Amsoil for Diff (front/rear) and transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like amsoil is recommending:
front/rear diff: (Severe gear 80w-90 or 75w-90 or 75w-110)
transfer case: (Manual Transmission and transaxle gear lube 75w-90)

Can i just use severe gear 75w-90 in the front/rear diff and the transfer case?
If so, why are they recommending other weights for the diff?
And why are the recommending manual trans/transaxle gear lube for the transfer case?

Final question, looks like amsoil recommends their red sig series multi vehicle atf fluid, has anyone tried drain and fills with this and what were your results?

It looks like amsoil is recommending:
front/rear diff: (Severe gear 80w-90 or 75w-90 or 75w-110)
transfer case: (Manual Transmission and transaxle gear lube 75w-90)

Can i just use severe gear 75w-90 in the front/rear diff and the transfer case?
If so, why are they recommending other weights for the diff?
And why are the recommending manual trans/transaxle gear lube for the transfer case?

Final question, looks like amsoil recommends their red sig series multi vehicle atf fluid, has anyone tried drain and fills with this and what were your results?
I can't really speak to the technical side of this but I can tell you that I use 75w90 gear oil in front, rear, and transfer case. That is what our owners manual ( 2002 land cruiser in my case ) has listed. I use the Lucas gear oil. Any name brand 75w-90 in all gear boxes will be fine.

A little hand fluid pump will help a lot for the front diff and transfer case to get the new oil up in there.

Last edited:
so the amsoil severe gear 75w/90 should be fine for the front diff/ rear diff/ and transfer case?

Has anyone tried their ATF? I wonder how well the 100series transmissions run with it.

I can't really speak to the technical side of this but I can tell you that I use 75w90 gear oil in front, rear, and transfer case. That is what our owners manual ( 2002 land cruiser in my case ) has listed. I use the Lucas gear oil. Any name brand 75w-90 in all gear boxes will be fine.

A little hand fluid pump will help a lot for the front diff and transfer case to get the new oil up in there.
such a hassle having to pump that little pump dozens and dozens of times though. Isn't there a little cordless drill-mounted attachment that can be used instead?

With the TC, there's actually enough room to get the bottle near verticle above the fill hole, just a little hard to squeeze, and worried a bit about the tubing shooting off in to the TC. For the front diff, I ran a longer piece of tubing up thru and above engine compartment to a bottle that a friend was holding, and let gravity do its work. Pierced a hole in the bottle so we didn't have to deal with blurp-blurp.

The severe gear comes in squeezable pouches too. They changed this a couple years ago.

Can anyone answer this below:

so the amsoil severe gear 75w/90 should be fine for the front diff/ rear diff/ and transfer case? (amsoil website is recomending transaxle/manual trans 75w/90 for the transfer case)

Has anyone tried their ATF? I wonder how well the 100series transmissions run with it.

can anyone answer the question above?
Yes it will be fine. As stated by @Mike NXP above, owners manual says 75-90 gear oil is good. For anecdotal evidence, I replaced front/rear diff and TC fluid all with amsoil 75-90 severe gear oil a month or so ago and it's running great. Super smooth. Took a nice trip up to the mountains last weekend and did some trails as well, all good

The severe gear comes in squeezable pouches too. They changed this a couple years ago.

Can anyone answer this below:

so the amsoil severe gear 75w/90 should be fine for the front diff/ rear diff/ and transfer case? (amsoil website is recomending transaxle/manual trans 75w/90 for the transfer case)

YES... the Amsoil Severe Gear oils are fine for the Diffs & T-case...

And the Amsoil Synthetic ATF (Blue Cap) work great in the LX (5-spd) Trans.
Been running this combo for over 10 yrs in my LX, and still runs and shifts perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom