Any Aussies who have replaced their NAV/Climate control with aftermarket options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought me a JDM 04 LC 100 and now that I have it in Canada, looking for something to replace the integrated head unit with something more modern. Been following the massive thread for the Tesla style PX6 option but almost all are NA or Euro with LHD vehicles, so I don't know if there is much info for RHD JDM.

I did purchase one from an Alibaba vendor, recommended from an acquaintance who installed one in his 06 JDM Toyota Crown but it didn't work. Even though I asked to purchase a PX6 it turned out to be something else called a Sofia? but same idea. Anyway, after a couple weeks of communicating with the vendor, attempting to install it, unzipping and installing multiple files, changing settings, unplugging/replugging harnesses, there was no sound and climate control partially worked. The no sound I could live with for a while, but we are in the middle of winter and no heat is a no go. I gave up and have started the return process.

I would still like something more modern that will allow me to use the climate control and entertainment (don't' really care about navigation). Google has not been successful, and I don't know if JDM cars work with the NA options. Couple of emails sent to Phoenix and GROM but am waiting on responses from them still.

Saw another thread about the TEYES unit (I think that was name?) and again, not sure if JDM compatible and a lot of OEM parts purchasing as well.

Figured the Aussies might have some insight into what they have done to replace the OEM head units and their replacements would be RHD compatible and in English. Tried searching for Aussie specific forums to not much success. Anyone have any recommendations or an Australia based vendor who might work?

Bought me a JDM 04 LC 100 and now that I have it in Canada, looking for something to replace the integrated head unit with something more modern. Been following the massive thread for the Tesla style PX6 option but almost all are NA or Euro with LHD vehicles, so I don't know if there is much info for RHD JDM.

I did purchase one from an Alibaba vendor, recommended from an acquaintance who installed one in his 06 JDM Toyota Crown but it didn't work. Even though I asked to purchase a PX6 it turned out to be something else called a Sofia? but same idea. Anyway, after a couple weeks of communicating with the vendor, attempting to install it, unzipping and installing multiple files, changing settings, unplugging/replugging harnesses, there was no sound and climate control partially worked. The no sound I could live with for a while, but we are in the middle of winter and no heat is a no go. I gave up and have started the return process.

I would still like something more modern that will allow me to use the climate control and entertainment (don't' really care about navigation). Google has not been successful, and I don't know if JDM cars work with the NA options. Couple of emails sent to Phoenix and GROM but am waiting on responses from them still.

Saw another thread about the TEYES unit (I think that was name?) and again, not sure if JDM compatible and a lot of OEM parts purchasing as well.

Figured the Aussies might have some insight into what they have done to replace the OEM head units and their replacements would be RHD compatible and in English. Tried searching for Aussie specific forums to not much success. Anyone have any recommendations or an Australia based vendor who might work?
The T’EYES is made in Australia, so I think it’s intended to work with your model. Now, I there is a whole thread about how it only works on some trucks and years. Pretty sure 2004 is just fine. Search for “help with android head unit” I think.

The GROM is great, I have it. Doesn’t require messing with your head unit too much while still enabling CarPlay behind the Disc button.

You can also look into the post 03+ nav delete which is documented here. Not sure how the parts differ for a JDM model so not sure if those threads will work for you, but it’s worth a look. More work but this would open your options for more after market head units.

Hoping some owners down under can chime in, though!

2004 LCs have issues with the Teyes units. LXs seem fine. Don't know if there's any difference between NA spec and other models.

Damnit...I knew these factory Toyota head units were a pain to deal with before I bought the vehicle. I will try hitting up some local stereo shops and see if they have any suggestions too. Maybe, I just have to go with a tablet mounted on the dash and some bluetooth speaker(s) for sound.

Damnit...I knew these factory Toyota head units were a pain to deal with before I bought the vehicle. I will try hitting up some local stereo shops and see if they have any suggestions too. Maybe, I just have to go with a tablet mounted on the dash and some bluetooth speaker(s) for sound.
They’re hard to deal with but everybody here has dealt with the head unit. There is a couple guys here who did a tablet adjacent to the head unit but to me that seems more complicated.

The Bluetooth adapter BT45-TOY is very simple to use with your phone or tablet. I have an install thread in my sig.

Lots of threads on upgrading your speakers for better sound.

It sounds like you want CarPlay so give the grom VLine a try. All of the options I’ve mentioned are MUCH easier than that Phoenix model you tried earlier.

Thanks Redbeard. Yeah, i will wait to hear back from GROM before I give up and I will also look at that BT45 link. THat sounds promising too.

The T'eyes CC3 is made in China, however they have a rep (Dan) who's active with support and based here in Oz.

As noted above, it works in LXs, with some hissing issues in some LCs.

Anyhoo - all 100 LCs in Australia (including top spec Sahara) had a wide (200mm) double din audio, with separate climate. I installed an Atoto A8 in mine, which worked really well.

Other Chinadroids like Pumpkin have Toyota plug n play solutions.

Waiting for my Teyes CC3 to arrive any day now. It’s going in a UK spec 1HD-FTE VX, will report back. I know that the factory reverse camera is an issue - it’s 6 volts not 12, so have got a little in-line transformer to try sort that out…

Waiting for my Teyes CC3 to arrive any day now. It’s going in a UK spec 1HD-FTE VX, will report back. I know that the factory reverse camera is an issue - it’s 6 volts not 12, so have got a little in-line transformer to try sort that out…
Interesting. That’s what model my LC is too son fingers crossed.

Hi RR, sounds like you have a very similar situation to me in the UK. I have a Late ‘03 LC100 with Nav screen that needs upgrading.
I’ve done a fair bit of research and personally don’t trust the Tesla style units. The GROM units are an option but aware that there are some compromises- essentially the biggest advantage and disadvantage IMO is that it uses the original Toyota nav screen.

I’ve ended up buying a Toyota LC100 rotary switch climate control from a lower spec LC100 (sold in the Middle East and Australia FYI) and an aftermarket headunit with factory Toyota double DIN trim surround. The plan is make a link harness between the Toyota electrical connectors, to have a tidy conversion that can be put back to stock if needed.

The rear camera would be nice to keep, however it’s no good in the dark (and 6V) so I’ll be swapping it for a new HD IR unit.

P.S. Calgary is a wonderful place but I can’t imagine not having the car heating work! It’s -1 DegC here in the UK with a dusting of snow and that’s cold enough for me, but that’s nothing like the weather you guys get!..

Manual rotary climate control switches with aftermarket head unit

AA597856-976D-4884-86EC-66FE403393D3.jpeg

Manual rotary climate control switches with aftermarket head unit

View attachment 3190911
How much of a headache was it to get the manual switches setup: plug and play or were you splicing? How did you mount the aftermarket screen?

I pulled the dash apart one more time and installed it again last week after talking to the vendor and still couldn't get it to work so I have packaged it up and it is going back. Yeah, Calgary winters can be brutal and heat and defrost is necessary...oh yeah, and a block heater is a nice to have...that is an entirely different thread of issues that I have gone through.

Still haven't heard back from GROM or Phoenix this week so I will give them a few more days before I hit them up again.

The picture above is an Aussie pic that I found online when I was researching, I haven’t done the mods yet. (Sorry I wanted to add that to my first post but couldn’t see how to edit it)

I’ve been waiting for the parts to arrive but have now got them and unboxed them today. Before I ordered them I told the seller that I was doing a conversion and that I needed the wiring pigtails.

This is what I’ve received which looks promising:

The plan is to use the pigtails to make a plug and play female to male interconnecting wiring harness to connect the factory car harness to this heater panel. The panel doesn’t have a button for heated mirrors, so if the rest of it all works I’ll have to find a workaround for that.

2DCAC975-F95E-470F-9112-9F73166F981D.jpeg

6C0D2211-CB42-4EFA-9D51-9595643B4F8A.jpeg

I’ve made a start, but getting the Teyes unit wired is proving ‘tricky’…. Will update once figured out

The picture above is an Aussie pic that I found online when I was researching, I haven’t done the mods yet. (Sorry I wanted to add that to my first post but couldn’t see how to edit it)

I’ve been waiting for the parts to arrive but have now got them and unboxed them today. Before I ordered them I told the seller that I was doing a conversion and that I needed the wiring pigtails.

This is what I’ve received which looks promising:

The plan is to use the pigtails to make a plug and play female to male interconnecting wiring harness to connect the factory car harness to this heater panel. The panel doesn’t have a button for heated mirrors, so if the rest of it all works I’ll have to find a workaround for that.

View attachment 3193315

View attachment 3193316
This is exactly what I want- any more details, links, part numbers, etc.
Thanks

Thanks, yes, have done and we're chatting 😀

This is exactly what I want- any more details, links, part numbers, etc.
Thanks
In a few weeks time I’m planning to create a thread detailing everything if/when it’s all working ok. At the moment there are a lots of dead ends, difficulty sourcing parts, things to confirm etc etc. Even simply things like wire spec is proving problematic.

Harness space behind the new head unit is very limited, so even when the link harness is made it might not fit without some mods

I’ve done a test fit on the stereo itself though which looks promising, but will need double DIN to Toyota headunit infill pieces.

In case you’re wondering, on the climate control there are actual push switches behind the cover blanks, for heated mirrors and rear heater

58F949EA-AC8B-4210-A5F8-5A33A2A2CB4B.jpeg

5590E57D-F00B-42F7-84B4-4100A5A274E6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom