Any experience with Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig is very heavy, F and R metal bumpers winch tire and jerrycan slides 160Lb water 80Lb gas and moor.
4" lift 285/75R16 and will go to 315/75R16

i found this as a direct fit bolt on

fox.jpg

any experience with this socks? any insight?

TNX

@Desert Dino there are lots of guys on here that run these, myself included. I would say for a 2.0 budget shock they do as well as can be expected and quite a bit better than the OME stuff I have run. I was actually surprised at how well they did in Canyonlands last year on the long straight stretches of desert road. They will soak up decent straight line hits. The shortcomings of the shock is in long stretches of rock garden. Once you have overheated them they will have a difficult time stopping the natural rolling action of the rig as it comes down off of rocks. Otherwise, like I said before, for a budget 2.0 they are probably one of the best.

@Desert Dino there are lots of guys on here that run these, myself included. I would say for a 2.0 budget shock they do as well as can be expected and quite a bit better than the OME stuff I have run. I was actually surprised at how well they did in Canyonlands last year on the long straight stretches of desert road. They will soak up decent straight line hits. The shortcomings of the shock is in long stretches of rock garden. Once you have overheated them they will have a difficult time stopping the natural rolling action of the rig as it comes down off of rocks. Otherwise, like I said before, for a budget 2.0 they are probably one of the best.

@half k cruiser did you custom valved it or used the default factory valving?

Search. There are several threads about them on here.

I ran them for ~2.5 years and really liked the ride quality but didn't like that the passenger front shock blew out twice. It failed after about 30k miles/18 months, rebuilt the fronts and it happened again in another 9 months.

I have these shocks. I love them I’ve had them for almost 20,000 miles. I’m about to lift my cruiser more and I am going to buy the longer ones since I only go the 1-2inch ones. I have them right now with OME coils and I really like the ride. But I’m going to 4inch lift with Dobinson coils

My rig is very heavy

How heavy is very heavy? I ran 2.0 with remote resi's (RR's) at ~ GVW for 80k km's with no issues. They took a beating. You will definitely need RR's with "Desert" in your name haha. If your 80 is over GVW, - you could look at 2.5's with the larger stem diameter (stronger) and more oil volume (cooler) if you plan on wheeling much.

DSMS will need exact front and rear weights to custom valve. They also include one free re-valve. Doesn't really help much in Israel, but I never needed to as they were bang-on the first time.

Much softer ride than OME. I have them in the rear paired with TJM 50mm progressive springs (which are on the soft side). Still have the OME shocks in front because they weren't blown yet. This combo yields a little too much slop/body roll, IMO. But I'm going to replace all my suspension bushings (most are visibly shot) before I pass judgment on the shocks.

My rig is very much on the light side for this forum (no back seats, no bumpers/sliders, etc.. probably a little lighter than stock). But when I do load it up, the ride improves a lot, which has been the case with every cruiser I've driven :meh:

Last edited:
If your rig is heavy then stay away from fox shocks, they are too soft and will blow out rather quickly. Fox is only good for very light rigs, they are more like OEM replacement but supports lift. When my LX was light it rode like a Lexus! Sadly my LX gained so much weight even with OME heavies springs the fox shocks are simply too soft.

If you are under budget and very heavy then stay with OME, or you can try tough dog shocks that are adjustable. But can’t go wrong with OME for heavy rigs, that’s what they are designed for.

Last edited:
I have the Fox shocks for my cruiser. I lifted it 2.5 inches, and I'm very unhappy with my Fox shocks. I actually just ordered replacements. I have less than 30K miles on them and the rear ones are completely blown. You can hear that just my springs are doing all the work in the back. They were never taken off road so this really shouldn't have been an issue. I also don't have any extra weight in the back. I don't have the third row installed, no aftermarket back bumper, and yet less than 30K miles and the shocks are completely blown. I would stay away.

I have Fox 2.0’s on my truck. 4” lift with OME 051/052 springs. (Heavy front/extra heavy rear). I have bumpers, sliders, dual battery, carry a 37” spare, 20 gallons water, 10 gallons extra fuel, extra drive shaft, birfs, bearing, tie rods, etc, cooler, food, tent, shade canopy, recovery gear, at least 50lbs of tools... I rock crawl, expo camp, drive fast (45-65 mph) down miles of desert wash board roads and haven’t had any issues with my shocks. :meh: YMMV

Seems like it really depends on the batch. I've also heard that many other people were having issues with the 2-2.5 inch shocks prematurely failing, so it might be an issue with this particular model. I agree YMMV, but there are many options out there that this isn't an issue.

I had them, I liked them, but 3/4 leaked oil within a couple years. Rather than rebuild I switched to an ICON stage 1 setup which I like much better, but then I changed the springs at the same time as well so I can't attribute how much was shocks vs. springs vs. a properly paired setup.

I had them, I liked them, but 3/4 leaked oil within a couple years. Rather than rebuild I switched to an ICON stage 1 setup which I like much better, but then I changed the springs at the same time as well so I can't attribute how much was shocks vs. springs vs. a properly paired setup.

I just ordered the ICON stage 1 shocks, so I'll let you know how it goes!

No I was not

I have Fox 2.0’s on my truck. 4” lift with OME 051/052 springs. (Heavy front/extra heavy rear). I have bumpers, sliders, dual battery, carry a 37” spare, 20 gallons water, 10 gallons extra fuel, extra drive shaft, birfs, bearing, tie rods, etc, cooler, food, tent, shade canopy, recovery gear, at least 50lbs of tools... I rock crawl, expo camp, drive fast (45-65 mph) down miles of desert wash board roads and haven’t had any issues with my shocks. :meh: YMMV

:clap::clap::clap::pig::pig::pig::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2::bounce2:

@IanB and @Rea1994 -
Were either of you running boots on the blown shocks?
I do run shock boots on both the front and rear shocks. Not the over priced guards that Fox will try and sell you, the cheap ProComp universal ones. I also to not have any fender skirts on the passenger front wheel well.

I had them on for 8 months. I have lots of armor and wheel hard. I had two shocks fail in 8 months. That being said they gave me a nice ride on and offroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom