Builds Amateur Franken40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trimmed the rockers up to the jamb. Have a plan, will be easier to show once done. A pillars will need patching at the bottoms. Considering removing the entire kick vent panels to make it easier to patch the A pilars, I also have the panels from the ‘69 which are in better shape.

20220614_172924.jpg

This is everything up to this point. Waiting on steel order call to pick up to continue.

Plan at this point is to start with the rear sill. I will be using 2x3 3/16 wall rectangular tube, with sleeved holes for new body mounts. I will be using ¼ inch UHMW sheet as body mounts and to sandwich between roll cage mounts, as my roll cage will be tied into the frame anyways.

Will then patch bottoms of b-pillars and tack up the new quarters. Will then add a 3x5 ¼ wall angle as a cross member to mimic the step in the floor pan it originally had. This will also have body mounts tied in. I will then start on the rockers, which will have built in sliders/side steps made of 2x6 3/16 wall rectangular tube. These sliders will tie into the frame and serve as body mounts. Roll cage will come next. Floor pans last. I am considering framing the floor pans with angle iron and making them removable, as they wont be a structural part of the body anymore.

Hoping to make some good progress over the next month or two, goal is to have body and cage done, maybe painted and remounted by fall. If I can get it to that point, would probably be motivated to work on it over the winter in the garage.

Fantastic progress, a ton of it for sure. Two non-cruiser thoughts popped into my mind reading your story to-date:
1) How do your neighbors enjoy their new(ish) neighbor with the land cruiser wrecking/assembly yard? 😝
2) Did you have to fly during your temporary metal infusion in your hand, and if so, what was your explanation for setting off the scanner alarms? 😝 😝

Great work, for an online trained mechanic 😝 😝 😝!

Fantastic progress, a ton of it for sure. Two non-cruiser thoughts popped into my mind reading your story to-date:
1) How do your neighbors enjoy their new(ish) neighbor with the land cruiser wrecking/assembly yard? 😝
2) Did you have to fly during your temporary metal infusion in your hand, and if so, what was your explanation for setting off the scanner alarms? 😝 😝

Great work, for an online trained mechanic 😝 😝 😝!
Older lady next door is very nice and told me she doesn't care as long as its on my property, old guy across the street is a double purple heart Vietnam vet who used to build hot rods back in the day and likes to stop by and ask about it when he sees me out there... local cop drives by multiple times daily and has never said a word... I know I'm breaking at least a few city ordinances but no one cares, which is why I moved out of the city :)
It has gotten much better now that I am done tearing them apart, but need to sell some parts...
Fortunately have not had to fly, that would have been interesting!

Hey, looking good! I noticed that you have studs and nuts for those inner spindle-to-knuckle fasteners... I have a 1980 40 series and it has bolts. It's a pain getting that whole assembly onto the knuckle and would be so much easier if there were studs to hang everything off of. Probably could use stronger fasteners as well?

Was that a mod, or did they come with studs in '79?

Hey, looking good! I noticed that you have studs and nuts for those inner spindle-to-knuckle fasteners... I have a 1980 40 series and it has bolts. It's a pain getting that whole assembly onto the knuckle and would be so much easier if there were studs to hang everything off of. Probably could use stronger fasteners as well?

Was that a mod, or did they come with studs in '79?

I used a spindle stud conversion kit from low range off-road, I believe they were always bolts. Price seems to have gone up. They also have a detailed instructional series on YouTube showing the complete tear down and assembly procedure on a mini truck front axle, but knuckles are basically the same . Was very helpful for me.

Where in Minnesota are you at? I'm in Northfield.

Where in Minnesota are you at? I'm in Northfield.
Rockford, out near Buffalo. It's a small world, my uncle from up north told me he sold his '71 (last 40 he owned) to someone here. I had also posted some parts on craigslist, and got an email from someone just across the highway with an '82 he's doing a gozzard tub conversion on.

Rockford, out near Buffalo. It's a small world, my uncle from up north told me he sold his '71 (last 40 he owned) to someone here. I had also posted some parts on craigslist, and got an email from someone just across the highway with an '82 he's doing a gozzard tub conversion on.

It is so rare I see a 40 in the wild in Minnesota. Since becoming obsessed a few years ago, I've seen maybe three or four that weren't expected. I've been literally chased down a couple of times by other people, but haven't had the opportunity to do the same.

Been thinking about it more. I’m thinking the best way to do this is to trim these ‘79 rails, and tack them to the quarters while off the truck. That way I can more easily manipulate them to fit flush it I want. Then, I can cut out the rusty rails, bolt these ones to the hard top sides, slide the top side post into the B pillar hole, tack the quarter to the sill, then tack to the b pillar. Then take off the side and finish welding up the rail to the b pillar. Oh well, at least I got some practice on the rusty ones.

The PO of this '79 must have loved Bondo, there was about 1/4" of it on BOTH sides and globbed up into the corners. Hit it with the weed burner and was able to easily scrape out the inner flange, trimmed it the same as the others and clamped up to the quarter. Might do the other one tomorrow then start seeing if I can get the quarters to fit flush.
20220622_183112.jpg

20220622_202131.jpg

20220622_202058.jpg
20220622_202055.jpg
20220622_202046.jpg

Got some more done. Got both top rails trimmed, stripped paint and cleaned up. Was very disappointed to find out paint strippers no longer have methylene chloride thanks to the EPA and don't work nearly as well. I haven't used it much but when I had years ago I remember it working awesome and being able to wipe the wrinkled paint off with a towel. Not so much anymore. Oh well.

I decided I wanted the new 3/16 quarters so sit flush to look more original. The top rail is made of 16ga, which is about 1/16". As is the original quarter. My metal cutting disk is 1/16". So I ran my cutting disk right along the flange to cut it off, which also gave a perfect relief of about 3/16" for the new quarters to sit flush. I may make a new flange, or just weld to the quarter as is. I will also need to trim the ends of the quarters now since they have been moved in.
20220625_195949.jpg

20220625_202701.jpg

20220625_202831.jpg

20220625_203100.jpg

20220625_210247.jpg

Good for you - Better one GOOD 40 out of several to be put back in use than them all rotting away………. Dr. Frankenstein would be impressed 🤣

Got a little more done today. Removed 2 broken bolts, sand blasted out the inside of the rails best I could, and made a little tool to help with the spots I couldn't shoot. Worked ok.

20220626_113407.jpg

Then sprayed the inside with cold galv. I am also using this as a weld through primer. Makes me feel better this spot got cleaned up, it isn't otherwise accessable. Need to clean up and straighten my cut for the quarter, should have gone slower.

20220626_143131.jpg

20220626_143202.jpg

Will be picking up steel this week, will hopefully have some time next weekend but have family visiting. May get the rails tacked to the quarters this week.

Wow what a great project at 22 years old.I really enjoyed your pics and words So glad you went to newer CV style axles 78 & up were the strongest. I am sure you know you can buy the inner rear wheel what ever they called and buy new rear pieces for the rear your doors sit above.
Sorry I am oxygen most always but out in the garage playing on my 83 so I get dumb when sats go down
Just get all the pieces you need before you start welding so everything lines up fits like a glove.
Well done I must say I was installing chevy engines in my small and big blocks the chevy power steering and stuff like that at your age.You will learn lots with body work but seeing most will be new it will not be hard with the right tools.
Are you in Canada or USA ?Harbor freight carries a lot of cheaper air sanders and air boards cheap got enough for a handi man but won't last a pro but also much cheaper just not made to last forever but most stuff doesn't last anymore any how.
I did a huge lift years ago talk to downy toyota advance adapter as back then were no kits you have to build it all.
They both said cannot be done well I said we put man on the moon I sure I guess this handled.
It was so simple I took a zip disk cut though were welded at the ends of front housing near I was though went it appeared blue so I could put the steering back to factory specs so it didn't drive like a grader Lol.
I had a very short drive shaft as had a V8 in so but couldn't figure out how to make it steer as I lost about 8 or more inches dropping the diff from on top to below the springs.
I had a dream how to make it work again so easy kind off in theroy
made like a S to allow for height difference used strong steel moly if I recall I did this was like at least around 1978 so went to machine shops to get it bend and threaded as one end was metic toyota end tie rod the other was starnard not like I had a huge press nor finding a metic threbing ad well no one really had them back then.
The minute I said what it was for the machine shops said not a chance were making that you could sue us if didn't work & broke.How could it really
So the last shop that had the metic threader I said building a off road go kart
Well no problem
I was going to weld in gussets but that weekend we went on a trip to hell & back I was running 44 inch monster mudders tires as that all you could buy they were such crap out of round too as the mold was well used was my guess.
Well this trip to a nice lake well took 4 days to go 100 miles if you got out of your truck you sank up to your you know what.
I was lucky really the other all drove chevy or dodges no fords I recall so I was never in both ruts very deep.
I went most of the way in 2 wheel drive as someone thought it would be funny to turn my hubs to not engaged was funny but they could fiqure how I made it so far in in 2 wheel drive Such a sweet trip really lots of winching for most I finally got very stuck couldnt open passenger door I was so deep in mud so locked my hubs in and drove the rest of the trip not getting stuck love FJ40
I somehow got a diesel a B I still have the body done but runs so sweet the brakes were so rusted out the vacuum canister so made a new one out of 4 inch plumbing abs and capped the ends threaded in to hook up the power brakes again.Cost like 10.00 the dealer quoted the guy I brought from like 2000.00
I never went back to gas until my 1983 gas which is all toyota powered suits me fine .I no longer need to cruise at 90mph and was all drum brakes with them 44 s would take a football field to stop it at high speeds.Funny how we change as we get older and start having kids.
You will get to that but keep up the great work if you want to jerk that unit up you know how simple it is
All the crazy 4x4ing I did and really crazy places were my passenger would cry and ask are you coming back this way after as he jump out a trip in the mountains and waited 5 days for our return.
Such fun you have a blast with yours and I always drove Yamaha It bike 2 stroke so river crossing we swin with our bikes across turn them upside down get the water out and off we go again.Every weekend for two years I been gone from my wife she didnt care for camping we never had tents if it rain I sleep in my truck or underneath with a blow up floater for a swimming pool.My oldest was like 2 until I got smart and stayed home with my wife and help with the kids plus we did into some terrible places where we could have died easy but never thought that way back then.
Please keep your story going & I have to say I so proud of you attempting this your doing great job buddy and your will learn so much really and will always come in handi.I did learn body work as a friend would fix a bunch of toys we built and made me learn & I am so thankful as would never have what I do if I had to pay a body shop.Her I show you a picture of mine I replaced pieces that I didn't have to but never had a FJ with no rust so pre brought the parts and had a friend here help me but he screw up my inner fenders pieced them together when he should have replaced them and the floor which is mint all the floors are I strip the front clip no rust anywhere. waste of time took pictures and never received them so really cannot prove anything but dismantled every nuts 7b bolts broke one which was under drivers running board even the signal light undid with out breaking and they never seem to come off. Maybe where I live in Alberta Canada had even some 2 years old take the roof 10 ml bolts off some would break but not this FJ

IMG_3666.JPG

Last edited:
Hey sorry I went on & on but as I say take away a person oxygen and you seem to ramble on & on so sorry anyone who thought I said to much I know I do !!!!!
truck was done years ago it still mint no rust and man that was years ago now.
So I should add fit everything together tack it put he rook on make sure it fits the doors should be OK as you can adjust them or myself I tack it fit the rear doors them finish welding with a mig & you be safe. I seem a few where guys could even put the roof on as so out of square & really what the rush your doing a great job!!!!!! the seats are mint the entire truck looks new but so mad they ruining the inner wheel wells patching instead of doing it right I was there most days but had to leave for a week and came back and they rushed it but most would never notice but myself I never cared how long it takes just do it right so that way I so impressed with your workmanship

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

Hey sorry I went on & on but as I say take away a person oxygen and you seem to ramble on & on so sorry anyone who thought I said to much I know I do !!!!!
truck was done years ago it still mint no rust and man that was years ago now.
So I should add fit everything together tack it put he rook on make sure it fits the doors should be OK as you can adjust them or myself I tack it fit the rear doors them finish welding with a mig & you be safe. I seem a few where guys could even put the roof on as so out of square & really what the rush your doing a great job!!!!!! the seats are mint the entire truck looks new but so mad they ruining the inner wheel wells patching instead of doing it right I was there most days but had to leave for a week and came back and they rushed it but most would never notice but myself I never cared how long it takes just do it right so that way I so impressed with your workmanship

View attachment 3044081

View attachment 3044082

Always appreciate a story, thanks for sharing and the compliments 🙂. I'm from Minnesota, and yes my tool collection largely consists of stuff from harbor freight. Lots of great affordable air tools, have picked up a few spray guns and die grinders for 9.99 when on sale. Grinders are still working great. They will also replace hand tools no questions asked. I always spend more than planned when I walk in there... Hope that by the time I am done with this project I won't be needing for much tool-wise for future projects (but I am already hurting for space in the garage haha), I have stopped tracking how much I have spent on tools...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom