Anally retentive maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the years, I've done some interesting minor maintenance on the 80 that I thought I'd fess up on. To wit:

Every few times I wash the car, I also wipe the antenna clean and lightly oil it.
Removed and cleaned the contacts in the intermittent rear door switches (twice).
Removed aftermarket lights and cleaned film off inside of lenses.
Cleaned and greased moonroof tracks.
Cleaned and lightly greased window weather stripping to speed up windows.
Sanded and repainted alloy wheel caps.
Removed power driver's seat and cleaned/greased gear drive and mechanism.
Removed and repainted factory tow hitch.

One thing I cannot figure out is how to grease the door squeak that affects all four doors. The source is inside the door, not at the external hinges and I've tried shoving the straw of a lithium grease can in there to hit it, but it doesn't seem to last.

Any other OCD stuff from you guys?

IdahoDoug

Sounds like some good moves on your part. I especially like the driver seat motor cleanup and the window channel cleanup. Save you down the line for sure.

Let's see, Both consoles out to clean under them a couple times. Transmission shifter assembly out to replace the boot thru the floor (slight tear). Never re-use a wheel bearing. Front seats removed to clean under. I need to replace the seal where the steering column goes thru the toe panel. Didn't like the look of the Throtte cable casing, put in new cable.

Doug, I think the squeek is coming from the door-checks.

Dan.

Dan,

Yeah the squeak (at certain temps on certain days - very dry up here) is indeed those checks. But there's really no good way to get to them short of removing the door panels that I've found.

IdahoDoug

I installed a set of driving lights in the engine bay, one that points to the oil & transmission dipsticks, the other points to all of the belts. Preparing for the midnight engine repair I guess, it's kinda fun to check the oil at night.

I'll also confess to having the center console out and in the sink on occasion, along with the ash trays, cup holder... I installed some tow hooks on Saturday but of course had to clean and paint them first, was actually thinking of doing the same treatment to the receiver hitch.

and I've got the same door squeak- I've tried WD, PB, and lithium on separate occasions but it never lasts longer than a week or so. guess it's pretty dry in Colorado, too.

Pretty good idea I had for a customer with a 93 and the factory tow hitch was to take it to rhino lining and have them bead blast it and line the entire thing. they warranty the finish that way and ended up looking pretty good.
Dave

Hell, I am contemplating taking my 91 to my local Dupont coating sprayer and having my lower two tone sprayed in and having the whole top sprayed while I am at it! (color matched of course).

No more scratches, rust, etc...hehehe

Replaced all 5 rubber caps on the brake bleeders.

(We won't talk about the shrink wrap to prevent scratches on a particularly brushy wheeling trip.)
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom