Anti-theft ideas for FJ-40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best deterrent is (multiple) security devices and hopefully there is a car near by easier to steal than yours that they want.

Although a Doberman Pincher in the front seat would likely be the ultimate deterrent! :D

I'm thinking about valving the gas line inside a Tuffy console. It might run for a block or two.

Discreet switch inline with ignition switch

Cock yer wheel when parking so they can't tow it

I like the club cuz it makes a nice weapon

Will personally vouch for the eBay seller, but message him from eBay and explain you want the Mud discounted price.

Don't be surprised when it ships from Iran, either. It wasn't any big deal on any of the shipments I received, nor did Customs hand deliver.

Had a 2 wheel drive van stolen. They just backed tow truck hooks under rear end and drove away. Asked a detective later to see if anything I could have done. He said if you have to park where they could hook your rear end, turn front wheels and lock steering wheel with club etc. If they can lift the rear end and tow it, disabling ignition or locking tranny won't help.

I like to fill all the panels with fish oil as it stinks and not many can drive with out dry reaching.
Great stuff and its cheap.

I have a pice of lifting chain with heat srink on it and it goes through the stearing wheel and to the cluch pedel with a long series lockwood lock and the key end faces the floor and a valve on the fuel line under the seat . You have to cut the chain or the wheel and find the tap.
But it wont stop a towtruck.

I've seen people attach a bar from the clutch to the brake pedal, locks them together with a pad lock, so if you try to steal it, you slam on the brakes every time you shift. Won't stop a tow truck but I feel like thieves with wreckers are pretty uncommon...

Don't they make hydraulic line locks where you can step hard on the brakes and lock the lines so the fluid can't return, effectively locking the brakes "on" permanently? Seems to me that would fool most criminals for a while and foil most tow truck attempts. Alternatively you could put it on your clutch line and prevent the clutch from ever engaging.

I've seen people attach a bar from the clutch to the brake pedal, locks them together with a pad lock, so if you try to steal it, you slam on the brakes every time you shift. Won't stop a tow truck but I feel like thieves with wreckers are pretty uncommon...

Don't they make hydraulic line locks where you can step hard on the brakes and lock the lines so the fluid can't return, effectively locking the brakes "on" permanently? Seems to me that would fool most criminals for a while and foil most tow truck attempts. Alternatively you could put it on your clutch line and prevent the clutch from ever engaging.

I can drive a 40 without using the clutch... But, nothing will stop everyone. Line lock would help, and also be usefull offroad.

Try to park in a safe area, and hope there's a better mark than your 40... :hmm:

Just like special lug nuts to keep your tires... Had to take them off several times with no key... Easy! Still use them, because they deter some.

I'd not bother with a stock steering wheel lock, they can easily be broken! An alarmed club seems like a better option than a regular one... If you're in range to hear.

These are cool but I think a wee bit too high tech for a 40 series.
Kill switches & big locks may be more effective as this appears to primarily kill all electronics (more effective on something more modern).

http://www.ravelco.com/

Maybe I'll install one on my 80, I dunno. $500 doesn't seem that bad considering many rigs are pretty irreplaceable.

When parked in the boonies I put up a sign that says: I'm hunting with a scope, are you SURE I can't see you????

These are cool but I think a wee bit too high tech for a 40 series. Kill switches & big locks may be more effective as this appears to primarily kill all electronics (more effective on something more modern). http://www.ravelco.com/ Maybe I'll install one on my 80, I dunno. $500 doesn't seem that bad considering many rigs are pretty irreplaceable.

Looked into having one of these installed on our old '05 T4R. Pretty sweet setup.

-Daniel Kent

Looked into having one of these installed on our old '05 T4R. Pretty sweet setup.

-Daniel Kent

There is a dealer in Tucson & I'm going to give them a call about putting one in the 80. We want to drive the length of Baja & then come back through the mainland next year & it may be a good idea to beef up the anti-theft system.

There is a dealer in Tucson & I'm going to give them a call about putting one in the 80. We want to drive the length of Baja & then come back through the mainland next year & it may be a good idea to beef up the anti-theft system.

Better look into up-armoring your truck if your gonna drive through Mexico. I would seriously reconsider ANY travel through Mexico unless you're into combat adventure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom