Builds Another FJ40 to FJ45ish Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Test fitting the Brazilian sheet metal and the corner close outs.

3FA91C88-AD88-498E-B38F-722584C40A31.jpeg

CD68C015-03E7-4010-A5A1-A9336F4E2F56.jpeg

B19D97DA-5B84-4611-8988-B49692FF5CFE.jpeg

I got the panels which included the lower and upper back wall and steel top from a company called Pacol. Here is their current website:
It did take 14 months or so from me paying them until I actually got the parts. As I recall they told me it would take 6 weeks or something along those lines. Many calls and emails from me with a lot of excuses. The body panels are clearly hand made and they do take some work to get them ready for paint. They can obviously get the body panels but it may take longer than you want. I guess it gave me time to rebuild axles, install power steering, engine, etc.

Had to modify this rib on the firewall to install the dual circuit brake booster. This one originally had single circuit drum brakes. I will be installing FJ60 disks up front and a set of 1984 Toyota celica front discs in the back. The discs are about half inch larger than the common Monte Carlo rear conversions and it lets me keep it all metric. The rear conversion however does require you to build your own brackets as I don’t know anyone who sells them.

C44C57F7-7D46-4FE6-8FBC-9BD5583F73FF.jpeg

Great question. No. I am using a different disc. I’ve had them so long I can’t recall what Toyota they came off. I will have to try to dig that info up so I don’t have to track it down later. They are already on the truck at this point so I know they fit. I will try to dig that info up and post it.

I got the panels which included the lower and upper back wall and steel top from a company called Pacol. Here is their current website:
It did take 14 months or so from me paying them until I actually got the parts. As I recall they told me it would take 6 weeks or something along those lines. Many calls and emails from me with a lot of excuses. The body panels are clearly hand made and they do take some work to get them ready for paint. They can obviously get the body panels but it may take longer than you want. I guess it gave me time to rebuild axles, install power steering, engine, etc.
I got a back like that, ya a bunch of excuses along with the quality I was not looking for. Many hours refitting welding to get it close, I suggest to potential buyers stay away unless you want to have a bunch of work ahead.

I can’t really disagree based on my experience but it’s been a few years so I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I do have a lot of hours into making those parts work for sure though.

To correct my error above, I should note that I used Celica calipers. Still digging to figure out what discs I used. Everything fits up nicely and works well.

Changed out the clutch while I had everything exposed. When I removed the old clutch it was clear there was life left in it but a new clutch seemed like cheap insurance and cruiser outfitters had all the parts in stock and ready to ship. They also built the diffs and supplied other parts for this build. Very happy with their service and knowledge for what it’s worth.

BC64EE05-2E7E-4DA3-854F-2D4BFBA27FF0.jpeg

DE1F226A-D42C-4EE7-9D06-17D695AC29FD.jpeg

93A0D3D4-84F2-4E7A-A090-C81F538B6EDA.jpeg

Some of you asked. Here is a little more on the Brazilian body panels and the shenanigans to get the Brazilian parts to fit. The interesting part was trying to get the top to fit since it wasn’t drilled to match the upper back wall which was drilled and threaded. The seller was no help so it was one of those make it up as you go specials. I used ball bearings to dimple the top once I got it aligned. Then drilled it. It ended up fitting quite well.

4B594BAA-240F-451A-9DC3-F29FF18E409D.jpeg

197EB1DA-A5F4-4292-9B0C-A80A3DBA1DDB.jpeg

E4E1CD05-4EDE-4F78-B889-BE145FB537C6.jpeg

Thanks for the kind comment. This truck is the result of OJT and working on junk since I was old enough to drive to keep those vehicles running. I still remember cleaning my plugs on a 74 CJ5 every Saturday as a 16 year old just to keep that darn thing running on all 8 cylinders (for another three days till the oil fouled them again). Im just happy to be able to work on something I don't have to drive to work tomorrow morning!

I do have to say that, despite the problems with the body panels, I am impressed with the skills of the people who fabricated them. These parts were all done by hand if I am looking at these panels correctly. If that is the case, the misfit should probably be excused since these folks are way more skilled than I have ever hoped to be. I can't explain the delay between payment and delivery but where else are we going to get these parts on 50+ year old trucks. Im not sure and of course the passage of time has dulled my annoyance with the late delivery. Im still excited by this build regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom