Am I Nuts for Considering a Cruiser Purchase in Today's Market? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you think of this from carmax? 113k miles, but one owner and all records from toyota dealer. BTW i reserved it yesterday and now it is inbound for carmax near me, hopefully $350 transportation wouldnt go to waste if i find something wrong with it. I will be trading my 2021 gx460 i purchased in july a little under MSRP but including extra dealer protection 3m clear thing so the tradein will make it good buy in my case since carmax is offering me $60k for tradein on my gx with 7700 miles on it.
run a carfax on it. the autocheck isn't a comprehensive tool compared to carfax IMO. I found a few cars with "clean" autocheck but some dings on carfax, like minor accidents. Look it over closely, in the first photo there looks to be a connector hanging down from the gas pedal? also, why are the factory center caps missing? etc. good luck on your search. Patience goes a long way..

run a carfax on it. the autocheck isn't a comprehensive tool compared to carfax IMO. I found a few cars with "clean" autocheck but some dings on carfax, like minor accidents. Look it over closely, in the first photo there looks to be a connector hanging down from the gas pedal? also, why are the factory center caps missing? etc. good luck on your search. Patience goes a long way..
Ran carfax and it DOES have accident from 03/2020 which isnt reported, says minor and vehicle towed. i guess $400 wasted for transfer but atleast i am not buying an accidented cruiser. will just test drive and report back if someone else will be interested in buying this cruiser. Definitely will not buy an accidented cruiser in this market at these prices.

Like nearly everyone else has already said, I too would wait. The economy is going to see a large tumble soon and it'll reset a lot of things and I imagine this insane car market is one of them. Keep up your search daily and be ready to strike quickly when the right one comes along.

I wonder if you can get a refund for your shipping fee because of the misrepresentation of the vehicle history.

Last edited:

Man what was annoying for both the CarMax check and Carfax in my case was that there was missing service that came out when I took the car to Lexus. There was some 90k mile work done that wasn't showing up. It was good to see that the work was done, but as a perspective buyer, it's info that can assist your decision

Is everyone aware of free comprehensive vin check through Lexus Drivers?

The best way to check is through your insurance contact. Call your agent and supply the vin asking if they can check for you. Carfax isn't 100%.

Give it 6 months man, we are about to have (are having) a massive global economic crisis lol.
Demand is already eroding and shriveling up left and right. Housing market is already tipping.
The ponzi dollar and leveraged economy is fully exposed for everyone to see now, tin foil hat crew and normies alike.

Spot on. Things are at the tipping point. A few days/weeks/months away at most - s*** is going to hit the fan in a huge way, and prices for all non-essentials are likely to free fall in short order. No way in hell I'd buy a vehicle right now.

What do you think of this from carmax? 113k miles, but one owner and all records from toyota dealer. BTW i reserved it yesterday and now it is inbound for carmax near me, hopefully $350 transportation wouldnt go to waste if i find something wrong with it. I will be trading my 2021 gx460 i purchased in july a little under MSRP but including extra dealer protection 3m clear thing so the tradein will make it good buy in my case since carmax is offering me $60k for tradein on my gx with 7700 miles on it.

Based on my experience, they put new tires on it that will okay but not great. If accessories, like hitch plate, entertainment bits, are missing you are on your own. But then if you discover amenities like a remote start that they didn't. Your bonus.

If you want a comparison 18 months I bought 2015 with 35k miles for 55k (another 5k for taxes)

Ran carfax and it DOES have accident from 03/2020 which isnt reported, says minor and vehicle towed. i guess $400 wasted for transfer but atleast i am not buying an accidented cruiser. will just test drive and report back if someone else will be interested in buying this cruiser. Definitely will not buy an accidented cruiser in this market at these prices.

FWIW, when I dealt with Car-Max IIRC I saw the Car-Fax beforehand. It might have been because I first found it on a secondary site. I would speak to the manager about the accident not being mentioned before you paid to it have transferred. In my case, they transferred it before I gave them my okay. Then wanted me to pay for it the transfer. In the end I did not and I bought the vehicle.

I would not even be looking with current used market prices. However do what makes you happy. Good Luck

The people predicting an imminent crash have been saying that for years. If it turns out they’re right.. you already have your rig, that you’ll probably love, and not care what you paid for it. Actually you’ll probably like the cheap fuel. If it doesn’t happen, they’ll keep saying “just wait.”

My take is if you can afford it and it’s the right one, get it. These rigs tend to be quick to build an emotional connection.. most of us would agree they are “special.”

Just avoid rust if the plan is to keep it for a long time.

If you can admit to yourself that this purchase is illogical and largely emotional, the money ends up not really mattering in the long run… assuming that the purchase is made with discretionary funds. That being said, I would highly suggest purchasing a southern vehicle. A fly and drive is a great way to bond you to the vehicle and gives you a story to tell.

The people predicting an imminent crash have been saying that for years.
But inflation is transitory!

I expect used vehicle prices will settle down a bit once all manufacturers and dealers can fully restock their lots. Not a crash in prices, but prices should decrease a bit back to historical levels and vehicles should begin depreciating again, not appreciating to the point where you can't buy a used vehicle today, drive it for a year, and sell it for more tomorrow.

Side note: If vehicle pricing remains high into 2023, I predict new car prices will not significantly decline as inventories come back. The longer prices stay high, the moire people become accustom to the new prices. The manufacturers have been absorbing the higher cost of manufacturing battery electric vehicles but I foresee them using the inflated prices to help offset those increased costs rather than reducing vehicle costs for consumers. I'm not an economist though

Im not an economist, but i do pretend to be one.

Im not sure how this post is relevant to tech in the first place (i dont mind either though), but its taking everything resisting turning this into a economic discussion LOL.
I also have a good idea of the political spectrum of MUD but of course would enjoy hearing more on that too for science :).
Or covid / vaccines for that matter muahahaha, if that doesn't start a s***show i dont know what does these days.

As far as a matter of what i would tell OP if he were my son? Never chase after anything, principles matter. Dont simp.
Also real world prices literally cannot continue to increase forever (in the near term).
Peoples salaries and collective purchase power are very real and inelastic when you are not talking about paper wealth like a portfolio.

Crash or not (LOL if you think this; i have some charts (not TA) that will change your mind) at the very least selection and competition will normalize.
I know way too many people that hate their new house which they bid +20% on.
Yes son, lesson #2 the chase is often times better than the catch.

Also all the money is very fake.
Here is an amuse-bouche of a chart. Yes new paradigm indeed, paradigm of the dollar bubble.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 7.56.13 AM.png

Im not an economist, but i do pretend to be one.

Im not sure how this post is relevant to tech in the first place (i dont mind either though), but its taking everything resisting turning this into a economic discussion LOL.
I also have a good idea of the political spectrum of MUD but of course would enjoy hearing more on that too for science :).
Or covid / vaccines for that matter muahahaha, if that doesn't start a s***show i dont know what does these days.

As far as a matter of what i would tell OP if he were my son? Never chase after anything, principles matter. Dont simp.
Also real world prices literally cannot continue to increase forever (in the near term).
Peoples salaries and collective purchase power are very real and inelastic when you are not talking about paper wealth like a portfolio.

Crash or not (LOL if you think this; i have some charts (not TA) that will change your mind) at the very least selection and competition will normalize.
I know way too many people that hate their new house which they bid +20% on.
Yes son, lesson #2 the chase is often times better than the catch.

Also all the money is very fake.
Here is an amuse-bouche of a chart. Yes new paradigm indeed, paradigm of the dollar bubble.

View attachment 2858471
Gotta love zerohedge. Tyler is great at finding patterns after the fact to prove a point.

Run that same chart including fed overnight interest rates and you'll see a similar pattern. Private equity, pension funds, etc are all in search of returns since treasuries don't cut it when interest rates are near zero, hence all that bond $ gets dumped into the stock market in search of returns.

I would be patient and look for private seller. I lucked out last week on a 2014 Salsa Red with only 80k on the clock. Paid $50k. No regrets at all.

I would be patient and look for private seller. I lucked out last week on a 2014 Salsa Red with only 80k on the clock. Paid $50k. No regrets at all.

Did you sell the 470?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom