any idea on the removal of this thing on my press? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Fellas,

I'd like to install this machine thumb knob (Machined Thumb Knob For Hydraulic Bottle Jacks) on the 20T hyd press bottle jack but for the life of can't figure out an elegant way to remove the pin that's on the twisty deal. I've tried tapping on it with a brass hammer but she ain't budging. This is not a tension spring but a solid pin. I suppose these twisty valve deals are universal and I can grab another one from another bottle jack, maybe?

20171103_102126.jpg

20171103_083144.jpg

I’m going to guess it was put in place and then “squeezed” to expand it to keep it in place. I’d cut it off and replace it.

The way I would approach this is decide which end is narrower. I would put a vise grip on the other side as tight as possible. Not sideways but straight on. First would see if I could get it spin. If you can it will come off. Regardless would file the other side down. Trying to press or hammer it out it will just expand the pin. Instead use a screwdriver as a lever between the vise grip and post.

I’m going to guess it was put in place and then “squeezed” to expand it to keep it in place. I’d cut it off and replace it.

Cut off what, exactly? Cut off the pin? If that's the case, how do I remove the piece that's stuck inside the turny thing? I guess I can call that a valve. If I unscrew the valve all the way out, would oil come out of that hole?

The pin is cylindrical and it's swaged. You have to cut off one side (or both) and drill out the remainder; it should be soft (that is, not hardened). This will also resize the hole.

The screw is the valve operator. There should be a clip on the back side to prevent you from doing this; unless it's cheap, and then you probably will be able to unscrew it. Yes, hydraulic fluid will come out, under pressure (the weight of the piston) unless you lock the piston in the extended position. Then it'll still come out, but not as forcefully.

If your goal is to install the handknob, I'd recommend slotting it down to the cross drilled holes. That's a much simpler operation and you won't risk damaging the jack.

The pin is cylindrical and it's swaged. You have to cut off one side (or both) and drill out the remainder; it should be soft (that is, not hardened). This will also resize the hole.

The screw is the valve operator. There should be a clip on the back side to prevent you from doing this; unless it's cheap, and then you probably will be able to unscrew it. Yes, hydraulic fluid will come out, under pressure (the weight of the piston) unless you lock the piston in the extended position. Then it'll still come out, but not as forcefully.

If your goal is to install the handknob, I'd recommend slotting it down to the cross drilled holes. That's a much simpler operation and you won't risk damaging the jack.

Ok, that's an interesting thought about the slotting. Let me go look at that possibility. Thanks.

Does it hurt when you pull on that chain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom