Any Vise Collectors Here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was a Reed 4C that made me decide to stick to smaller vises.
That's no lie! The 260 pound 108 will most likely be the end of me (or my back).

Ok, here's my collection of stuff. Let me say first mine are working girls, so there are a few photos and not much pretty paint. First the bench vises..

This is my 6" Reed and a 5" Monarch with some plastic jaw protectors for tubing.

IMG_4185.JPG

On the other end of the bench are two Ridgid 6" vises that have smooth brass jaws, these are great for work you don't want any marks in.

IMG_4186.JPG

On other benches around the shop I have a couple of 5" Columbian vises.

IMG_4187.JPG

This one could use a make over, it's a tad rusty with brass jaw protectors.

IMG_4188.JPG

The basement shop has a few, also. This one a 4" Reed.

IMG_4184.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the photo dump, but not all in one spot. Here's a few of the smaller vises I did repaint, bought from an factory closing auction. Not sure what to do with them. I made new handles for some.

IMG_4183.JPG

Anybody have other type vises. Here's a Wilton wood vise and a Kurt machinist vise I rebuilt.

IMG_4182.JPG

How about a post vise, great for beating on. I sunk that pipe 4' in ground with cement inside it and all around it, not going anywhere.

IMG_2382.JPG

And another machinist vise I use on the drill press.

IMG_4190.JPG

I don't own any 8" vises, but someday I'll find one. That said, the most I paid for a vise was $125 for the 6" Reed. I paid $100 for both the Rigid vises and the table they're on. All the others were less.

@scrapdaddy Hell yeah!!! I love Colombians. I found a minty 205 that I gave to my father in law. Would love to find an 8". I like your Parker too. Did you make the spindle keeper for that too?

Did you make the spindle keeper for that too?

No, that's stock. :) I feel bad not using those, but I ran out of benches. That small Reed to the left of the Parker is like brand new, I think they forgot about in the old factory it came out of.

@scrapdaddy I thought the keepers all said Parker across them. I have a Reed made Craftsman from 1944 that looks like it led an easy life too.

91457AD9-830E-439C-A49E-D789D7F9CC4D.jpeg

46E454B1-806B-4C69-B2F8-7C33A0837ADB.jpeg

AA795454-C328-47C7-B810-8CA6FF9EEFBE.jpeg

Let me go look.

EDIT... nothing on the keeper. No. on the side 973 1/2 Pat.1930

We'll have to do some investigating. Who knows what happened to it before I got it out of that factory.

Last edited:
Those Bullets have just such a nice retro look. A mix of Art Deco and 50s Jet era.

@TomH I see you have a 3D printer. You have to make you a “baby bullet”!!!

AE6574EF-A11D-4CA2-AC67-F7EB5DDE3513.jpeg

@TomH I see you have a 3D printer. You have to make you a “baby bullet”!!!

That's pretty cool. I got my 3d printer operator on it already.

The 3D printer was why I had to remodel the bench. My son had been bugging me for one for a while so I figured it would be something to keep him busy.

Hey, I'm looking to purchase a bench vise for general use in my new shop. willing to purchase 1 here if you have any extra or doubles. I see lots of diff. Vises for sale for various amounts of money. Thanks for the advise.
Mike

@mmcinnis I just sold most of my collection. If you are looking for a good bench vise, just scour Craigslist and FB Marketplace. Reed, Wilton, Parker, Colombian, Athol, Morgan and Hollands are the best American vises. 5-6" are the best sizes for most uses. Be prepared to spend 300-400 for a GOOD vise and it will last long enough to pass down to your kids kids! For larger vises (8"), anything under $800 is a STEAL. My Wilton 800 was listed for $1000. The ad was 23 minutes old and I was third in line. If you find something and want an outsider opinion, feel free to message me. Good luck hunting!

I agree, There's a guy selling several good 5"-6" vises out of St. Louis and they're all $300 to 400. All of mine were bought at auctions, highest was $125. Someday I'll find a 8" Reed in a barn for cheap. :)

@Skniper It is! They are such "sturdy" tools (not unlike our Cruisers), it is fascinating to wonder all the things they have held in the 80-100 years since they were made. Again, like our Cruisers... "the stories they could tell!"

@Skniper It is! They are such "sturdy" tools (not unlike our Cruisers), it is fascinating to wonder all the things they have held in the 80-100 years since they were made. Again, like our Cruisers... "the stories they could tell!"

I‘ve been searching the web on vises a bit tonight. Looks like most are date stamped...on mine the “270”( feb. ‘70 ?) is very visible but noticed a fainter “726” (july’26 ?) also. This thing seems a lot older than 1970.

Its also missing a set screw/ring on the center screw body. Any websites you know of to find specific pieces and info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom