Another knuckle shim question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
Got the right hand side apart, cleaned and starting to reassemble. I put the shims that were on top and bottom back where they were when I disassembled things and torqued the steering arm nuts and bottom bearing retainer nuts to 50 ft lb as in Coolerman's excellent write-up. I could tell by the feel that it was way to loose and got only about 2 lb on my fish scale. Did a little further reading and saw my FSM called for something I've forgotten up to 76 ft lb. I tightened all the nuts to 70 ft lb and got a little more but still only a little more than 3 lbs. Pulled everything apart to check shim thicknesses. I don't have a micrometer but used my dial caliper and measured the top total at about 0.060, made up of either 1 @0.020 and 1 at 0.040 or 3 at 0.020. The thick one looks like maybe 2 0.020 stuck together but I haven't been able to separate them. The bottom was 0.040 made up of 2 @ 0.020.

My rebuild kit (Cruiser Corps) has 8 "thin" at 0.008-0.010 (darn caliper!) and 8 "thick"at 0.019-0.020 shims. Do thicknesses of 0.010 and 0.020 sound pretty typical for a rebuild. That would be about 0.25 and 0.50 mm.

What do those with experience suggest I do to increase the pre-load? I'm thinking of reducing the top from 0.060 to 0.040 and the bottom from 0.040 to 0.020. Is this too much of a reduction? I'll be running 33" tires mostly off-road and I've heard I want around 10 lb of pre-load. Does that sound about right? I'm asking because it's a bitch getting the top arm and lower cap off after everything is assembled to change the shims. I've put in the new Koyo knuckle bearings.

I haven't driven the rig with the 33" tires but used to drive highway speeds of 55 - 60 with 31" with no wobbles or any shake. I wish now I would have measured the pre-load before I tore everything down. I was/am really surprised that the existing shims gave me only 3 lbs or so pre-load.

Options welcome!
Thanks,
Pete

Get or borrow the proper tool and it will tell you what you need to center the joint and achieve the proper preload. Guessing will get you nothing but greef.

Get or borrow the proper tool and it will tell you what you need to center the joint and achieve the proper preload. Guessing will get you nothing but greef.
If I remove the same thickness shims from the top and the bottom, won't things stay centered and won't the pre-load increase?

Any ideas on where or how to get the SST?

If I remove the same thickness shims from the top and the bottom, won't things stay centered and won't the pre-load increase?

Any ideas on where or how to get the SST?
Correct on the shim removal.

Correct on the shim removal.
Thanks flyfisher. I've seen other threads that say the bottom shims control centering and the top the pre-load. I can see the bottom controlling centering but it seems to me like both top and bottom would control pre-load. If centering is controlled by bottom shims then I should remove shims from top only to increase pre-load while not altering the centering?

Page 6-17 in the 75-83 FSM says

"if specified pull is not indicated, correct by varying the number of upper and lower adjusting shims by equal amounts."

$195 US Ouch.....

Anybody have a loan a tool program here?

I swapped knuckles so had to borrowed a tool and ended up ordering proper shims From Toyota as the ones in he rebuild kits didn’t offer me the thickness of shims I was after ,the Toyota shims are nice , used Marlins crawlers heavy duty seals. Also Correct preload and no leaks.
The tool isn’t as awesome as it makes it out to be
Still leaves room for error took me a ton of try’s with the tool to figure it
al out. I got a different shim thickness every time. Drove me crazy finally I got some consistent readings and went for it. ,, your idea should work fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom