ANOTHER TROOPY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would love to see some interior photos.

An aircon switch that is actually a dial.
IMG_4025.png

A Camry wheel and some buttons. (Lane assist! 🤯)
IMG_4026.png

A centre console that will hold your spare change as well as.....*session expired*
IMG_4027.png

And lastly, this. 😍
IMG_4022.png

All jokes aside, I love it and all of its quirks! It sure is basic, but it's super utilitarian and has a unique charm. Old looks, reliable function, I wouldn't change a thing! Wait...

Last edited:
Lane assist on my Cruiser is when the guy in the other lane blows his horn and gives you the finger. 😁

I love that the HVAC controls in a brand new Troopy are basically the same as the ones in my 1991 Prado, and not counting the AC control the same as the 1985 BJ73 I had. If it works, don't fix it!

Awesome rig. As with everything you have to prioritize what you really need. Track correction might not be as big a deal as some YouTubers make of it… especially if the budget is tight.

What’s with that indicator?! It’s massive… Doesn’t seem to be OEM. Who was the intended customer?

@janyyc …. “What’s with that indicator?! It’s massive… Doesn’t seem to be OEM. Who was the intended customer”?
————————————————————————————————————

Don’t know if it’s the result of some new law or if it’s regional but it’s indeed OEM. 😊

@janyyc …. “What’s with that indicator?! It’s massive… Doesn’t seem to be OEM. Who was the intended customer”?

Don’t know if it’s the result of some new law or if it’s regional but it’s indeed OEM. 😊
Believe it's because the GVM was increased to make it in the heavy truck category to skirt some collision laws in Oz.

In Australia the single cab LC79 variants are used quite heavily by mining operations and contractors that work for the mines. As in huge customer for toyota. The mining operations require 5 star saftey ratings on all light vehicles operating at mining sites. The vehicle saftey testing body in Australia and New Zealand (ANCAP) has brought in new saftey laws regarding side impact. The 79 could not achieve a 5 star rating under these new laws. Therefore Toyota's gone ahead and upgraded the suspension slightly and given it a bigger gvm effectively moving the LC79 from light into a medium class goods carrying vehicle saving it having to meet the new side impact laws. The downside to this is that toyota were required to fit a side indicator like so to meet other medium goods carrying vehicle requirements. Yes it's hideous 😆

In Australia the single cab LC79 variants are used quite heavily by mining operations and contractors that work for the mines. As in huge customer for toyota. The mining operations require 5 star saftey ratings on all light vehicles operating at mining sites. The vehicle saftey testing body in Australia and New Zealand (ANCAP) has brought in new saftey laws regarding side impact. The 79 could not achieve a 5 star rating under these new laws. Therefore Toyota's gone ahead and upgraded the suspension slightly and given it a bigger gvm effectively moving the LC79 from light into a medium class goods carrying vehicle saving it having to meet the new side impact laws. The downside to this is that toyota were required to fit a side indicator like so to meet other medium goods carrying vehicle requirements. Yes it's hideous 😆
Assuming the hole behind the light hasn’t been enlarged, perhaps retrofitting the smaller lens might be an option.
It is a little bit on the large side? 😁

Great insight! ‘Hideous’ is passionate 😂
All I knew was that in 2022, models post September had a GVM upgrade of 210kgs (3510kgs), lane assist, and a big indicator.

Lane assist I could take or leave, GVM I’m stoked on as staying under should be easier now, and the indicator…well, it’s a point of difference 😎

No need of a special license to drive a heavy truck with a GVM over 3.5T?

A little update from today:

- Went to a public weigh bridge. Full fuel, empty boot. 2500kgs, almost exactly. Got 1T to play with.
- Six 255/85r16 Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 and 16 x 7 Sunraysias have been ordered and will go on this week. The tyre man initially ordered 16 x 8 wheels but I asked for narrower ones, as this seems to be the general consensus for the better rim size on this tyre.

A virgin Troopy - Nice !!!! 🤢🤢🤢

Mine is a 2004 1HD FTE fitted with Alu-Innovation Pop Top - The owner of Alu-Innov is a personal friend, if you send me your details Ill pass it on.
When I bought mine it was fitted with the AluCab Hercules pop top - but I had it chopped off for 2 reasons -
1. It was just plain Fugly
2. The AluCab Hercules have a habit of separating from the truck body above the windscreen (mine did as well) I also know of a good number more.
I know Alu-Innov have installer agents in Sydney, Perth and Brissie - dont know about ACT
I run Radar Renegade MT's 285/75 x 16 on my Troopy and theres no rubbing - but I do find these to be a bit more noisier than BFG MT's

Check out my Troopy Build here Builds - A Re-Build of 2004 78 Series Troopy 1HD FTE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-re-build-of-2004-78-series-troopy-1hd-fte.1282392/

A virgin Troopy - Nice !!!! 🤢🤢🤢

Mine is a 2004 1HD FTE fitted with Alu-Innovation Pop Top - The owner of Alu-Innov is a personal friend, if you send me your details Ill pass it on.
When I bought mine it was fitted with the AluCab Hercules pop top - but I had it chopped off for 2 reasons -
1. It was just plain Fugly
2. The AluCab Hercules have a habit of separating from the truck body above the windscreen (mine did as well) I also know of a good number more.
I know Alu-Innov have installer agents in Sydney, Perth and Brissie - dont know about ACT
I run Radar Renegade MT's 285/75 x 16 on my Troopy and theres no rubbing - but I do find these to be a bit more noisier than BFG MT's

Check out my Troopy Build here Builds - A Re-Build of 2004 78 Series Troopy 1HD FTE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-re-build-of-2004-78-series-troopy-1hd-fte.1282392/

@tlc_4play do you know if there are any distributors of the Alu-Innovation pop top in the US? I've tried looking online, but haven't seen anything about US distribution or installation.

I am 5' 11" and fit comfortably in my mulgo top. I don't know if 6' 1" would put you into scrunched toe territory. I would reach out to Daniel at Expedition Centre for advice.

You could make an extension to the bed if you're up for some fab work and really want the mulgo top.

I am 5' 11" and fit comfortably in my mulgo top. I don't know if 6' 1" would put you into scrunched toe territory. I would reach out to Daniel at Expedition Centre for advice.

You could make an extension to the bed if you're up for some fab work and really want the mulgo top.
Thanks mate, paying him a visit on Monday to check ‘em out in person. Same with Alu-Cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom