Any Tricks to Installing Body Side Door Hinge Mounts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mainly, the upper driver side one. They have the rattle trap threaded keeper in there and it is totally blind. To say nothing of the wiring harness and everything else crammed up there. Why would anyone remove this PITA?

I had the cluster out last week and did not seem to make access much easier.

I've used a ratchet wrench. It only makes about an 8th of a turn but keep at it and you'll get it tight eventually.

I had my daughter point a flashlight through the crotch cooler while I used a small screwdriver to lift up on the nut plate (match up the holes). Once I had 2 bolts started by hand it was easy.

Oh yeah, I did it with the hinge pin out...just the body side of the hinge. Once I had all of the bolts started, I hung the door with the pins, moved the door into place and snugged it all down.

If you take out the instrument cluster it will give you a lot more room to get in there too.

I did the same with my cruiser. The driver's side was easy with the cluster out. I'm still trying to get the last bolt in on the other side. One of these days, I'll hold my mouth just right, the stars will align and it'll pop in on the first try.

I had my daughter point a flashlight through the crotch cooler while I used a small screwdriver to lift up on the nut plate (match up the holes). Once I had 2 bolts started by hand it was easy.

Oh yeah, I did it with the hinge pin out...just the body side of the hinge. Once I had all of the bolts started, I hung the door with the pins, moved the door into place and snugged it all down.

Worse case I just had to use a little longer bolt. Press it so the plate is against the back use it like a lever to lift it so it straight and thread it in. After the others were started I removed the longer one and replaced with the original.

I did the same with my cruiser. The driver's side was easy with the cluster out. I'm still trying to get the last bolt in on the other side. One of these days, I'll hold my mouth just right, the stars will align and it'll pop in on the first try.

I've had good luck using a offset box end wrench. Pretty long which gives good leverage to break it loose. I also have some cheap Harbor Freight off set ratchet wrenches. In the end it's been having a large selection of wrenches and sockets. What worked for one bolt doesn't always work for the next one. The passenger's side with the fixed piece of metal in the way is harder then the other side with the speedometer cluster removed.

Done! Thanks for the helpful advice. It no longer sounds like I am smuggling tons of castanets in my dash. I used a smaller bolt to line up the plates and with tremendous patience... success. I too had to say F-it on the top bolt on passenger side.

If I remember right, when I was adjusting my passenger door on my 1970 there was a space inside the glove box. Basically a slot between the outside wall of the glovebox and dash that I could access that top bolt on the passenger side. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom