Another F155 main bearing shim question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Finally getting around to prepping my f155 engine for reassembly after it sat for a couple of years in the work trailer. Just got around to test fitting some parts and plasti-gaging the crank with the new bearings. With the main bearing cap shims, the oil clearance is around .07mm, barely smooching the plasti-gage. without the shims it gets to .025mm. The Haynes manual calls for a spec between .035mm-.045mm, with a max of .1mm. I would like it to be tighter with shims, but that would mean either getting different bearings or having the crank ground to the next available undersize. This is my first engine rebuild so I most likely am overthinking the hell out of this, but now that I think about it, .07mm is probably fine, better a little looser than too tight and frying the bearings I figure. Just need some confirmation that I'm thinking on the right path before committing to throwing this engine together slightly outside of "normal" spec. Perfectionism is a bastard.

edit, I decided to test fit the crank with shims and see how it all fit together. Got all the bearings lathered in assembly lube and caps torqued to spec, and the crank is rather hard to turn, not too hard, but I wasn't able to budge the crank with my pinky finger and a 1/2" ratchet. I know rebuilt engines are supposed to be tight, but this is just with the main bearings on the crank. Took the caps back off and there is a small wear mark only on the side of the bearing, none on the "valley" of the bearing is how I'd call it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom