Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, there is no such thing as bearing mount sealant. The journal on the shaft and bore in the housing have to be the correct size to support the bearing load. In the case of some bearing installations, the full floating rear axle bearings, for example, the press is in the housing and the bearing slips on the shaft. This is done for purely practical reasons; you can't get a puller on the bearing when it's in the housing, mounted on the shaft.

In the case of a motor, or alternator/generator, with a soft metal housing, the fit should be fairly close, size for size (meaning the bore and journal, or outer race and bore, should be the same size) or a very light press (0.0001-inch). Usually, the bearing is pressed into the housing, again for practical reasons, not engineering requirements. If your bearings slips onto the shaft, but without any observable wobble (of the inner race), it's probably OK. If it falls into the housing, you have a problem. Since the housing is aluminum and the bearing is hardened steel, it'll spin and the fit will continue to open as it does. Eventually, the bearing will fail, because it's not spinning true to the intended rotor axis. And then you really have a housing in need of a sleeve, or replacement.

Bearing fits for even simple Conrad-type bearings, like those used in motors, are critical for bearing life. The air gap in an electric motor between the rotor and stator has been designed to be constant, to prevent field fluctuation, and to prevent collision when operating (remember it's not sealed, so crap can get in there), so the bearing has to do its job well.

As I mentioned above, especially since this is an aluminum housing, the "correct" solution is to open the housing bore, sleeve it (say with a bronze sleeve) and then press the bearing in the sleeve. You'll nee a lathe to do this, (well, it could be done on a mill with a flycutter, but that would be harder, and some genius with a lot of money could do it on a 5-axis CNC, but anyway...). This is what I would do, if my 40 need a new alternator and I couldn't get the correct parts, but I'm a rabbit-hole guy. Most everyone would tell you to get a new Rock Auto alternator and move on with life.

Alternately, you could try Loctite 262, which is designed for threads, but it doesn't know the difference when it's put on, and as long as the heat doesn't get above the operating temperature of the Loctite, it'll probably be OK. That way, when the bearing does need to be replaced, you can apply a little heat and the Loctite will soften enough to allow you to get the bearing out. It'll be toast at that point anyway, so the heat won't bother it.

No, there is no such thing as bearing mount sealant. The journal on the shaft and bore in the housing have to be the correct size to support the bearing load. In the case of some bearing installations, the full floating rear axle bearings, for example, the press is in the housing and the bearing slips on the shaft. This is done for purely practical reasons; you can't get a puller on the bearing when it's in the housing, mounted on the shaft.

In the case of a motor, or alternator/generator, with a soft metal housing, the fit should be fairly close, size for size (meaning the bore and journal, or outer race and bore, should be the same size) or a very light press (0.0001-inch). Usually, the bearing is pressed into the housing, again for practical reasons, not engineering requirements. If your bearings slips onto the shaft, but without any observable wobble (of the inner race), it's probably OK. If it falls into the housing, you have a problem. Since the housing is aluminum and the bearing is hardened steel, it'll spin and the fit will continue to open as it does. Eventually, the bearing will fail, because it's not spinning true to the intended rotor axis. And then you really have a housing in need of a sleeve, or replacement.

Bearing fits for even simple Conrad-type bearings, like those used in motors, are critical for bearing life. The air gap in an electric motor between the rotor and stator has been designed to be constant, to prevent field fluctuation, and to prevent collision when operating (remember it's not sealed, so crap can get in there), so the bearing has to do its job well.

As I mentioned above, especially since this is an aluminum housing, the "correct" solution is to open the housing bore, sleeve it (say with a bronze sleeve) and then press the bearing in the sleeve. You'll nee a lathe to do this, (well, it could be done on a mill with a flycutter, but that would be harder, and some genius with a lot of money could do it on a 5-axis CNC, but anyway...). This is what I would do, if my 40 need a new alternator and I couldn't get the correct parts, but I'm a rabbit-hole guy. Most everyone would tell you to get a new Rock Auto alternator and move on with life.

Alternately, you could try Loctite 262, which is designed for threads, but it doesn't know the difference when it's put on, and as long as the heat doesn't get above the operating temperature of the Loctite, it'll probably be OK. That way, when the bearing does need to be replaced, you can apply a little heat and the Loctite will soften enough to allow you to get the bearing out. It'll be toast at that point anyway, so the heat won't bother it.
Loctite makes several variations of Bearing Mount and Bearing Retaining compound. Loctite 620, 680.

Amazon product ASIN B01LRDVBLK
There is more play then I would like, although once the top is in place it spins OK. I would be worried that the outer race could slip in the bearing seat.

I think the advertising copy is misleading. These retaining compounds are intended for new designs (that is, new components, not repair of worn components), and only then for components which can tolerate misalignment, such as sheaves, pulleys or coarse, low precision gears (like conveyor drives, for example). Henkel does not market these products for the purpose you're proposing, as far as I am aware. Having said that, I have worked for many years among millwrights for whom banana peels and JB Weld were essential tools. Of course, they were only proficient at delaying the inevitable, not at actually implementing repair solutions based upon sound engineering principles.

As I said above, you can certainly try these, or threadlocker, which I recommended because I know it's readily available. Just understand that none of them were designed to be used to repair worn seats or journals.

You are correct, in that if the fit between the housing and outer race is not tight enough, the bearing will "spin" and not rotate internally as designed. You should also understand that rotational speed matters to bearing misalignment tolerances. A large slowly rotating bearing can tolerate misalignment much better than a small bearing rotating at several thousand rpm. A "spun" bearing will adversely affect the shaft journal/housing bore fit, eventually making the supporting component unusable unless repaired to original design condition. Additionally, as the bearing spins without sufficient support, it will wobble, and this motion will wear the internal features as well.

If the bearing were much larger, you could stake it. Unfortunately, that is not a reasonable option here. If you have the time available, I'd recommend finding a new(er) housing with a better fit. Or sleeving this one.

FWIW, this is the Loctite page:
1655836132386.png

Unlike the Amazon page, which is designed to sell you stuff, this page is intended to acquaint a user with the product and its intended uses. Nowhere on this page, or in the linked TDS, does Henkel mention using this for rolling bearings.

Looking back at the photos you posted, I think there's probably enough wall thickness in the bearing housing part of the casting to cut out a few thousandths and line it with precision brass shim stock. If the fit is loose enough, you may not have to do any more than make it round again. There's no way to "true" it up, since there doesn't appear to be any locating pins to center the front and rear housings, hence Toyota's (Denso's) kludge of lining the front housing with a damper.

I also didn't see a solution to your question about isolating the rectifier. I'd recommend a thin gasket material between the upper face of the rectifier and the lower face of the housing. Something like a flat O-ring would do the trick. I would stay away from miracles in a bottle like liquid electrical tape, and varnish will crack and shatter over time when it hardens and the trash will find its way into the air gap and bearings. It's good at electrically insulating, but not very good at all for vibration damping.

I think the advertising copy is misleading. These retaining compounds are intended for new designs (that is, new components, not repair of worn components), and only then for components which can tolerate misalignment, such as sheaves, pulleys or coarse, low precision gears (like conveyor drives, for example). Henkel does not market these products for the purpose you're proposing, as far as I am aware. Having said that, I have worked for many years among millwrights for whom banana peels and JB Weld were essential tools. Of course, they were only proficient at delaying the inevitable, not at actually implementing repair solutions based upon sound engineering principles.

As I said above, you can certainly try these, or threadlocker, which I recommended because I know it's readily available. Just understand that none of them were designed to be used to repair worn seats or journals.

You are correct, in that if the fit between the housing and outer race is not tight enough, the bearing will "spin" and not rotate internally as designed. You should also understand that rotational speed matters to bearing misalignment tolerances. A large slowly rotating bearing can tolerate misalignment much better than a small bearing rotating at several thousand rpm. A "spun" bearing will adversely affect the shaft journal/housing bore fit, eventually making the supporting component unusable unless repaired to original design condition. Additionally, as the bearing spins without sufficient support, it will wobble, and this motion will wear the internal features as well.

If the bearing were much larger, you could stake it. Unfortunately, that is not a reasonable option here. If you have the time available, I'd recommend finding a new(er) housing with a better fit. Or sleeving this one.
I have two identical rotors that both fit the same in the housing. No apparent wear in the housing. So I'm wondering if the bolting the halves together put sufficient force to hold the lower bearing in place?

Without knowing what the original design specs on the fits were, I can only give recommendations on what typical fits are/should be. If new bearings fit into new housings loosely, give it a try and see how long it lasts. Given the mounting arrangement at the front, with three screws holding the outer race in place, you may well be correct.

FWIW, I've never rebuilt a '60s era alternator. The oldest one I've personally rebuilt is the '90s era 80 series and they have bearings pressed into the housings on both ends.

Without knowing what the original design specs on the fits were, I can only give recommendations on what typical fits are/should be. If new bearings fit into new housings loosely, give it a try and see how long it lasts. Given the mounting arrangement at the front, with three screws holding the outer race in place, you may well be correct.

FWIW, I've never rebuilt a '60s era alternator. The oldest one I've personally rebuilt is the '90s era 80 series and they have bearings pressed into the housings on both ends.
Well, judging how the bearings fit in both housing very similar, I'm thinking that when the two halves are bolted together it seats the bottom bearing against the housing and keeps the bearing secure.

Well the alternator is back together finally and working. I have learned a few things.

- pay attention to insulating spacers between the rectifier plate and the terminal post contact area on the positive side only. These are not needed on the negative side and must NOT be used on the negative side.

- make sure you have insulator washers on both positive posts. Failure to do so will ground out your rectifier. Again, none should be used on the negative side.

- To properly bench test an alternator using a 12v battery, measure and record battery voltage and connect 12v+ to B terminal and 12v- to alternator housing. Also connect 12v+ to F (field). Connect multimeter to 12v+ and 12v- points and turn alternator with drill. Observe output, it should read above initial voltage recorded earlier. Usually 13-14v.

20220706_103712.jpg

20220706_103704.jpg

Well the alternator is back together finally and working. I have learned a few things.

- pay attention to insulating spacers between the rectifier plate and the terminal post contact area on the positive side only. These are not needed on the negative side and must NOT be used on the negative side.

- make sure you have insulator washers on both positive posts. Failure to do so will ground out your rectifier. Again, none should be used on the negative side.

- To properly bench test an alternator using a 12v battery, measure and record battery voltage and connect 12v+ to B terminal and 12v- to alternator housing. Also connect 12v+ to F (field). Connect multimeter to 12v+ and 12v- points and turn alternator with drill. Observe output, it should read above initial voltage recorded earlier. Usually 13-14v.

View attachment 3052296

View attachment 3052297

most excellent

can ypu post some tech pics of the final assembled unit and installed on your rig

and maybe a TECH VIDEO too ?

LONG LIVE
NIPPONDENSO ! :)

7142713484435816968_1 - Copy (3)12 - Copy.png

Btw, I went with the black finish because it's a high heat paint that I baked on in the oven. I also did that with my oil filter.

- did u have the original SRE GRILL cover for the back side ?

I have both chrome and
gold plated fans too

I’ll be happy to send you out 1 of each if you promise like cross your heart , you won’t paint my sexy gold and chrome bling work work ? :D:beer:

0F728402-4C5A-4D71-BD9A-7880A46BC950.jpeg
0403D9C9-B5E6-404A-9433-9BEDB4E18D53.jpeg
B5D5AD08-2A0D-455D-B46C-9A223823427C.jpeg
6D46C9FC-0579-4E45-AC9E-4CEEB642F079.jpeg
7E7EF459-C741-4BDE-9C56-1F98143645EA.jpeg

Last edited:
did u have a SRE GRILL cover for the back side ?
Oh yes I do, forgot that. Will have to bring that with me when I go install the grill. And if I remember, I will get a video posted.

One last task left. I discovered a PO had ran the ignition wire to the regulator off the ignition switch. I had pulled that since it wasn't shown on the wiring diagram. Of course without it I get no 12v to the Field coil on the alternator.

I traced the IGN wire on the regulator back to the 6 pin plug, but the wire dead ends there. It's supposed to go to the fuse panel. So I need to locate some 16 gauge white wire with a red strip and I think a male crimp pin for the connector. Photo attached. Plug in question is the top one.

20220609_133843.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom