Any Vise Collectors Here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that press meant for a specific part, or would there be dies for different jobs? really cool stuff. On one hand, I'm lucky that the upper west coast isn't really a "flea market" area. When I finally get a shop space, I will have to drive farther to fill it with stuff which makes it easier to resist.

Is that press meant for a specific part, or would there be dies for different jobs? really cool stuff. On one hand, I'm lucky that the upper west coast isn't really a "flea market" area. When I finally get a shop space, I will have to drive farther to fill it with stuff which makes it easier to resist.
There are differing dies. The limiting factor here it there is a maximum of 6" of travel. With a specific die, probably less. It is good for fast repetitive presses.

Check this MONSTER out! This was at the guys place in Austin. 12” leg vise clocking in at just under 600 pounds!!!!!

C032110A-EE42-4E34-83FC-3867A875978D.jpeg

52512B67-9FBC-49CC-BFBD-DA634E568226.jpeg

^impressive! If it were a good friend, there would be room for some good jokes, but won't go there... :)

On a more technical side, I have always been a bit wondering about those leg vises in that it seems like the moving jaw face would not stay vertical when opening up if it's a single pivot point. But maybe not a problem with old days smiths work.

That is a monster. Post vises intrigue me as well.

The largest leg vise I heard of or saw was 8" and they are SUPER rare! 12" is just BANANAS!

Next project. Full run of Prentiss “double swivel” vises. From #18 (2.5”) through #23 (7” and 215 pounds). None of these are newer than 1920.

9B8264C7-5854-4EC5-9004-593F71D872C7.jpeg

BD6D482F-A123-483A-B692-7FA7948ABF86.jpeg

750F0742-7AE6-4719-8158-C86CE24A532F.jpeg

wow, that is quite the collection. The font on that casting in that last pic is so early 20th, I picture Sears catalogs and the like, very nice.

I do have a fairly big old Prentiss too, although not quite 200 lbs. Chunky and very solid looking. Except it has smallish jaws. Seems a bit out of proportion, unfortunately. Same thing with my Wilton bullet. Seems common with vises. What's with that...?

wow, that is quite the collection. The font on that casting in that last pic is so early 20th, I picture Sears catalogs and the like, very nice.

I do have a fairly big old Prentiss too, although not quite 200 lbs. Chunky and very solid looking. Except it has smallish jaws. Seems a bit out of proportion, unfortunately. Same thing with my Wilton bullet. Seems common with vises. What's with that...?
It was probably that in older vises, anything over 5" is somewhat rare. They were certainly overbuilt for jaw size (compared) to modern vises that value jaw width above "heft". You can find 8" modern vises all day long that are 60-80 pounds where as a vintage vise that size is 200 pounds MINIMUM.

The "graffiti" text Prentisses are from 1905 to around 1918 and are a favorite of collectors for the cool factor. I have 3 of those and 4 of the VERY early (pre 1900) ones that had top text only near the swivel pin (nothing on the sides). I especially dig the little spring plunger base swivel locks!

It is true, of course, that if you can get enough pressure, you can hold big things with small jaws and that may even be advantageous depending on the shape of the object, so I don't really have a problem with smaller jaws from a practical perspective, but they do look a bit off from an esthetic one.

Finally found me a “baby” bullet! 2” jaws and 5 pounds. Mounted on a Pow-R-Arm with 2” copper soft jaws! So happy right now!!!

3EA03BEC-A622-449A-8D57-10148EBE9331.jpeg

D7585669-D964-4992-857B-17060106F0DB.jpeg

dang, I want one of those! No need for it really, but just gotta to have one, not up for discussion... Never seen one locally, though.

Yeah. That little guy is awesome!

@e9999 No one "needs" one of these really. I suppose jewelers maybe. Been looking for a while. They are shockingly expensive. I say that because I spent a HUGE sum for my 243 pound 800S and paid 68% of that for this 5 pound beauty. I shudder to compute the cost per pound!

I wasn't even going to ask. Bullet vises seem to be in the $400-500 "asking price" range when I see them listed out here, I was imagining the baby version fetching all of that and maybe some extra on top.

@Skniper Well I “found it” like this. The 2” copper soft jaws are SUPER scarce. It had been gently stripped so I went ahead and painted it to match my 800S. It is a really well cared for tool for being 55 years old.

@MrMikeyG Yes, I feel I got a great deal with the Wilton PowRarm and the soft jaws for $575. The 800 was over a grand BUT… it was a dream vise for me AND… when I saw the ad, it was just over 30 minutes old and I was third in line at $1000!!! Other two couldn’t get cash on a Sunday or were 400 miles away. Seller lived 6 minutes from me and I had cash in hand. Both of these vises will be passed to my son and his sons. Much as I hope my 40 will be!

A336E51B-0D62-48D6-9861-34B8A8AB92D5.jpeg

0A0617AE-6EB1-477D-8045-4F1E16DAC7A7.jpeg

07B9862D-A651-4944-8A05-028621844BD2.jpeg

Yes, I feel I got a great deal with the Wilton PowRarm and the soft jaws for $575.

I agree, seen them go for a lot more for just the vise.

Lots of interesating stuff at the auction this month including a few Wilton vises, couple post vises, some stake plates, and a lot of other stuff. Unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately) I doubt any of it will find its way to my garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom