of the 25,000 square foot building of the commercial, educational, and military audio/visual integration company I worked for. They were both sitting on a bottom shelf of many metal shelving units in his shop. I paid $30.00 for both vises, however due to my age and due to the "significance of the passage of time", I can't recall which one was the $20.00 vise. Anyway, I know what the Heinrich Grip Master 6SV drill press vise is, and is there any way to date this vise, as they have been in production for many years. However, what the heck did the Rock Island vise look like in it's original form, before the surgery and modification. Any guess as to why the mod was done? Maybe to add swivel base? I appreciate any information, as I been searching off and on for years to determine what this Rock Island looked like originally. By the way, it has five inch jaws, weighs in at 131 pounds, and has a working opening of around ten inches.

20220317_210434.jpg

20220316_135340.jpg

20220316_135519.jpg

Well that's something different! Very cool. Rock Islands are some of the "densest" vises out there. Very solid and heavy vises.

I picked these two up about 15 years ago from a, at the time mid 80 year old tool and die maker, selling off his equipment to retire. He rented a small part in our fabrication area, probably 1,500 square feet, of the 25,000 square foot building of the commercial, educational, and military audio/visual integration company I worked for. They were both sitting on a bottom shelf of many metal shelving units in his shop. I paid $30.00 for both vises, however due to my age and due to the "significance of the passage of time", I can't recall which one was the $20.00 vise. Anyway, I know what the Heinrich Grip Master 6SV drill press vise is, and is there any way to date this vise, as they have been in production for many years. However, what the heck did the Rock Island vise look like in it's original form, before the surgery and modification. Any guess as to why the mod was done? Maybe to add swivel base? I appreciate any information, as I been searching off and on for years to determine what this Rock Island looked like originally. By the way, it has five inch jaws, weighs in at 131 pounds, and has a working opening of around ten inches.
First time I've seen a Rock Island like that one. A little searching shows it's an Rock Island automatic swivel vise. Yours has been modified, probably to eliminate the automatic rotation.

Some info on Garage Journal. Here is a google search that has a link to a nice one on ebay.

Tom and Farman I really appreciate you guys filling in some of the blanks in this mystery, with the information provided. Farman, my vice looks more like one on the link Tom sent. It looks like the automatic swivel base with self-adjusting jaws. The specs on my vise, as shown above, are very close to their number 23. Now it's the ID's on the vise and the base that are in question. They don't jive with any model number listed. There is also a number cast into the rear of the slide that appears to be a 23. Weird that someone for some reason would eliminate the engineered self locking feature of this vise and replace it with drilled and tapped hole in the side and a bolt as a swivel lock. Again, thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom