Anti-Theft Solutions and Brainstorming (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

in addition to making it hard for a theft that would need a tool and draw attention to themselves...

put a hidden toggle switch on the 12V signal lead that goes to the coil.

This would require taking the top piece of the dash off and taking the loom apart.

A local guy had his 60 stolen two days ago and I FOUND IT last night. Truck and owner are now reunited, thief (who was likely in the crummy motel where the truck was parked) was not caught - cops didn't have much interested in finding them. So when I saw this thread today I thought I better read it....

I plan on doing a kill switch in a hidden and locked place. But as with all wiring, if you know where to look you can ALWAYS short wires together. I leave my t-case in neutral and the choke pushed in overnight - lots of car thieves around here are 18-20yo and I'm hoping they don't understand how to get a truck with old tech running.

I know these are only deterrents. I like the club idea because it's visually apparent. How hard is this fuel delivery locking idea with a manual fuel pump?

As far as the whole "thieves won't carry an angle grinder" thing .... the catalytic converter theft data here in Denver disagrees with that. These guys are absolutely carrying loud cutting tools and give zero f___s about making noise. If they decide to take a vehicle instead of a cat, they can just as easily cut stuff apart. I guess it's all about stacking layers of deterrence then, huh?

Last edited:
One more thing. A problem with counter-measuring theft is the documentation of ideas online. If a thief is determined all they have to do is GTS!
Be careful with your ideas, this includes me.

I have to agree now with @CruiserTrash about the tools. Here in BC catalytic converters are
being stolen in broad daylight. Local women chased and videoed two assholes at 1 pm in front
of her house. Cordless Sawzall’s should almost require a license. I’m glad I don’t live in
big or little city.

One more thing. A problem with counter-measuring theft is the documentation of ideas online. If a thief is determined all they have to do is GTS!
Be careful with your ideas, this includes me.
I'll edit my post. I debated about whether or not to post the details.... probably shouldn't have.

I have to agree now with @CruiserTrash about the tools. Here in BC catalytic converters are
being stolen in broad daylight. Local women chased and videoed two assholes at 1 pm in front
of her house. Cordless Sawzall’s should almost require a license. I’m glad I don’t live in
big or little city.
I hear ya. I had two Ryder trucks with cats stolen in Bellingham, WA the day before I was to cross the border. It was a work event and I missed the crossing of 9a, got two new truck then crossed 4 hours later.

Find other security threads here:

thought I would share, Ive been using a DIY GPS tracker for some time, seems to be reliable. Costs about so far $1 a month for the hologram sim card I use.
you need to be familiar with the Arduino IDE to use this, Its like coding in C sorta.

Parts list / Resources

Amazon product ASIN B01H4ZLZLQ

Follow the tutorials given in the botletics page, he goes step by step on how to use this device. The shield is extremely versatile, you can program it to read SMS message commands meaning you can text your car to shut off if you're so inclined. I Use the adafruit dashboard for real-time and gps tracking history of my truck, its free and really easy to use. Im not using the LIPO batter as suggested in the tutorials rather im feeding the power from other ports on my Arduino mega.
I would only reccomend using a mega as the other Uno and nano seem to glitch out on me.

Any regular on the forum surely has seen the slight uprising in FJ60 Thefts. I wanted to start a thread for Ideas/Solutions that any at home mechanical newbie can do to prevent FJ60 theft. If the thief has a tow truck then your pretty much outta luck for most of these.

Please don't post tutorials on how you made your FJ60 theft proof. We don't want a how-to tutorial on how to steal our trucks out on the open web.

Don't share what theft devices you use, only suggestions and general information.​

1. The Basics - Steering Wheel / Brake locks.
These are probably the most user friendly locks one could get. Easy to use and cheap to buy at most auto parts stores.
Pros: Easy to use, Cheap to buy.
Cons: A thief can hacksaw these off, cut your steering wheel to get these off, Damage your car trying to get these off, And increased wear on the brake system if you use the brake system.

View attachment 2771508

2. Kill Switch
Probably one of the cheapest and most effective is the kill switch. The Idea of a kill switch is to disengage vital engine functions with a (You guessed it) switch. The kill switch should be in a hidden location and be kept a secret. I would give out more information on how to install a kill switch but that should be left off the internet. IMO, We don't want the dumb bad guys doing a simple google search on how to steal our tucks.

3. GPS / Fleet Trackers
Not all GPS products will prevent theft but you can possibly get your rig back afterwards! Alot of these GPS kits require a monthly subscription so they can be quite costly. I would avoid the trackers that plug into your OBD 2 outlet (If your rig has it) as they can be simply unplugged.
IF your thief gets your rig under a metal roof then the GPS might not even work but for the sake of argument lets pretend that car thiefs are all a buncha angry hobo's who don't have metal garages. I would link a GPS kit but there's just so many with so many different uses.

4. RFID Ignition
This solution requires 2 keys, It works much like a kill switch except its tied into your starting system. You must hold up the first key (RFID tag) to the antenna in which then you have a set time to turn the ignition on with your main vehicle key.
Even if a thief gets your main set of keys they wont be able to start your vehicle unless they know that they first must disengage the RFID starter lockout.

Below is a link to a kit which I have not tried but should work. You DONT want a push button RFID system, an FJ60 should never have a push button start.

These are just some basic ideas that are easy enough for most anyone to do. Nothing will deter a determined thief, but these can help stop the dumb ones.
There should also be a thread on how to remove these devices for those of us who live outside of the city. I don’t need or want any anti theft system in my FJ60. The problem is that it has one! And it’s working so well that I can’t start the rig, no matter what. Now I’m planning to go through the entire electrical system, one wire at a time, and try to circumvent the whole mess. I’ve never used the system once in the past 15 years that I’ve owned the vehicle. Now it’s on the blink, but I can’t drive the truck anymore.

There should also be a thread on how to remove these devices for those of us who live outside of the city. I don’t need or want any anti theft system in my FJ60. The problem is that it has one! And it’s working so well that I can’t start the rig, no matter what. Now I’m planning to go through the entire electrical system, one wire at a time, and try to circumvent the whole mess. I’ve never used the system once in the past 15 years that I’ve owned the vehicle. Now it’s on the blink, but I can’t drive the truck anymore.

Buy a new ignition switch to repair those wires, then find the brain box under the steering column somewhere and rip it out. Repair anything it was spliced into, probably lots of scotch locks.

Buy a new ignition switch to repair those wires, then find the brain box under the steering column somewhere and rip it out. Repair anything it was spliced into, probably lots of scotch locks.
I realized that I didn’t have the know how to trace all the wires, etc. to remove the system. So, since it has worked for 15 years pushing the little momentary switch button, I put in a brand new momentary switch, soldered the wires, hooked up the ground and it’s working perfectly now. I put in a new starter, and since the new switch is cheap and easy to install, I’m going to roll with it. I think I will get a couple more switches to be on the safe side.

For why?

Another solution I've seen is this:

While these aren't perfect, it will slow down/deter folks with a worn down Toyota key
I would like a push button start. I kind of have one already: turn the key, push the little red button by the fuse box, and it starts. I usually take the key out when I leave the vehicle however. There’s about ten old FJ60s in my town and most thieves would rather have a big truck than an old, slow Land Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom