Am I crazy? 80 Series Tow rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is a 97 and I have frequently towed 7,000 lbs (trailer with rocks, dirt whatever) with no problem. Got to love when you do it the day after wheeling and you're accelerating, blowing by cars, going up a steep hill with 36's on. :D 'course it's got 4.56 and a blower. :flipoff2: :D

I know I'd get flack for posting this on the 80's list, but about 3 months ago, I towed 13,760 lbs with it (no, that does not include my beater or my fat butt). We only went about 200 miles, and it was slow, but we got there. .... of course I deserve a good buttkick for that, but then again, I do for lots of other things too. :flipoff2: :D

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29388 date=1059517790]
You just need to buy the real ultimate diesel from me. My 8.0L Hino J08C TI. Big fat inline 6, it haul whatcha brung. 550+ lb/ft torque. Toyota parts for toyota vehicles.
[/quote]
Will it go into a 40? What about mating to an Sm420. If the price is right that would be one kick ass engine to have.

You may want to have a look at the comments on the 80 list about towing (I think it's the one where Junk gets the A** kicking :D :D).

The problem is not getting the load moving, the problem is controlling the load - braking, swerving, etc without killing you and all the others around you!

I think the conversation ended with - if you need a good tow rig to tow lots of #s, then go and buy a big diesel.

Cheers, Hugh

Dad Primarily bought the Manual FZJ80R for Towing his 20' Caravan(Electric Brakes) that weighs about 2,500kg, with a Hayman Reese Weight Distributing Hitch.

Only Problems are: Dad would have prefered the 1HZ and the Weight Distributing Hitch puts alot of force thoughout the Truck.

Maximum Braked Trailer Weight is 3,500kg
Maximum non Braked Trailer Weight is 750kg
Maximum Ball Weight is 350kg

3,500kg is becouse that is the Maximum load you can Tow on a Car Licence, And 750kg is becouse it is an ADR(Australian Design Rule) thing. I guess you could Tow 4,000kg with Break away Brakes.

I used my 94 80 series to pull my buggy to Moab and back to calli. The rig and trailer weighs 3800 lbs. It was slow over the hills but did the job in style.

I tow my race car on a regular basis with my 80 (probably a 4,000 lb load). On relatively flat land it was fine. It towed back and forth to Putnam Park race course at about 80mph and really only struggled up hills and passing.

I modded the 80 with the TRD SC and water injection and now it does not struggle in any situation anymore. I can pass going up hills, etc. and it seems to have more room to pull quite a bit more weight.

Mike

>> On relatively flat land it was fine.

This is the key operative. I personally do not like towing anything, primarily because of the numerous hazards already stated, but also because the un-supercharged 1FZ is a real dog when grades are involved.

I just returned from a 1000mi + trip in Calif's Sierra Nevada - with elevations ranging from 4K - 10K feet - and grades 4-6% being quite numerous, and occasionlly 8%. The stock 1FZ is not up to extended hauling anywhere near it's rated capacity under these conditions. It simply does not have the reserve power.

Want to tow with it, get a supercharger... or move to NJ where the land is flat. ;)

Cheers, R -

It's interesting that the Oz 80 tow capacity is 3500 kg. I recall a thread on 80scool about international towing capacity differences. Can't recvall the conclusion.

If you are thinking of buying a well depreciated 93-94 I expect the mileage may be high enough to make you think twice about a supercharger if the expense does not. Even if you add one, I believe a supercharger makes the engine run hotter unless you can negate that effect with other mods. I still say running the motor hot is the main reason not to tow 5,000lbs in a cruiser on a regular basis.

A diesel or v8 is a better solution. ???

Just as you lose acceleration with bigger tires, you lose deceleration. That was the only reason I went with stock diameter tires, I was towing 100 miles/day for my construction job. These brakes are good, and trailer brakes help, but I wouldn't tow frequently or at my weight limit with reduced braking. My brother tows over 6000# occasionally cross-country with his '94, it does amazingly well. He's had the trailer brakes fail on a steep descent and made a panic stop successfully. We both have air-lift bags and stock suspension. These rigs are great for towing.

[quote author=semlin link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29561 date=1059592993]
It's interesting that the Oz 80 tow capacity is 3500 kg.

[/quote]

They know that down under everyone allready has 4000 lbs in the back of there 80 :)

you see some pretty big rigs around sometimes, the 80s 105s and now the 100s have been favourites for years, and the only thing really capable of towing anything long distances in style. But now that that ford f series has come back, they seem to be the weapon of choice for ppl with money.

by far the most common tow rig around here is the 75series trayback, they are even used for goosenecks, and multi-trailer rigs (on properties) which would weigh easily more than 3tonne. Granted they dont go very fast though.

they are all diesel though, 2h, 1hz, 1hd-fte, i dont think i know anyone with enough money to use a petrol cruiser as a tow rig. but maybe i'm not in with the city crowd? :-\

[quote author=Chris Geiger link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=0#msg29636 date=1059621615]
They know that down under everyone allready has 4000 lbs in the back of there 80 :)
[/quote]
LOL - talking about Rogue's momma again. :flipoff2: :eek: :D :D :D :D

OK,

Joking aside, I have used my 80 to tow a 3700 lb boat since I bought it new. It has performed well. I must admit that post-blower it is much more fun than before. As with towing ANYTHING, the critical areas are controling the vehicle and STOPPING it. Trailer brakes are a MUST-HAVE and it doesn't hurt to have some practice manuvering such a rig. Whenever you tow a trailer you MUST NEVER FORGET what you have behind you and you need to anticipate your actions and the actions of others around you. It is a bunch easier to get into trouble with a trailer and it is a helluva lot harder to get out of trouble with one behind you.

Bottom line, learn and remember how your combination acts/reacts and be competent in operating it.

off-topic, does anyone else think its strange that just anyone can drive a motor home with a car and a boat piggyback without a special license?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I may just have to look into getting one for towing duties and wheelin'. Just have to get the quadrasteer I have now sold once the wife gets here van.

I just got back from towing my 4000lb boat to Powell River(north of Vancouver B.C.) and back to Fernie,(just north of Kalispell Montana). Several 3000-5000' uphills with grades to 10%(on the cocahalla(sp). It was 98 to 102 degrees. My 97 has Arb with m12000, j springs, slee sliders, slee rearbump & tire carrier, is supercharged, as well has 315s. On the hills, ac off and rpm a constant 3000 in 2nd and on the steepest grades 1st at 3000 rpm (23mph). Had to watch the temp like a hawk, and never let it get past 2/3 up the temp guage. Even put the heater on on one particularly steep section. There were overheated cars, trucks, motorhomes etc all over the place. Slow going but it worked. Time to order 4.56 or 4.88s.
Sean

When I was having temp problems towing last month, I found that letting the truck decide which gear to use USUALLY resulted in slightly lower temps than when I manually shifted to lower gears. At slow speeds, it seems that lower rpm's is better.

Ed

[quote author=MTNRAT link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=30#msg30005 date=1059839838]
I just got back from towing my 4000lb boat to Powell River(north of Vancouver B.C.) and back to Fernie,(just north of Kalispell Montana). Several 3000-5000' uphills with grades to 10%(on the cocahalla(sp). It was 98 to 102 degrees. My 97 has Arb with m12000, j springs, slee sliders, slee rearbump & tire carrier, is supercharged, as well has 315s. On the hills, ac off and rpm a constant 3000 in 2nd and on the steepest grades 1st at 3000 rpm (23mph). Had to watch the temp like a hawk, and never let it get past 2/3 up the temp guage. Even put the heater on on one particularly steep section. There were overheated cars, trucks, motorhomes etc all over the place. Slow going but it worked. Time to order 4.56 or 4.88s.
Sean
[/quote]

I read this and wonder why you would want to tow 6,000lbs in a non-supercharged 80 (the original post IIRC) - maybe occasionally, but not regularly. I'm worried about towing 1,000lbs of bike and trailer! :(

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=thorvald link=board=2;threadid=3986;start=30#msg29820 date=1059714933]
off-topic, does anyone else think its strange that just anyone can drive a motor home with a car and a boat piggyback without a special license?
[/quote]

Reading the DMV code book I don't think you can do there here in California. It seems there is a difference between an articulated rig and a trailer. A semi truck and trailer is one articulated rig, with a trailer behind it. Two trailers are not allowed. So you can (with a special license) drive a pickup w/ 5th wheel and tow a boat or car (not both) behine the 5er.

Driving my Motorhome with my car trailer and buggy on top is quite a handfull. It's not something I would ever trust my wife to drive. I don't know how you can teach driving something like this but personally I started with the motor home, got used to it, then added the unloaded trailer and drove at low speeds to get use to it. It's my thinking that the guys that just load everything up and blast down the freeway at full speed are the ones most likily to cuase problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom