Any Vise Collectors Here? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Skniper Your Reed is a "pre R" series that they began manufacturing after the war (1943 actually) so yours certainly predates that. Reed date stamps are famously hard to find. The 270 is definitely not a date stamp. 7/26 is much more believable.

Just noticed we are both in Houston!

@Skniper Your Reed is a "pre R" series that they began manufacturing after the war (1943 actually) so yours certainly predates that. Reed date stamps are famously hard to find. The 270 is definitely not a date stamp. 7/26 is much more believable.

Just noticed we are both in Houston!
Yessir, h town. Good info on the Reed, thanks. I’ll shoot a couple pics this weekend showing where a part is missing, maybe you guys can help me out.

@FARMAN33 @scrapdaddy Got the slide removed from the Reed 103 1/2. There’s definitely some sort of retainer sleeve/set screw that’s missing. The vice clamps just fine but the screw won’t back the jaw out, has to be pulled back manually. Makes it tedious when trying to adjust things.

Any idea what exactly goes in here ?

89B33D04-9134-4F42-95D7-999C93252CCE.jpeg

15DAD2B6-3281-432E-B5B7-8A251688F3E5.jpeg

9CEE5F66-8AE5-44A7-BC11-A7235A863425.jpeg

@Skniper Yes. This is the older style Reed that used a shaft collar (1/2" wide ring with a set screw through it) to keep the dynamic moving when backing out. After the 40s, they started to use a split nut between the "meatball" and main screw.

That collar would take a proper machinist about 5 minutes to make, but that ain't me. I'll start looking for some type of collar that might fit and can be drilled/tapped.

I can't find any photos on the web so far that show a break down of this particular vise and part. Need to join Garage Journal too.

Well that was easy!!

Thanks to @FARMAN33 for the lead on these machined collars (Amazon) to make the old Reed 103 1/2 completely functional again.

Perfect match on the collar’s inner 3/4” and outer 1 1/4” diameters. The chamfered edge of the collar even matches the recess in the dynamic jaw, although I may add a washer in between the two to act as a bushing.

Shiny bit on 90 year old rust:

F13B5540-39AA-4D0F-ABC4-B8F592BCCC22.jpeg

Needed a little flat file work on the worn spindle set screw hole:

255BA77C-E4C4-4199-AC4B-C31FB3C5B209.jpeg

Perfect fit:

BB1DC0DA-860F-49E1-AE81-A7D97A4C0CE7.jpeg

242A5846-457D-43D7-8075-86E45D116330.jpeg

“Dynamic” again:

3DD4512E-BD7A-4451-AECD-636CFFF858BD.jpeg

nothing worse than having a set screw on a shaft without the recess. Recipe for headaches. So, good for you!

I picked up a Columbian 605-M2 today. It's pretty beastly. It's newer, so the lettering and stuff isn't as "cool" as it is on the antiques, but it operates smoothly, the knurling on the jaws is in really good shape, the jaws close square to each other. the levers(bars) on the swivel locks are bent to sheet, but that's a fairly easy fix. It was at a local architectural salvage place for $185. I happened to have store credit though, so out into the truck for $120.

I also have the 5" version of this little guy;

I'd be really curious if any of you have seen one of these, or have one. Mine is missing a spring and/or a couple of other pieces that enable that quick release feature. I was able to find the patent, but I really doubt the exact mechanism from the patent made it into production in the 1950's. I would love to see the "guts" of one.

The Columbian 605 is one of my favorites. I have a newer Reed 4C-A that is a rebadged Columbian 206 (combination series). My absolute favorite vise! Columbians have such clean lines (similar to Steretts) and their ductile composition makes them legitimate “lifetime” vises.

2BA51CDE-B341-49CA-8837-4AF2EFB2EB84.jpeg

5653719F-D270-4DEC-A2F3-B2AD5E9A98F7.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always liked the old stuff too. I don't really have a decent place to mount the 605, but when I do, I already have the vise. I'm also intrigued by the Emmert vises I've seen, they all seem to pack extra movements and features. I've yet to see one in person though, just internet. The Hand Tool Rescue "fractal vise" restore is pretty awesome, I think @e9999 posted another thread regarding that one. Very cool item, and I assume pretty rare.

I am partial to the natural metal look for vises myself, over paint. I have done that with some of my tools and some vises. Wirebrushing to bare metal and then either oiling or in some cases some clear coat (but the latter one may chip, or get easily scratched sometime).

I lean towards that aesthetic myself to a point. if the item was painted when new, I see no problem re painting. I don't really agree with the really old patina stuff being painted though. it is such a nice look to get the thing clean and maybe put a light "shine" on the stamping or lettering to offset against the rest of the darker patina that old Iron can have. I have on older rusty Proto spud handle 1/2" ratchet that was black oxide when new. Since its not rare, I've been thinking of doing gun blue on that guy.

I'll also throw in a positive review for Evaporust. Yes, it's all over the youtubes these days in the restoration crowd, but it works really well. I've previously used Citric acid powder/water and have had good results with a very low $ outlay, but wanted to try some other stuff. To me, one would need two of the exact same rusty item to do a proper head to head comparison and so far I haven't seen one. If you have a walmart nearby, I think they have the best price.

The first vise I bought that got me on this collecting/hoarding path was a Columbian 606 that was in very good shape. At the time I thought it was too big for my small garage so I flipped it. Wish I still had that one.

20180316_144307.jpg

@TomH that is beautiful! Funny, I picked up a 506 today. It’s an older Triangle C logo. Also picked up an 8” FPU (Polish) milling vise and a 2Ton Famco kick press. Nice little trip to Austin paid off!!!

B56D87B6-041E-4961-8303-072AD8CA86C1.jpeg

9563F71E-7A84-42B2-9AF2-3849A732C429.jpeg

43C56A41-E92A-4260-B0BD-90F86C7F4B6A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom