Builds Another Ratty 40 series: Project Primer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those rims are the bees knees, too bad it looks like you are missing one. They take me back to 1985. Nice cruiser!

View attachment 1611131

I’ve got it still. It was flat, so my 60 donated the spare to get it into the trailer.

This will be getting a kick in the rear for the new year. Just ordered 5 gem steelies to mount a set of 31x10.5 Yokohama MT G003's on.

I need to start getting parts together for it now that my 60 is in ultimate drive across country mode.

If you get rid of your carb, let me know. Also, does the carb solenoid still have the wires uncut? I have extras but I like to hoard them. BYW, the existing carb is fine in my view— Mark or Jim can rebuild to spec.

My '69 was from a few months later - in August.

Nice rig - don't paint it.

If you get rid of your carb, let me know. Also, does the carb solenoid still have the wires uncut? I have extras but I like to hoard them. BYW, the existing carb is fine in my view— Mark or Jim can rebuild to spec.

I’ll likely send it to Jim soon. I thought about putting a trollhole from my 60 on it but I sold that. I’m going to leave this alone and keep it stock.

This is a near copy of what we have and pretty much how I’ll keave this one set up.

My '69 was from a few months later - in August.

Nice rig - don't paint it.

The queen says we can’t paint it. There are too many pretty ones out there.

Starting to actually work on this.

First thing is to spin the engine over. I’m going to fill the crank case up with diesel to get the gunk out of it and let it sit. I will not run it like this. I’ll drop the pan after that and clean it out.

Then find an ignition switch and run the wires back to it.

After that, get the battery back in it and see if the truck catches fire.

Soak the cylinders a lot more with some oil and then change the oil.

I’ll see if I can get it to turn over with all the ignition hooked up first.

I’m hoping the balancer will spin by hand, but I expect the worst.

EEEEABFC-3A3A-4ADF-B171-BCC99FBD5B0D.jpeg

5746B32B-BF1D-4CB2-B922-FF5ED5D416C5.jpeg

27096564-DFB8-4662-BC5D-0869EC9507DB.jpeg

45C59D56-7BD7-49F3-BC69-B71D07B27023.jpeg

Your truck reminds me of mine. My PO spray painted over the factory yellow, hopefully that's what your PO did. Several cans of easy off oven cleaner and scotch Brite pads did the trick for me. It's cheap and easy, I think worth a shot before you move to other more permanent solutions.

Your truck reminds me of mine. My PO spray painted over the factory yellow, hopefully that's what your PO did. Several cans of easy off oven cleaner and scotch Brite pads did the trick for me. It's cheap and easy, I think worth a shot before you move to other more permanent solutions.

That’s a really great option. I just want it to be mostly one color. The more roughness the better.

I'm envisioning the patina blue under the rattle can and it's glorious!

And what the heck, working on the engine before paint, blasphemy.

I'm envisioning the patina blue under the rattle can and it's glorious!

And what the heck, working on the engine before paint, blasphemy.

That’s primer. I’m pretty sure it was beige from what I can see.

Still exciting and easily rattle canned to all one color down the line.

Things are happening. I’m going to start working on it Sunday.

I’ve got a new oem fuel tank, an oil filter conversion adapter for a metal filter, a tune up kit, full radiator hoses and clamps, an oem nos fuel pump, valve cover gasket and other small things on the way.

Not ideal, but I snagged a set of 60 series wheels for it. I want 40 series Steelies for it, but that can wait for now. I’d like a 235/75-15 or a 30x9.5 in a MT. The Chunkier, the better.
Time to see if I can get the old F motor to work.

It’s home and the engine isn’t locked up.

Life is good.

6CC73D19-059C-4B97-A4C4-7C21E54AE8C2.jpeg

Moving on to the next phase: keep cleaning the oil pan with diesel flushes (just standing, won’t run it like this.)
And also hook up my cooling and fuel system. I’ve got all the parts on the way minus the fuel tank. Still shopping for that.

Very cool 40. Would love to see it once you get those wheels and tires on.

I bought the Cool Cruisers steel replica fuel tank when I redid my fuel system a few years ago. I have been impressed with the quality.

Very cool 40. Would love to see it once you get those wheels and tires on.

I bought the Cool Cruisers steel replica fuel tank when I redid my fuel system a few years ago. I have been impressed with the quality.

I’ve been trying to find a 77001-60012 for the early non emissions tank with no luck.

Its looking like I’ll give CCOT a call soon.

I degreased the heck out of it, and now I’m tearing down the accessory drive and water pump.

Everything is very crusty.

Lots of jumper wires, bypassed and hokey fixes. I need to get with @Coolerman and go ahead and take this harness out.

Looks like an old motor on the inside. No piles of crud, but certainly a little bit of build up.

74052DA0-6B92-4FBE-AFB0-C8E7A4322562.jpeg

Once it’s running, You could use half a quart of atf with fresh oil. Or prior to draining your oil, use a BG product called EPR. It’s a solvent that helps clean the engine out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom