Any heard of “A rusted development” shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is the guy who supposedly rebuilt the engine you have now which is coming apart?
I wouldn't have anything to do with a mechanic suggested by the previous owner if you're needing to do a swap because the engine that said mechanic worked on has problems...

Owner before him
@seths Strongly considering the 3Fe route... been researching it on mud. it’s a matter of finding a shop or dare I say taking it on myself With a buddy (I’m no mechanic but am crafty).

@seths Strongly considering the 3Fe route... been researching it on mud. it’s a matter of finding a shop or dare I say taking it on myself With a buddy (I’m no mechanic but am crafty).
Open to other opinions and options with cruiser engines. Figured out what I’m really looking for is what is still a cruiser engine but has more behind it. Not sure which would be the easiest to swap @Seth S i remember you mentioned a couple others

Open to other opinions and options with cruiser engines. Figured out what I’m really looking for is what is still a cruiser engine but has more behind it. Not sure which would be the easiest to swap @Seth S i remember you mentioned a couple others
The cheapest and easiest thing you can do is fine a good used 2F engine and swap that in. Likely the smallest hit on your wallet and the least amount of time off the road. if you could find a 3FE and the harness and computer etc it would be the 2nd easiest way to go....but the 3FE is a different engine than the 2F....it benefits from much improved intake and exhaust manifold designs as well as fuel injection. However it drives differently than the 2F and power and torque are different.

the option I was suggesting was the 2FE....basically its the bottom end (block, pistons, rods etc) of the 2F and the top end (head, manifolds, efi etc) from the 3FE. The people who have done this always seem to say that this is the engine these machines should have gotten from Toyota. Its a bit of work but its all toyota parts and will still bolt up to a stock 4 or 5 speed with readily available parts that you likely have.

some research

I’m personally considering a 3fe swap if it turns out my 2f bottom end isn’t a “simple” fix. For me the 3fe would work well as I mostly cruise around and take non technical road trips.

Last edited:
We’re working on one of these right now (in a 45) using the FJ Co bellhousing. It’s still a lot of work (it’s an engine swap after all), but should be a fun option over going to the dark side and yield a nice boost in power from the 2F.

With an aftermarket computer (pretty much required unless you find a manual ECM or a carb manifold), it should be 2UZ-ish in power.

I'm also surprised the 1FZ hasn't been more popular. Turbo it and you have a good combination of power with reliability, all while keeping it Toyota.

I’m personally considering a 3fe swap if it turns out my 2f bottom end isn’t a “simple” fix. For me the 3fe would work well as I mostly cruise around and take non technical road trips.
I'm also surprised the 1FZ hasn't been more popular. Turbo it and you have a good combination of power with reliability, all while keeping it Toyota.
Is 1FZ more straightforward than 2uz swap? Guy at the shop thinks 2uz would be a good conversion on the 60. Weighing options though, gunna keep looking at threads

Is 1FZ more straightforward than 2uz swap? Guy at the shop thinks 2uz would be a good conversion on the 60. Weighing options though, gunna keep looking at threads
Also anyone have a pulse on the 2F market and what a good price would be for one And it’s tranny that needs a rebuild (239k miles). Looking to sell mine as I plan the swap next week

Just by posts ive read on mud I’d say the 1fz is easier.

Just by posts ive read on mud I’d say the 1fz is easier.

I think a 1FZ/A442 would be easier than a 2UZ. I really like the 2UZ in my 100, but still want a turbo 1FZ in either an 80 or 62.

I think a 1FZ/A442 would be easier than a 2UZ. I really like the 2UZ in my 100, but still want a turbo 1FZ in either an 80 or 62.
For sure if you drop in the transmission it comes mated to in the USA. A bit harder and more costly if you want a manual trans.

For sure if you drop in the transmission it comes mated to in the USA. A bit harder and more costly if you want a manual trans.
Would 1FZ be easier for manual?

Would 1FZ be easier for manual?
It's a similar situation. Neither the 1UZ nor the 1FZ came with a manual transmission in the US. It takes some knowledge of the Toyota parts system to put together all the parts from Toyota (some are probably discontinued). FJ Company makes a bellhousing to mate a H series to the 1FZ. Dellow in Australia makes a 1UZ to H series transmission bellhousing. There are probably more options that I am not aware of, but the lack of a manual offering in the US is the achilles heel for those swaps.

Reviving a bit of an old thread, I've known Jake at A Rusted Development for close to 15 years and he's top notch, his shop is fantastic. Curious which direction you ended up going. I have a really clean vortec swap but Denver is actively trying to get our trucks and swaps off the road. Be sure you live in a state that's semi-sane.

Reviving a bit of an old thread, I've known Jake at A Rusted Development for close to 15 years and he's top notch, his shop is fantastic. Curious which direction you ended up going. I have a really clean vortec swap but Denver is actively trying to get our trucks and swaps off the road. Be sure you live in a state that's semi-sane.
Went for a rebuild with a different shop that was going to "charge me less" but they weren't a cruiser shop. They were a major let down and shipped it up to my after a year and a half of waiting and decided to do it myself. Long story short Im about 5ish hours of work away from being ready to fire up been two years of growth needless today.

We'll see how I like the rebuild, I'm in at least 10 grand with all the lost parts shipping the truck twice, and that's with ME doing a lot of the work (although inefficiently)

All said and done wouldn't trade this experience for anything, as I bought the truck to work on it, that's why I didn't end up swapping it. I wanted to keep it the way Toyota made it too.

TLDR Can't speak to the A Rusted Development, they wanted to charge me 18 grand when i called them two years ago.

Dan

Why not go coil pack 1FZ and H151? 😁🤙

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom