Builds Another FJ40 to FJ45ish Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will measure tomorrow night. Just so I know, are you trying to measure to drill new holes through an undrilled windshield frame?

Here are the measurements the best way I could figure to get them to you. The main hole for the shaft is a touch over 1/2 inch. I was reminded tonight that the wiper setup mounts into threaded inserts so you will have to add those. Hope this helps.

5F30BD0E-7E3A-4E77-A57A-991A983B1B07.jpeg

F4284064-7602-46E5-AA6A-6F8F4805263A.jpeg

F327C6BC-6E7A-4248-AC7B-8BD28ECEA6A6.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are the measurements the best way I could figure to get them to you. The main hole for the shaft is a touch over 1/2 inch. I was reminded tonight that the wiper setup mounts into threaded inserts so you will have to add those. Hope this helps.

View attachment 2327184

View attachment 2327186

View attachment 2327188
Many TNX for your help, I will lay it out and see where it takes me. I started this process with doing it with thinking I would use the original set up motors . It came with the old style two motor set up. To much work forming the cage around the two. With the stock 70 unite it was a bunch cleaner install, some work but with your input I think I will be able to pull this off, TNX again
Best Skip

All parts blasted and ready for reassembly/rebuild. This winch has seen little use but also apparently little care. Looks like it got rebuilt with a hammer at some point. Good lord. It’s 8k, period correct and usable so I’m going with it for now. Actually a pretty impressive gear train. Will see how it works in the end.

FCF210DA-932B-4A42-8ACB-80A822EB8AF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Rough cut winch plate. I still have to drill it, weld gussets, grind it, prime and paint, but the hard part is done. Fabricated this one out of 3/8 plate which is probably overkill but that’s what I wanted for this build. Nobody makes a mount for these old winches so you are on your own for that.

C83A9A90-7F0B-4CB8-9389-204C683BE523.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting closer. Still have to remove the factory bumper mounts, fabricate new mounts, and a little more welding and grinding before paint. Loving the rough stuff tow points even though they are weld on. I’ll weld externally and with a rosette weld from behind. Might cut a chain slot in the 3/8 plate too for versatility.

B03BC1C1-1A97-47B0-BCF4-A2BE89C742A5.jpeg

I think it will be pretty tight to be candid. I built it with the later cab so it has approximately 2 inches more legroom (in theory). The cage was a head scratcher. I wanted to X brace the rear hoop but it took too much room out of the already small cab. So, I just did a diagonal brace. I have a set of leather BMW seats that I hoped would work but they take up too much room. I will be ordering new seats from summit that are smaller all the way around. I still may have to go with a smaller steering wheel to make it comfortable but I installed power steering so it should work even if it isn't the cool original steering wheel. The bed should show up next week and once I get that figured out, painted and installed, I will focus on the seats again.

There is only so much room in a cab, something will have to give. Since it was impossible to X-brace my rear hoop in the early cab and have comfortable seating positions, I chose to have a straight horizontal bar instead.

I found this picture on FB that has a set of nice bucket seats installed. The seating position looks great!

w.jpg

Last edited:
looks great. My seats mount to the cage so I have to take a little different appoach. Thankfully I am 5'10". Might not be a possibility if I were taller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom